Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hurt Back

I'm 20 weeks right now and I somehow strained my back
I've hurt my back numerous times in the past, so it's nothing new, but I have 4 littles to take care of right now and hope for this to resolve soon. It hurts to walk or to drive, etc.

So far I have tried icing it and resting. But today I have to go grocery shopping and I'm making Thanksgiving dinner for 4 adults and 4 kids in 2 days.

Does anyone have other tips on how to heal as quickly as possible? thanks!

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Hurt Back

Maybe those stick on heat patches and muscle rub....we like tiger balm. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never had to deal with back pain, but really hope you find something that works! I agree with trying heat though, I would think heat to help relax the muscles would be better then ice?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the best thing for your back is to go for a walk to get your muscles warm and then do some really good stretching. I don't think I will be able to accurately describe stretches in writin but I am sure they are easy to look up on YouTube
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

DDC...

I am queen of back issues! I have thrown out my back several times in the past but I have been really good lately. However, I hurt my upper back a few months ago and then ignored it until the pain was unbearable. I tried massage first because my mother is a massage therapist and then saw a Chiro. turns out that my back was out and pushing two ribs out of place. The back pain that I thought was muscles spasms was actually from a larger problem. I let it go on too long and now I have a ton of scar tissue. So that being said there are a couple things you can do.

- Try ice for 15 min. then take a 15 min. break then again for 15 min. if that feels better then you might have a alignment issue.
- If the ice does not make it feel better and you feel more tight then you have a muscle issue so try a hot water bottle or bath. Icy Hot products will help too. If you can try to get in for a massage before everyone breaks for turkey. Massage Envy has a great deal for first timers.
- No matter what rest as much as you can, take breaks often and drink tons and tons of water. No carrying around the kids, make them walk for now.

Sorry mama, I really do know this pain. I am seeing the Chiro. now about twice a week and it is getting worlds better. You really do need to find out what type of issue you are dealing with first.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would guess it is an alignment issue because when I look in the mirror, one side of me is sort of up higher than the other (hard to explain). Every time I hurt my back it seems to be a similar thing. Icing it on and off has helped and it's feeling a little better. I've been trying to not pick up anything or do laundry. Thanks for the tips. I've never been to a chiro before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
DDC...

I am queen of back issues! I have thrown out my back several times in the past but I have been really good lately. However, I hurt my upper back a few months ago and then ignored it until the pain was unbearable. I tried massage first because my mother is a massage therapist and then saw a Chiro. turns out that my back was out and pushing two ribs out of place. The back pain that I thought was muscles spasms was actually from a larger problem. I let it go on too long and now I have a ton of scar tissue. So that being said there are a couple things you can do.

- Try ice for 15 min. then take a 15 min. break then again for 15 min. if that feels better then you might have a alignment issue.
- If the ice does not make it feel better and you feel more tight then you have a muscle issue so try a hot water bottle or bath. Icy Hot products will help too. If you can try to get in for a massage before everyone breaks for turkey. Massage Envy has a great deal for first timers.
- No matter what rest as much as you can, take breaks often and drink tons and tons of water. No carrying around the kids, make them walk for now.

Sorry mama, I really do know this pain. I am seeing the Chiro. now about twice a week and it is getting worlds better. You really do need to find out what type of issue you are dealing with first.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try to get in to the chiro asap if not at least get a massage when the muscles relax maybe the bones can get back to their normal position. I get treatments at the chiro a lot after babies are born as my bones never go back together nicely
Hope you get relief quickly and get to enjoy the holidays
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
I would guess it is an alignment issue because when I look in the mirror, one side of me is sort of up higher than the other (hard to explain). Every time I hurt my back it seems to be a similar thing. Icing it on and off has helped and it's feeling a little better. I've been trying to not pick up anything or do laundry. Thanks for the tips. I've never been to a chiro before...
Before last week I had never been to one either. I was really frightened but I was in so much pain I was willing to try pretty much anything that was safe in pregnancy. Check your insurance, mine covers 15 visits. I only have to pay my copay at each visit. It took two adjustments before I had a day with no pain at all. Sorry mama
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I would highly recommend a good acupuncturist! I had a slipped disc and lots of inflammation in my back... Didn't want to take any medicine or do anything too drastic while I was pregnant (with DS) so I saw an acupuncturist. Oh my goodness. HEAVEN! I haven't had problems since. I saw her weekly for about a month and then monthly for about six months. She charged $35 per appointment (self pay). Sadly she then moved away and now there are no local acupuncturists. but DH saw her too and we both swear by acupuncture now.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the advice! I'm going to think about going to a Chiro if it's not better in a few days. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving