Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #31
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hw much are you spending on your kids for Christmas? More or less than last year?

we don't celebrate Christmas at home, as we're Jewish, but we do have chanukah here and with the inlaws, celebrate Christmas with my family (only buy gifts for kids and one adult each, plus a group gift -- we do a family calendar), and ds1 and dd have birthdays on 12/27, so we roll their birthday presents into the holiday budget. this year we're doing a mostly handmade holiday, so our expenses are mostly materials. all the chanukah gifts are to be shared, and ds1 and dd will be getting Waldorf dolls made by me for their Hebrew birthdays.

we are spending as little as possible as we are trying to fund a late December ivf cycle oop.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #32
venia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hw much are you spending on your kids for Christmas? More or less than last year?

A lot less this year and for two reasons; budget and new strategy.

For strategy, last year we did a ton of varied items that I had bought/collected since summer and it was chaotic and stressful. Between the needing to wrap so many presents and then needing to assemble some of them Christmas morning, it was just plain tiring and stressful for us parents. Then you could just feel the kids emotional stress from being overwhelmed. They barely played with any one thing and ended up fighting and/or whining for most of the day over whose toy was whose.

So this year, it's one main toy each plus accessories for that toy (Doll for DD, Train set for DS). One smaller toy each and stocking trinkets. That's it. Good for the budget, good for wrapping/assembly, hopefully fun and less stressful for the kids.

Also, we only give gifts to our kids, our parents and our siblings (aunts & uncles to our kids). DH and I do not specifically buy for each other, but the kids will get "mom" and "dad" gifts with assistant from each of us. The kids usually hand make their gifts to us, grandparents and Aunts/Uncles

Last edited by venia; 11-19-2012 at 10:00 AM.
venia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #33
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Last year we were pretty much broke. We got our daughter a $5 doll. My DS wasnt born yet. Everyone else got earrings I made, girls, and $5 stuff, boys. My husband and I didn't exchange gifts.

This year we are much more stable.
My DD is getting an Innotab 2, an outfit, boots, and small stocking stuffers.

My DS is getting a Sit To Stand Alphabet Train for Christmas, an outfit, boots, small stocking stuffers, and he gets another big-ish toy because his bday is after Christmas on the 28th .

My DH is getting the running shoes he's been wanting ($100), some shirts, cologne, and stocking stuffers.

Plus, we all get pjs on Christmas Eve.

Inlaws, sil's (2), bil, grandma and my mom are getting $20 gift cards.
My little bro's bday is dec.21st and he is getting shirts he wants and for Christmas a bike.

My relatives:
Mom and dad will get gift cards
Their 6 kids are getting a gift between $5-$10.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We will spend about the same $75 per girl

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #35
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
About $200 on each kid.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Total =$800, for DS $100

We buy for my mom and step dad, my 5 nieces and nephews, my grandma, my ILs and my two younger BILs. Then the various little gifts for teachers, mailman, aunts and uncles at holiday parties ( like $5 each stuff you make kind of thing) and a few close girlfriends. Plus Christmas cards, photos and extra holiday food.

That is our budget every year and we usually stick to it pretty good.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #37
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I spent less than $100, not sure on the exact price. It is about the same as last year. They mostly ask for more books, puzzles, games, etc. Things that are cheapish already. While we like gift giving, we just don't see the need in excessive gift giving, and there are other times in the year they get gifts too (birthdays, easter, etc).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
R055ANA
Registered Users

We are a family who doesn't do much gift giving. We really try to stay away from buying Christmas gifts for our DDs since for us that is not what the holiday is about.

Usually we don't buy a thing for our DDs on Christmas. Last yr we went to see a light display and we had a special meal. We spend time as a family but we don't have a Christmas tree and don't open presents together.

This yr my DH's company is having a holiday party and they are buying gifts for kids 10 and under, this means we have to buy a gift for ODD. So I am spending more $ since usually we don't buy a gift. I will probably buy something in the $20 range.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Only one child, DS age 3. Less than last year because he just got WAY too much. My limit is $150.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #40
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

About $100 per kid. Santa brings them a toy ($30), we get them a toy ($30), they pick a gift for each other ($20), stockings ($10), and then a shared gift. They also get Christmas jammies, which we open christmas eve. I am getting the book "The Pajama Elf" this year, it is supposed to be pretty cute. The elf brings special magic pajamas that help children sleep so santa can come.