Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Wean or let it work itself out?

My goal was to BF to two years, DD is now 30 months and still nurses before bed and before nap most days. She can and has fallen to sleep at both times without nursing, but given the choice she still nurses. My milk seems to be drying up (I'm 17+2) and she seems content with shorter and shorter sessions most times, but sometimes she fusses when I try to unlatch her. I'm not particularly in a rush to wean, but I do not want to tandem nurse since she'll be three when this baby comes. I just don't know if I should push towards weaning, or hope it works itself out.

I don't want labor to be what weans her, because I fear it will cause resentment towards the baby. At the same time I worry that waiting too long will make her more likely to want to nurse with the baby.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions, experiences, whatever. DH is 100% behind whatever I decide, but isn't much help in making the decision.

Wife to E 10-29-05.
Mom to tougHGirl L 5-4-10
tougHGuy B 5-1-13

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Wean or let it work itself out?

DD was 2 when I got pregnant with DS. I had a lot of angst about whether to wean her or not, but after reading a book about tandem nursing, I knew it was not for me. I slowly weaned her down to once a day and stayed there for a month or 2. I went out of town for the weekend when I was 6 months pregnant and when I came back she asked, but seemed to just do it out of habit, so I redirected her twice and she was weaned. It was a LOT easier than I had built it up in my mind. I'm so glad that I did it.

I would probably try to get rid of the nap sessions and get down to just at bedtime and then get rid of that one last.
SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote