Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #181
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

lol i was i ended up moving ds off me and he woke up boooo

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #182
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs
The truth hurts. The diapers are cheap for a reason.......you can choose to overlook that and use them anyway, maybe that's even an absolute necessity for some.....but what's with all the anger over calling a spade a spade?
After reading through more of the posts - I don't think any of the alva users are hurt by our opinions about alvas business ethics. They're put off by the rude comments and sarcasm, which did seen to turn up after I was all "who's being rude?"

To the alva users - don't let a few rude people ruin a forum for you. You will find them everywhere, honestly. And if you're honest with yourself, you may end up *being* the rude person at some point on a bad day. Chalk it up to them being really passionate about something you don't necessarily agree with and move on. I'm sure you'll come across something on here (or another forum) where you'll have the same passion about something another forum user sees as a non-issue. KWIM?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #183
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

The biggest issue I see with all of this (not just the stolen prints,which is of course wrong) is that so many of the "American" companies also have or had their diapers made in China too. So it seems strange to feel good about paying $20 a diaper because it is an "American"company when they are being made in the same place that the $4 diapers are. I think if you truly have an issue with it then you(general you) should only buy from wahms that you know make the diapers themselves.In my opinion that IS something to feel good about.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #184
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My free times and simplex both say made in USA
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #185
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
Being a mod has nothing to do with it. Even mods are moms with opinions just like everyone else. Its a common misnomer that mods cannot express individual opinions or engage in healthy debate on DS.
I think of moderators more as leaders than technical assistants. That's why I thought they are not supposed to express publically what goes against common moral standards.
You didn't actually say that do not see anything wrong in stealing. Only that you will support any company that offers the right price. By some reason it sounded the same to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #186
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

FWIW I remember somevery heated debates on the ethics of buying chinese prefolds when my first was in diapers.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #187
jesscorine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Swaddlebees are made in Arkansas. BumGenius are made in the US and Egypt.

Profit margin on industry brand diapers is remarkably low. So low that it's hard for the product to gain retailers--that's why your local baby boutique probably doesn't carry cloth. If you're choosing to go into the CD business rather than some other business, you're choosing a tiny markup that gets mostly eaten up by your overhead. The rest of the baby retail world gets to enjoy 100-200% markups, but in this business, the consumer base needs the investment to save them money, so it's not possible.
Without saying so many words, I mean that companies can "make" their products in the USA, but that doesn't mean their suppliers aren't in other countries where their designs aren't protected.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #188
ejr3705
Registered Users
seller

Product Info

From the Grovia website:

Inner: Sewn in Soaker Pad 55% Hemp, 45% Cotton topped with 100% Polyester Microfleece
Body Lining: 100% Polyester Microfleece
Outer: 100% Water Resistant Polyester TPU
No Cover Needed
Made fairly & conscientiously in China

BumGenius are made in Egypt and USA while the MF inserts are made in China! (Bottom of the page) http://www.bumgenius.com/one-size.php

I have no qualms purchasing Alva diapers, as they don't have a 150% mark up in price of making them. If the "name brand" diapers offered affordable diapers then it would be a different story. I have BG diapers and other brands, but they were all purchased on sale or as seconds. But I have supplemented my 50+diaper stash with Alvas. Where do you think they got ahold of these supposed "stolen" prints! If these companies opt to produce their products in China where there are not held to US copyright laws then that was their mistake.

To each their own, purchase or don't purchase that's your choice. But don't flame someone for doing so! We all have been to the Dollar store and bought something that was clearly a "knock off" of a name brand item at Bed Bath and Beyond. Look at Hostess and Little Debbie! You have name brand Twinkies and Little Debbie's cloud cakes!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #189
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
The biggest issue I see with all of this (not just the stolen prints,which is of course wrong) is that so many of the "American" companies also have or had their diapers made in China too. So it seems strange to feel good about paying $20 a diaper because it is an "American"company when they are being made in the same place that the $4 diapers are. I think if you truly have an issue with it then you(general you) should only buy from wahms that you know make the diapers themselves.In my opinion that IS something to feel good about.

It is not that alva is made in china. It is probably not possible to avoid china made products. And it is sad and scary how dependent american economy is of China.
It's not where they are made but what the did. Some find stealing unacceptable, some don't or choose to ignore that fact.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #190
dannic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncnshu00 View Post
I bought my Alvas and mt Diaper Safari pockets before I was aware any of this was going on. I don't see how they can say they're not Alvas when the diapers are IDENTICAL! I'm willing to post pics if necessary.
I haven't read the entire thread yet, and I am not calling you out here (I didn't want to find the original pp asking the question).

I just wanted to generally say that it is quite common to relabel in legal ways as well, and nickis and diaper junction (if they are relabeled alvas; I wouldn't know) may very well doing it legally/ethically.

For instance: we are gluten free. I love tinkyada's pasta, but at 4$ + a lb, I find we can't eat pasta often at all. However, Trader Joes has a contract with tinkyada and sells their pasta with their label for 2$ a lb. That, I can afford more often. Others like Tide do this for walmart, ect...

So it isn't nec. a bad thing to relabel and sell.

However, getting your hands on a lovelace print and copying it to sell en mass? That is stealing. Stealing is wrong. I cannot support that.
Closed Thread