Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Two questions about wool!

My first: how do you shave wool once it starts getting pilly? I'm assuming higher quality yarn is better for not doing this?

Second: For those who use wool full time, do you use same pair of longies all day or would you rotate one or two pairs a day?

Advertisement

Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Two questions about wool!

I think most have a sweater shaver. I use a pair of scissors.

I try to change frequently during the day so generally use one outfit a day.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a crappy shaver from JoAnn's. Bad things would happen if I used scissors. Quality soft yarn (gaia or BFL) does pill quite a bit on an active kid. Cestari, MMR and BBR (although I've never used it) pill much less.

I also try to change frequently and I only have super absorbent fitteds. I tried skimping on the fitteds and it was a bad idea. I maybe do one outfit change a day.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use a cheap disposable razor to shave DD's woolies. I'm not positive, but I think the amount of pilling depends on the softness of the wool. Softer = more pills, sturdy = less pilling.

I change DD pretty often so we can usually can get away with the same pair all day. If it's damp then I'll let her go coverless or change her into a different pair. She's usually coverless at home anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
qtytot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I dint like pilling, i use a sweater shaver. Except for 2-3 that are Paton's, the rest of DD's stash are on either cestari, mmw or BBR.

I have 3-4 woollies that I rotate everyday. I change every time I change diapers and just hang the used one for later use. I usually wash every 2weeks, unless it gets soiled.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

I also try to change frequently and I only have super absorbent fitteds. I tried skimping on the fitteds and it was a bad idea. I maybe do one outfit change a day.
what fitteds do you use and what do you aviod???
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommagruber View Post
what fitteds do you use and what do you aviod???
My daughter is a super heavy wetter. When I first started I bought a bunch of used and a lot of it was just worn out. I also tried GMD workhorses, which a lot of mamas love. Even with a doubler my girl would soak through with one pee.

I LOVE Pianissimo, Bumstoppers and Pooligans. There are a lot of great WAHMs that I haven't tried yet though.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first: how do you shave wool once it starts getting pilly? I'm assuming higher quality yarn is better for not doing this?
some really high quality yarn also gets super pilly (Gaia) & some doesn't as easily (MMW). when DS's woolies get pilly I shave w/ a little battery operated sweater shaver that I got at Joann Fabrics for about $10

Second: For those who use wool full time, do you use same pair of longies all day or would you rotate one or two pairs a day?
I do use the same pair all day, but my boy wears a good absorbent fitted under his wool & I check often. If he's even a tiny bit damp I change him. He rarely has sopping wet diapers that get the wool wet enough to need a change
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the great answers! I have a super heavy wetter so I think I need to change him a lot if I plan to use the same pair all day for example the other day he was going cover less I changed him 5 times in 2 hours as he was in Sandy's bamboo the whole time! I guess I really need to figure out what fitted we should use. I just ordered a bunch of large WHs and one Ecoposh fitted for night, but I wasn't really thinking of something more absorbent for day!
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote