Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think that pic is bogus. The handwriting on the bottom is totally different that on the tip line. My guess is that the customer left a cash tip and a server thought this would be a funny Internet joke. JMHO.

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #52
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
I think that pic is bogus. The handwriting on the bottom is totally different that on the tip line. My guess is that the customer left a cash tip and a server thought this would be a funny Internet joke. JMHO.
I agree I have thought so since the first time I saw it
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #53
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is more than 18% gratuity expected? Im confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
Does not apply to me...I worked and supported myself as a server for 5 or 6 years...tough work! And I don't hesitate to leave $0 tip for poor service.
I was saying 15% for fair to good service, not poor service.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #54
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
To the bolded, I can agree with that. I also think people would be shocked at either how much things would cost and/or how poor service would be at some places given that restaurants in general, save for higher end places, are not known for paying well.
We pay for it anyways. My $10 dinner with 20% tip is $12. Charge me $12. If the server can't do their job in a courteous manner, which they're being paid to do, fire them. Same as any other industry. I don't pay $10 for a shirt and give the lady who helped me $2 for being nice to me and doing her job. I dont see any difference.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by northknoxmomma
I was saying 15% for fair to good service, not poor service.
Yes, I stated earlier that I tip nothing for poor service, 15% for acceptable (or what I consider fair) and 20+% for excellent.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #56
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom
Yes, I stated earlier that I tip nothing for poor service, 15% for acceptable (or what I consider fair) and 20+% for excellent.
Yep. My mom and her best friend were waitress/waiter and bartenders for decades so I've had it drilled into my head from a young age that 15% is minimum standard for average service. 10% for sub par, 0% for exceptionally poor (only had to do 0 twice in my life), and 20%+ for above average and beyond.

Pooling is a big deal if you have crap coworkers.

And on the note of parties and auto-gratuity. Honestly, IMO it's fair regardless of the age of the guests. You're taking up space in their section that could be used for other customers, and other opportunities at tips. And most parties stay longer than an individual or a couple (wait for everyone to finish eating, conversation, etc) so that's more time as well. Maybe that sounds rude, but it's just business.

And where do you guys work that get minimum wage + tips? I want to go work there! LOL!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-18-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #57
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Yep. My mom and her best friend were waitress/waiter and bartenders for decades so I've had it drilled into my head from a young age that 15% is minimum standard for average service. 10% for sub par, 0% for exceptionally poor (only had to do 0 twice in my life), and 20%+ for above average and beyond.

Pooling is a big deal if you have crap coworkers.

And on the note of parties and auto-gratuity. Honestly, IMO it's fair regardless of the age of the guests. You're taking up space in their section that could be used for other customers, and other opportunities at tips. And most parties stay longer than an individual or a couple (wait for everyone to finish eating, conversation, etc) so that's more time as well. Maybe that sounds rude, but it's just business.

And where do you guys work that get minimum wage + tips? I want to go work there! LOL!

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#.UKkzW2t5mSM
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #58
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira
Yeah, I live in GA. $2.13 minimum for tipped lol. Obviously I need to move, dang.

ETA: And even with tipped wage states, the problem is that employers don't want to consistently match you. For example, say you make $3/hr. And state minimum wage is $5.15. True, your employer will have to pay you the difference if you don't get enough tips to make your pay add up to $5.15/hr. But the problem is, they don't want to have to consistently pay the difference. They WILL find a reason to let you go if it keeps costing them extra money. So even the tip wage guarantee isn't really working the way it was meant to.

And I wouldn't be surprised if places that add gratuity for ALL patrons are doing so to offset having to make up the difference themselves.

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #59
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hate when they automatically add gratuity. I think it defeats the purpose and I typically get so irritated that I don't leave more. I find that the places that automatically include tip often offer poor service because the waiters know that no matter what they will be getting a tip! I thought that the idea of tipping was to promote waiters to provide better service in hopes of good tips, no? I really feel like these days tipping should be done away with and waiters should make base pay like any other job and they ought to provide good service in order to keep their job. I am so tired of being made to feel guilty for not over tipping on bad service!

We once went to a knock off Texas de Brazil type restaurant. It wasn't nearly as good and the service was TERRIBLE. We didn't get half the meats, we had to beg for refills that still never came, etc. the bill came with an automatic 20% tip and my mom, who was treating me to a birthday dinner, flipped her lid. The manager told her there was nothing he could do, regardless of how she felt about the service she received! She eventually had them take off the added gratuity and at that point we were so upset that they ended up with no tip at all.
& Finnley Evan 2013 [2VBA2C]
NikkiGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #60
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first waitressing job we got paid NOTHING. It was all tips. That was in PA. I don't think the customers knew that....

We tip 15-20% on average; DH is weird and likes to make everything a whole number so he'll tip like 1.93 on a 10.07 bill so it's an even 12. I try to leave cash tips when I can, because I know we got taxed on credit card tips.

I tip more if my baby's been annoying. And I always write "thank you" on the bill, because I loved it when customers did that

I never undertip because I'm too embarrassed. If I'd been in the OP's situation I would have cried and never ever gone back. Which would serve that rude waitress right.

Last edited by jam's mum; 11-18-2012 at 01:24 PM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote