Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #121
March
Registered Users
seller

So distributing any product that includes a copyright infringement or a counterfeit reproduction of licensed or registered trademark is called contributory infringement. That's what co-ops for these types of products do and were doing even before these particular prints were reproduced. Hello Kitty diapers, anyone?

According to the Cornell Law School Web site, this crime is fine-able up to 5 million dollars and can also come with an arrest. Woah!

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/contr...y_infringement

This is the law pertaining to trafficking in counterfeit goods:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2320

Not such a good deal after all, maybe.

Advertisement

Last edited by March; 11-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #122
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't care if its wahm made, china made, prefolds, or disposable diapers

Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #123
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
I'm pretty sure Diaper safari has come on here to say they were not
So have a couple of other companies that clearly were. The claim is that their PUL is better or snap placement is slightly different so they "aren't rebranded Alvas".

I am NOT saying Diaper Safari is, because I have never touched one.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #124
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Blah stupid phone i don't care what people buy that works for them and their child their family. We cloth diapered due to allergies not to be green or ethical or crunchy or pretentious.

I hope people will make the choice that is right for them. I don't condone alvas business practice but if that's the style of diaper you need at the price you can afford then buy what you need to buy.

Who am I to judge where do I think that I would be better than them or know their families needs or situation better than they do.

Personally I have bought a little of everything over the years and my favorites are wahm made so those are what we use mostly and keep but that is my choice for my family.

If you don't like the business practice fine don't buy it but don't judge everyone who may choose to with a holier than thou attitude.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #125
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Let me tell you newcomers about the women in this forum...

They are not diaper snobs. They care about supporting ethical companies that do the right thing. They want to ensure that their products are made fairly and LEGALLY. They want to know that workers are treated fairly. They want to know that the companies they support have fair business practices. They like supporting US companies and US workers and especially WAHM's. In short they care deeply about how their purchases affect our economy, our workers, and other ethical businesses. The women here stand up for what is right. They do not turn a blind eye to shady business practices, and they sure as hell don't support it. And IMHO that does not equal being a diaper snob.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 11-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #126
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boohakis View Post
As a new to cloth mama, I will say that in my opinion, this forum seems to foster a general feeling of distaste for those mamas who use brands such as Sunbaby, Alva, etc

It has turned me off to this forum as well. As if because we can't afford $15-20 diapers we aren't "real" CD-mamas.

It's amazing how much some people care about and judge others for what diapers others choose for their family.

Apparently, being accepting and non-judgmental doesn't fall under the "crunchy" category.
I do not think it is about being real or not real CD mama. It is more about what world you want your children/grandchildren/ to live in.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #127
Boohakis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
Let me tell you newcomers about the women in this forum...
Wow! Thanks for the "education."
I guess hospitable must be on another forum.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #128
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boohakis View Post
We are very hospitable. But we don't like being called names.

I'm not judging anyone for buying alvas. But when people say they do it because its the cheapest option, I have to scratch my head, since there are much cheaper options available.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #129
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boohakis

As one of the oldest members of this forum, I would like to say that I am not judging any mama who chooses any type of cloth for her child. I'm happy that more moms are choosing cloth these days.

I think the debate about Chinese business practices, and the rightful condemning of them stealing prints, is one that could be had without hurting the feelings of the mamas that for, whatever reason, have chosen to use these diapers.

I understand informing and advocating, but I think it can be done without being quite so harsh and condemning of other mothers.

Last edited by L J; 11-20-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #130
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boohakis

I don't think that's fair. These women have just been sharing their opinions. Which is a main (not the only, but a main) function of a public forum like this. If someone's feelings are hurt because someone else has a differing opinion... That's just how the world works. No one in this thread is stomping around calling anyone specific out or calling names, or anything like that. They're discussing a legal/ethical issue that directly pertains to the main subject matter of this forum community.

My DS's entire first stash of diapers was china cheapies that were rip offs of BGs and/FuzziBunz, and I had no idea until years later. None of this conversation hurts my feelings at all. I really just don't *get it* that people are having their feelings hurt over a discussion like this. Even of they were, I don't see any DS rules being violated (someone point out if I'm wrong), and "please don't hurt my feelings" isn't a measurable or enforceable rule.
Closed Thread