Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would do it. We get the girls 3 gifts. Ive never really thought about how much I spent on them being the same. I just focus on getting what they *really* want. This yr is a good example. Dd1s total will be roughly $80 while dd2s will be more then twice that.

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
janeen0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christmas $$ issue

I think what's important is that the children each feel the gifts were fair -- equal, from their perspectives. The retail price, or the price you actually paid is irrelevent, and probably unknown to them.

There is a pretty big age gap between my girls. They are both getting the same number of gifts, and I think each one's gifts will carry an equivalent amount of value to that child, but I spend way more on the older one. They don't need to know that, though.
Cloth diapering our new little bundle
janeen0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

As long as everyone is getting what they really want, I wouldn't worry about "cost equality "
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it is like equal doesn't always mean same. So if they all got equal gifts meaning what they wanted and needed , no one did without for the other then that is great. What about taking the left over money and taking the kids shopping for an angel tree or toy drive? You could let your 7 and 4 year old pick out things they think a child their age would like. Because of your thrifty shopping your kids and someone elses kids can have a great Christmas.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I think if the kids will see the value as being the same it should be fine. But I would feel bad getting some kids the 1 clothing, 1 book, 1 toy, etc while one kid gets 1 huge, super fun gift. I would be more worried about anyone feeling jipped than I would with the exact $ amount
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I think it's fine. My goal is to have $50 per kid for Christmas (not counting stocking things) and for the 19 yr old, you would think I would need to spend more. But he wants a DVD that I found on blu-ray for $3.99! and then I found a magazine subscription for $21. Anything else he would "want" would be video games which are too much for me to spend. The baby, on the other hand, I want to get an etsy teether and a book, etc so I will end spending more on him. Then my 14 yr old wants an MP3 player and the only one I can find that he could use is $53. But I am not going to quibble about the prices. I can get great deals on some things and not so much on others, kwim? Now, if one kid only wanted something that cost, like $5, I think I would give a gift card to a favorite ice cream place or something as well. So, in short, you are fine with what you are doing
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A- please do my shopping for me!! Those are some awesome deals!!

B- Unless your kids pay close attention or watch the price is right often they probably have little concept of dollar value not to mention their gifts are actually worth significantly more than you spent. I wouldn't stress about the one child's gift dipping into part of the allotted amount for the other kids. It sounds as if they will all be really pleased by what they are receiving.

My youngest sister always got so many more presents than the rest of us because she liked inexpensive things (art supplies and various crafty cutesy items) and the rest of us had more expensive desires so Christmas often ended with "everyone sit here and watch EJ open a billion presents" we all made jokes about it but understood why. I like the idea of the set number of gifts, I think that seems like a much better balance, although I'm sure my sister would disagree
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it is fine. If they are all getting something they will really like, who cares how much you spend on them?
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hear you, Mama. Running into a very similar "problem" here. Our almost four-year-old is getting a LeapPad2 with two games. Our less than two-year-old will maybe be getting a large number of less expensive gifts or possibly just a toy smartphone (which won't cost nearly what the LeapPad costs). It will depend on toy availability at the store we have gift cards for. If there aren't the toys I want to get him, I'm not buying him just any old thing. If we pay cash out of pocket, it will be on the lesser side. He needs nothing, has too much already and won't even know. I just don't want to seem like we're shorting the poor little guy because he won't know the difference or care, you know what I mean? Other than that big gift, they will be getting one each of the other things we got them (exactly equal) with maybe a shared gift or two in there. Stockings will be another kind of balancing act to get my eldest some big boy underpants and my younger maybe some small toys or something to make up for that.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption
I think if the kids will see the value as being the same it should be fine. But I would feel bad getting some kids the 1 clothing, 1 book, 1 toy, etc while one kid gets 1 huge, super fun gift. I would be more worried about anyone feeling jipped than I would with the exact $ amount
Lol...I think if anything DS1 will feel jipped because he'll get the Ds and some jeans and a book.

Dd gets a puppet theatre, puppets, doll house furniture, outfit, board game and a book lol
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote