Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When do you start planning for the next "year"

Part of the reason I have a general plan for such a long time is because I have to buy cheap/used so I am always on the lookout for things on my wishlist. I have things here that I found on a good price that my kids won't use for 5 years yet. (Actually I bought them for my oldest but he decided to go back to PS, and the price was too good for me to sell them and rebuy closer to time, and they aren't something that will become outdated). If there is anything expensive I need or I haven't found cheap for the coming year, I buy it at income tax time. So I buy in Feb for fall or whenever we get done with what we are working on.

Here is my line up:
Math: McRuffy (we hope to use this until 5th grade as long as Brian stays ahead of us) and we will then switch to Teaching Textbooks

Language Arts: This is one that I have not set in stone quite yet as far as plans go. Right now we are using Total Reading workbooks. I have all the Writing Strands, but won't begin them until about 4th or 5th grade with my littles. I found they work better if you wait on those (we will start with book 3). I have Easy Grammar, but I'm not sure I'm in love with it, and think I may just stick with the TR workbooks for grammar and reading comp. until middle school. Then I have Lightning Lit for 7th and 8th grade. I will let the kids choose their high school LA work for the most part.

Science, Social Studies, Art and Music we are following the Core Knowledge Sequence for, then we will move into Prentice Hall Science Explorer for science and Glencoe books for Social Studies. Art and Music will become interest led and I will buy what ever they have an interest in then.

Sommer wife to one really amazing man, Adam ,homeschooling momma to Garrett (12/98), Rylee (12/04), Reagan (12/05) and Cameron (5/09)
fawnlovesjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Registered Users

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
hmm...let me find you a link....At the top of this page. Click on "learn more"
that sounds awesome. I knew they were upgrading, and figured it would be I'm bummed we're already doing 1st! Although at the rate we're going now we'll still be able to get the new manual and use some of it by spring! I'm hoping we'll speed up after we take Keegan to the opotmetrist though.

As far as planning...we're already looking into stuff for next year. I haven't researched as much as I'd like yet, but I am beginning to look into things. We're not even a third of the way into MFW 1st yet. I will probably start buying any materials I plan to get used around the 1st of the year, but I probably won't get my curric package (will purchase new, from MFW) until we go to the homeschooling convention in April.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Registered Users

When I am ready to buy the next year's stuff. The only time this varies is when something isn't workingfor us, in which case, I may start looking earlier.

Oh, and I buy when we are ready to do the next year's work.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I start researching now and buy after tax refunds. Next year will be my first year with 2 "real" students as we are laid back for Kindergarten, and my K DS this year is extremely self-motivated. Next year I'll have a 3yr old, kindergartner, 1st grader, and a 3rd grader. I'm really going to have to get better organized and get MYSELF motivated better before then so as not to go crazy. I'm bouncing around from MFW, HOD, Abeka, and who knows what else for next year but slightly leaning towards HOD. Like many others, I think their website is kind of confusing as far as what goes with what guide to make it complete. I also like a different math than what they use, but I haven't found a phonics program that ever "fit" with my oldest. I know what doesn't work for us, I just don't know what does work. Plus, my oldest DS and younger DS have totally different learning styles and personalities. The oldest one is actually the most difficult to figure out since he hates workbooks & writing.
Heather - happily married to Adam since 2003 - homeschooling mama to Wyatt (9/04), Levi (9/06), Ryleigh (12/07), and Amelia (12/09)

Last edited by hac1224; 11-17-2012 at 09:11 PM.
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Registered Users

I start planning immediately after I start a new year. This year, I've already started making some purchases for next year...I plan on buying a few books each month so we don't have to make a large purchase at the beginning of the next year. I also have a good idea of what we'll be using for the next several years.
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote