Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

little boy pee smell

my son just turned 7 months and our prefolds are starting to have a pee smell after he wets. it isnt ammonia though :/ he hasnt broken out from any rashes yet. i do a cold prewash with a hot long wash and an extra rinse.

the dipes smell clean out of the washer and dryer. i wash every 2-3 days about 15-20 diapers max. i keep our dry pail open all the time. i use all f/c liquid (the powder causes build up

this has been a very sudden experience. owen is also eating 2 solids a day.

thanks in advance for any advice

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: little boy pee smell

Try a warm or even hot prerinse. If you have hard or even semi hard water you may need to add either calgon or borax to your wash as well.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Try a warm or even hot prerinse. If you have hard or even semi hard water you may need to add either calgon or borax to your wash as well.
i ll try that. hopefully my standard toploader will let me. you dont think he could have a uti do you? i have normal city water thanks for the help
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

The city doesn't soften the water. Sometimes it is naturally soft. Others purchase and install a water softener. We have city water and ours is semi hard.

A simple test to give you some idea of what you are dealing with water wise. Fill an empty bottle half way with water. Add a few drops of dish soAP and shake like crazy. If you have tons of bubbles like wanting to come out the top, you likely have soft water. If you have few or even no bubbles you have hard water. When I do this I get bubbles but not a whole lot. So I use borax and get great results that way.

Without other symptoms I doubt it is a UTI. Baby would almost certainly not be feeling well if it were the case.

To get my washer to use hot water instead of warm I simply turn the cold water spigot to my washer off. That way it can fill only with hot water. It does fill slower.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could it be buildup? I had to strip my prefolds around the 7-month mark, probably because I wasn't doing any extra rinses at the time.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
The city doesn't soften the water. Sometimes it is naturally soft. Others purchase and install a water softener. We have city water and ours is semi hard.

A simple test to give you some idea of what you are dealing with water wise. Fill an empty bottle half way with water. Add a few drops of dish soAP and shake like crazy. If you have tons of bubbles like wanting to come out the top, you likely have soft water. If you have few or even no bubbles you have hard water. When I do this I get bubbles but not a whole lot. So I use borax and get great results that way.

Without other symptoms I doubt it is a UTI. Baby would almost certainly not be feeling well if it were the case.

To get my washer to use hot water instead of warm I simply turn the cold water spigot to my washer off. That way it can fill only with hot water. It does fill slower.

its hard to tell through his behavior because all the symptoms he was/still has where written off due to teething by the pedi a week ago.

i threw the dipes in for a warn prewash. let see what happens! also i had a few bubbles in the bottle
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Are you completely sure it'd a problem smell? Newborn pee doesn't smell like much, and then it naturally smells stronger as they get bigger.

A tablespoon of washing soda (available at most grocery stores) can help too, and doesn't hurt fabric the way borax can.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Are you completely sure it'd a problem smell? Newborn pee doesn't smell like much, and then it naturally smells stronger as they get bigger. .

This is what I was wondering.......

It also smells stronger as they add solids.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

well if he isnt getting rashy and it isnt ammonia which would indicate concern i guess it may just be that we are experiencing a new stage of big boy pee. im a ftm so pee smells are not in my memory bank thanks ladies! ill try these things out