Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hmmmm that could work for ds1 pretty soon. He'll be 3 in 2 weeks and height wise is going to outgrow his 5 point harness. I will have to check this out. I would rather keep him in a 5 point for as long as possible.

Advertisement

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by menthomas
Hmmmm that could work for ds1 pretty soon. He'll be 3 in 2 weeks and height wise is going to outgrow his 5 point harness. I will have to check this out. I would rather keep him in a 5 point for as long as possible.
I would not put him in a booster. Go with your gut on this.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got one for when my baby is born. I can leave it easily at my sons (he's 6 in march-- for
Lurkers.. Lol) classroom! Just got it today for $30. He'll stay in his radian/frontier for his usual seat but since I might be doing this birth alone, I wanted an easy seat for him. And so I wouldn't stress about the installation of his seats. He's booster trained and a very very good boy. Still worries me but I know he will be okay.

Great price! Got mine in store.

Last edited by keen1981; 11-18-2012 at 09:23 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Graco Turbobooster $30 at target this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menthomas View Post
What seat is he in? I can think of a couple of seats on the market that a 3 year old might be outgrowing but they're really short seats. A 3 year old is really not safe in a booster seat. Their skeleton is not mature enough to work with the booster and the seat belt to keep them safe in an accident. Putting a child in a booster is also putting that child in charge of their own safety in the car and many kids do not have the maturity to handle something like that until they're closer to 6 years old. There are some really sad stories floating around of 3 year olds that were riding in booster seats that died in accidents where every one else involved walked away with minor injures at worst. The box says 3 years and 30 lbs because that's the dummy that it passed testing with. Dummies don't unbuckle or turn around to see what that noise was or otherwise get out of position.

ETA:
If you need an inexpensive harnessed seat, look at the Evenflo Maestro and the Evenflo Securekid 300 or 400. The Safety 1st Guide 65 is a convertible seat that is decently tall and harnesses to 65 lbs forward facing and is $80 at Walmart.

Last edited by monica-m; 11-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wanted to echo--no way I'd put a 3 OR 4 year old in a booster. Kids that age are too unpredictable. 5 is my minimum age to booster, and even then, my 5 year old struggles with sitting still on long (30 minute+) trips.

I'd get a Nautilus or a Frontier instead.

ETA: We've tried full time booster every couple of months with DD to see if she is ready, and every time after a day or 2, we pull her Frontier back out. She will be 6 in January.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-18-2012 at 09:21 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Wanted to echo--no way I'd put a 3 OR 4 year old in a booster. Kids that age are too unpredictable. 5 is my minimum age to booster, and even then, my 5 year old struggles with sitting still on long (30 minute+) trips.

I'd get a Nautilus or a Frontier instead.
Love my sons frontier!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love my frontier for my 5 year old DS. We also have a Recaro harnessed booster for him (I forget the name of it) that we love. I am honestly the only person I know who still harnesses a 5 year old but I fee way safer doing it. My DH asked me when he can be in a regular booster seat and I said not for a long time- when he outgrows the harness he can move to a booster. To make my DS feel cool about still being in a harness I tell him that race car drivers sit in harnessed seats- he honestly doesn't know that other kids don't ride in the same kind of sea he does so he doesn't really push back yet.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
UrbanMamma
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! My 5-year-old's convertable expires this month and I was planning on going this route. I've been walking by to watch for sales at Target, BabiesRUs for several months but haven't seen anything under $40. I'll go out and get this first thing in the morning!
UrbanMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

told my mom about this for my son...he turns 6 next week and is off the chart height wise. (my mil measured him and he's .5" taller than my dh was when he was 6.5yrs...and dh is 6'5" now)

my mom has a graco booster for him but the height doesn't adjust

I may get another one for ourself so dh has one in his car. We have a Monterey in the van, and a turbobooster in the suburban, but dh doesn't have one in his car.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom
told my mom about this for my son...he turns 6 next week and is off the chart height wise. (my mil measured him and he's .5" taller than my dh was when he was 6.5yrs...and dh is 6'5" now)

my mom has a graco booster for him but the height doesn't adjust

I may get another one for ourself so dh has one in his car. We have a Monterey in the van, and a turbobooster in the suburban, but dh doesn't have one in his car.
The height should adjust. Is there an issue with the seat?
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote