Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #101
March
Registered Users
seller

The utilitarian/consequentialist bent to these arguments scares me. The ends (that it has more families using cloth now) do not justify the means--a company (or several, as the case may be) has conspiratorially designed to ruin the market with counterfeit products that aren't tested for safety, violate numerous US, Canadian, and European patents, and even go so far as to reproduce registered artwork. Bringing anything this company makes into the US *is* unethical. It's even illegal if the patent violations are not rectified before they are distributed to US consumers.

This is why conscious consumership is so important! It sucks to find out later that you've been participating in something icky, I know. I know some local non-profits in my area have offered conscious consumership classes through the library system. I took a class in college called "eco-texts," and we covered this issue. It is a huge issue on the world stage! Alva diapers are not an isolated incident. This is happening in every market and it will completely eradicate industries that people have worked hard to build. It already has, and, frankly, boutique baby care items like modern cloth diapers sort of appear to be on the chopping block. Getting educated now can help you do your part.

Advertisement

Last edited by March; 11-20-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #102
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laineypaige

You're exactly right. I probably shouldn't have gotten my feelings hurt, I know that no one was trying to be mean, I guess it just made me feel bad, and like the people commenting on this post thought I had done something wrong. Like you said, it's not my responsibility to make sure the products I buy aren't infringing on someone else's copyrights, but if I know that they are then I shouldn't support those things. This post has definitely got me thinking
I think the people who are getting their feelings hurt are the honest ones who didn't know better. I have a lot of china made diapers that I got before I knew much about cding. I was initially intimidated by flats & prefolds. I wanted something "easy". However I can't afford the price of the US pockets. I checked reviews (through a google search) before I purchased them & didn't find red flags. I'd personally would rather buy American made but financially that wasn't an option. All that being said I was feeling pretty low about myself as I read this thread knowing I had a lot of china diapers. I by no means want to be judged for something I purchased without knowing all of the issues with it. People who purchased the copied ones knowingly are probably not going to get their feelings hurt, but those of us who naively purchased them are more likely to walk away from this post feeling hurt.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #103
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laineypaige View Post
Well I've bought and have several Alvas and I really like them. I could never have afforded diapers that cost $20 each or even $10 each used. I even bought one of their new prints, that I know now was a copy of someone's design. It's the owl one. But I've never bought or used, or even seen a grovia diaper so I had no way of knowing it was their print. I just thought it was cute so I bought it.

Some of the previous posters were right, ya'll are bashing people like me claiming that by buying Alva diapers we are ruining the cloth diaper industry and all these small businesses. Well I can promise that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to use cloth, but only had a small amount of money to do it with so I went with cheap, and so far, they've worked fine.

I understand the ethical aspect of this, and I won't buy a stolen print again, but I will probably buy Alva diapers again, and I don't think you all should judge me because of that.

I've enjoyed this website since I joined, and all the people I've met through it, but this post is very judgmental, and I know everyone has a right to their opinion and right to voice their opinion, but please don't talk badly about others, because people can get their feelings hurt.
No comments!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #104
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This whole thread reminds me of the $20 North Face jacket I bought when I was in college... I was so pumped... until I wore it for 6 months and the pockets ripped out and I got smart and realized it truly wasn't North Face. It looked identical.. I really thoguht it was North Face. Stealing prints is wrong. Period.

Last edited by Kabuki24; 11-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #105
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncnshu00 View Post
I can say without any hesitation on my part that the Diaper Safari pockets are just rebranded Alvas so they don't win any brownie points from me. I can't speak for the Diaper Junction Pockets. I own an Alva and a Diaper Safari that are so identical I actually have to look at the tag to figure out which one is which. They even have the same funky, shiny fabric at the front opening on the pocket.
I am really new to all this. I almost only buy from FSOT except for a few times from my local CD store and a WAHM friend.

So are you saying they buy Alva's and retag them? I just got some diaper Safari during their buy one-get one sale and havne't used them yet. They are a little big on my DD yet.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #106
laineypaige
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
IMO...those 2 brands seem like rebranded Alvas actually..I 've had both and they are pretty similar...just maybe some custom features added....I think the Imagine pocket is a more unique option when looking for a cheaper alternative.... I may be the only one but I don't have a problem with Alvas as far as the actual diaper goes...yes I think its crappy of them to steal those patterns...and hopefully something can be done about it BUT I really am glad there is option for those who can't afford a $15-$20 diaper. And it is kinda offensive to say...well they can just use prefold/flats......prefold/flats are not for everyone so if I was reading this thread and used alvas because of $$$$ issues I would be offended.

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum
I agree with this. It is kind of offensive to say...I don't understand why people can't just use prefolds and flats?? When I first started, I used flats and Alva pockets. That is the cheapest option I could find, and it was either that or nothing. Now I've been able to save up money and buy different brands, but don't assume that you know people's financial situations.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #107
laineypaige
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVeryBest View Post
No comments!
I'm honestly getting more and more turned off by this board. Here I thought it was a group of very accepting, non judgmental women, but this post is showing people's true colors. I commented several posts after the one where I said that I would probably buy from Alva again, just not stolen prints, that this was really making me think, and instead of being encouraging and stating your sincere opinions in a kind way, you say nothing but "No comments!" as if you can't believe I would do such a thing. It was rude and unnecessary unless that was your intention, to make me feel bad, which I guess maybe it was.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #108
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post

So are you saying they buy Alva's and retag them? I just got some diaper Safari during their buy one-get one sale and havne't used them yet. They are a little big on my DD yet.
I can't speak for those brands in particular. But I do know that, as a retailer, I get contacted ALL. THE. TIME. from companies like Alva offering to take my logo and slap it on their products. And there are tons of US retailers that do this. Join Zulily or any other deal of the day site and at least once a week, you will see the rebranded Alva diapers come through with a different name on the label. And something else that is infuriating to me is that they try to make people feel like they are getting a good deal - A $25 diaper that we have marked down to $12.99!!!! Hurry and buy them before they are gone! But those who are familiar know they are all $4.00 diapers.

And I don't intend to make anyone feel bad. One of the first diapers I bought was a Kawaii years ago when I didn't know all about this. But hopefully, when we know better, we do better.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #109
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I am really new to all this. I almost only buy from FSOT except for a few times from my local CD store and a WAHM friend.

I'm pretty sure Diaper safari has come on here to say they were not

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #110
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
I'm pretty sure Diaper safari has come on here to say they were not
I must have missed that post. Thanks for clearing it up. I don't want to make any assumptions or anything. I just wanted cute diapers that daycare/daddy would use that fit in my budget.