Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Radian/Diono questions

I have DS2 in a Radian XTSL and I've been pretty happy with it. We're expecting #5 in Feb and I wanted another Radian, now Diono, but the less expensive ones don't have the headwings. Are these just for naptime support or do they offer any protection in a crash? We currently drive a 2004 nissan Quest. My plan is to move DS2 to the middle of the 3rd row, 9 yo twins on the sides in 3rd row (currently in backless boosters fx that at least one of them will be big enough to come out by then), ODD in 2nd row captain chair with #5 in the other.

If the headwings are safer, I'll get another one. If it doesn't make a difference, then I plan to get the cheapest new seat for DS2. The new baby can move to the XTSL with infant insert. I have 9-10lb babies and babywear, so skipping the bucket altogether.

And any suggestions for where to shop, or best price you've seen would be appreciated

Advertisement

mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Radian/Diono questions

The wings are supposed to add some side impact protection.

Keep in mind that the baby won't be able to use the wings (they need to be positioned at the top and out of the way) until he's tall enough for the 3rd harness slots. This is important; I forgot to adjust them once when changing between kids, and the baby got her head stuck under a head wing when her head flopped to the side as she fell asleep. Oops! If she'd been younger it might have been a real problem; as it was, it was just uncomfortable for her. Also, the seats with head wings get outgrown a little earlier because the shoulders will bump into the wings before the seat's entirely outgrown. So there are some arguments for getting the wingless model anyway.

I have one of each. I can't really decide which one I would pick if I had to do it over with. I like the wings, but there are things I don't like about them also.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote