Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do we not have any twins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyWmom View Post
I also have noticed no twins and how few first-time moms there are. It seems like most of us are on our third or more, which might be why we are so quiet. We all have our hands full.
I don't find many first time pregnant moms on DS, really.. A few... but seems to appeal more to the experienced mamas or with atleast 1 child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I was a little sad in each of my pregnancies that I did not have 2 in there but relieved after each birth that I only had one lo to take care of!!
oh I am right there with you. Twins run on DH's side and I am always ambivalent about it

Advertisement

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 11-19-2012 at 08:17 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Twins run on DH's side and I am always ambivalent about it
If they are on your DHs side, that wouldn't affect your chances of twins.

Identical twins are a complete "fluke" - just an egg that happens to split.
Fraternal twins are hereditary through the mothers' side, apparently the "ability" to release 2 eggs at once can be passed on.

A friend of mine had twins, she learned all about hereditary and not and all that!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma
I was a little sad in each of my pregnancies that I did not have 2 in there but relieved after each birth that I only had one lo to take care of!!
Me too! DH thinks I'm nuts.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

If they are on your DHs side, that wouldn't affect your chances of twins.

Identical twins are a complete "fluke" - just an egg that happens to split.
Fraternal twins are hereditary through the mothers' side, apparently the "ability" to release 2 eggs at once can be passed on.

A friend of mine had twins, she learned all about hereditary and not and all that!
I'm always telling people it doesn't matter if their husband has the tendency to release two eggs
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma
I was not at all sad the first time there were no twins... Lol! This time I was a little bit sad, but only because DH is obstinate and insists that at 29 years old, he is soooooo old to be having kids. HA. So I feel like in order to have the HUGE family I want... We need to hurry up and have it! Twins are a two for one deal in my book
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I'm always telling people it doesn't matter if their husband has the tendency to release two eggs
Exactly!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyWmom View Post
I also have noticed no twins and how few first-time moms there are. It seems like most of us are on our third or more, which might be why we are so quiet. We all have our hands full.
I would guess there aren't a lot of first time moms because it is a site based in cloth diapers and a lot of people wouldn't make that decision until they were atleast some what pregnant then by the time they work out the site it would probably feel pretty akward joinging a DueDate group who've been chatting more or less since the beginings of their pregnancies.

I'm a weird one and had been lurking around DS for a long while before getting pregnant... actually before I even started trying. I just really liked the atmosphere.... mostly anyway. There a bit of predjuiced against childless people posting from some members too so that may also add to the lack of first time moms... I kept pretty quiet until I actually got that BFP for fear of drawing the attention of those type of member.

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't mind the overall lack of non-moms. The ones we do have seem intelligent. I don't think you have to be a mom to have good ideas.

when I'm very bored, I get on BabyBump and it's basically the same threads all the time.
-am I pregnant?
-I had sex, did I hurt the baby?
-don't I look so huge? I'm 3w and I'm already showing!
-etc etc etc

I think, in general, DS seems to attract a different type of woman. I checked out DS a little while pregnant with DD, but honestly was only interested in learning about the cloth diapering options. I didn't make my account until she was 6+months and I had stinky diapers to strip :P
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallMarie View Post
There a bit of predjuiced against childless people posting from some members too so that may also add to the lack of first time moms... I kept pretty quiet until I actually got that BFP for fear of drawing the attention of those type of member.
It's fine when they're commenting on general threads - it's when childless people (especially ones who aren't even pregnant, or trying yet) have "all the right answers" on parenting/disciplining/etc.
I mean, it's one thing to have ideas that you've seen friends use, or read in parenting books, but some of them come across like they know everything all ready.
Trust me. Until you've had a kid, you don't truly know.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love first time moms! I live vicariously through them because you can only have the excitement of the first baby once! My best friend is pregnant with her first and I think about her constantly. I love when she tells me about the new things going on-and not just cuz she is my best friend.