Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
katymf
Registered Users
seller

How much will you spend on childrens gifts?

We are on a tight budget this year and I was actually really worried about DS's gifts this year. My mom and I ended up going to Kmart where they have amazing lay away. You can put anything on-clothes, sale and clearance items, big toys, little toys, books ANYTHING and it didnt cost anything to open up the lay away and we only had to put $20 down that day. The total came to around $100 for his stuff. We got him some big toys and clothes and a book.
There is black Friday deals going on all weekend on ikea and Sunday we will be ordering him a circus tent for only $7.99! Another big thing we want to get him is an easel which the cheapest I've seen are $30. So all in all were spending about $150. Im sure we will find other little things along the way too. I want to get him a pair of yo gabba gabba shoes (he's in love) but they're around $35. I will ask my dad to get him a little tricycle. Plus gifts from other family members. As parents I think we try and make christmas as special as we can for our little ones and get them everything we want to get them. But this year is especially difficult but I think we can manage to make it work

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much will you spend on childrens gifts?

The year we had dd (November) dh was laid off work when she was 3 days old. We spent something around $50 for each boy and nothing for dd. THis year it will be around $250 each and possibly less. They each get 1 nicer, more expensive item (playmobil dragon castle for ds2 and table and chairs for dd, not sure yet on ds1) and then something they need, to wear and to read.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

We usually spend about $20 on each of them (if that). I don't think we even bought DD2 anything last year. It's not because we can't afford it but I don't think spending a lot of money on Christmas presents is a smart use of our money, especially when our girls are so young (2.5 and 5). My girls are perfectly happy with a small stuffed animal, a book, some new toothbrushes, and the presents they get from relatives. When they get older we will spend more, but for now, we don't spend a lot at all.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We typically spend around $300 for each kid... this year we're going a little smaller, though, because their big gift is a trip to Disneyland in December.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

$30 for my 11 month old. I don't feel the need to spend too much on such a little guy. Besides, I'm sure we will have way more than enough from grandparents and his birthday 4 days before. I'm kinda scared of the number of toys we will have. I have asked everyone to please keep it minimal, but I know some people will ignore that comment and I'm pretty sure I offended my MIL who has been excited about "spoiling" her grandchild since before he was born. Arrg! Drives me crazy!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a job so my boys will get whatever I can trade for or find at the thrift store. On another note: they don't need a single thing and have an entire room full of toys
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

After my divorce, we (my older two children) had one "tight" Christmas, and I went off the deep end trying to "compensate" for being a single mom.

I literally spent thousands some years It proved to be a true disservice to my children by setting the bar high AND making the focus more about gifts.

I am remarried with number 5 on the way and for the first year, I am taking charge of the holiday excess. I am planning on going back to work part-time after baby (I earn over $20,000 more a year than DH), so we NEED to live on less and make family the priority over stuff.

We budgeted $100 per child (4) not counting stocking stuffers. We will easily hit the $100 mark with the older two (one on her own and one in college), but for the younger girls, I think we will be under
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

After stockings well have spent a little over $100 for each child. We are also traveling to see family

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 11-23-2012 at 09:57 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
crunch!910
Registered Users

Well, we hope to get one present each for the boys from us. We want to take DS1 out to pick out a present for the baby and we will pick out a present "from" the baby to DS1. Hope to keep it all under $50. I don't think we'll fill the stockings this year. They are mostly for decoration? Depends on what I find in the store.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've never spent more than $50 per child and it's never felt tight or like it wasn't enough. Some of the things they've enjoyed the most have actually been the smaller items I didn't think would be a huge hit.