Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #321
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,742
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Alvas are good for the price, but BG are waaay better quality anyway.

Advertisement

ollie_mama is offline  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #322
pottermomma's Avatar
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,656
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie_mama
Alvas are good for the price, but BG are waaay better quality anyway.
I find their quality comparable from what I've gotten. I've had no issues with either Alva or BY. I've heard of people getting messed up Alvas but I've never had any issues with any of mine. What quality difference did you find?
__________________
Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #323
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,742
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermomma View Post
I find their quality comparable from what I've gotten. I've had no issues with either Alva or BY. I've heard of people getting messed up Alvas but I've never had any issues with any of mine. What quality difference did you find?
I have a few Alvas and I do think they are great for the price, but with BG I feel that the elastic seems better and more comfortable around my daughters legs. The snaps are better quality, as is the suede cloth. I have gotten Alvas with bad snaps. The stitching on BGs also looks more neat and professional to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Kawaiis but I still think BGs are better.
ollie_mama is offline  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #324
pottermomma's Avatar
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,656
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie_mama View Post
I have a few Alvas and I do think they are great for the price, but with BG I feel that the elastic seems better and more comfortable around my daughters legs. The snaps are better quality, as is the suede cloth. I have gotten Alvas with bad snaps. The stitching on BGs also looks more neat and professional to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Kawaiis but I still think BGs are better.
Thanks for replying. I'm always curious when people say certain brands are better because half the time (I own a wide range) I can't tell a difference between any of them. Maybe I'm just too new at this (my son is only 5m old) and haven't gotten the hang of picking out things like that.

Though, I will say I like CB and Sunbabies the best for the insides of any diapers I've gotten (BG, Rumpkinz, FB, etc) because it is so soft! I always rub them on my face But yeah, I totally get what you are saying and we'll see how both wear as time goes on with my son as he gets older.
__________________
Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #325
Chrijodo's Avatar
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 6,960
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Well I read through all 9 pages..

I just want to say. I've been CDing since my son was born 6 1/2 years ago. I eventually stopped CDing him and used sposies after stash hopping to find that he peed through EVERYTHING we tried unless we made it so crazy bulky he couldn't walk. And night times were a joke.
My 2nd son was CDed (still is as he's special needs and doesn't get the potty training thing). He'll be 5 in Feb. We recently had to switch him disposable pull ups because nothing else fits and the stuff that does fit isn't absorbent enough.

Then I got pregnant with my twin girls. I tried EVERYTHING prefitted, fitteds, flats, prefolds, name brand pockets. FINALLY found a stash that worked for a while (FLIPs and Thirsties Hemp prefolds with a doubler). And then it didn't work anymore. I went back to looking. Fitted with wool, flats doubled with wool, fleece, etc so forth and so on. I spent 100's of dollars (somewhere around 1,000) to try and find a stash that worked for my girls. Someone suggested I give Alva a try. I came here and there were mixed reviews but most of the negative reviews were people saying that couldn't possibly be good because they weren't made in the US. So I tried one.

It's been over a year. My daughter do not pee through their diapers, day or night. My entire stash is made up of Alva brand double gusset diapers with the alva brand bamboo blend inserts. I do not own any of the Grovia knock offs. I do not own the BG knock off. I do not own the Kawaii knock offs.

I TRIED to buy US made diapers but they are crazy expensive (20 dollars a diaper x the 36-40 I need for decent stash for my girls) would have me spending over 700 dollars. I didn't use sposies on them because cloth is better. I would have gladly shelled out the extra money (and did) if the stuff had actually worked. But it didn't.

So now my whole stash of 40 diapers with 80 inserts ran me less than 300 and it's the ONLY thing that worked.

If anyone has a suggestion for a diaper stash that is US made that I can buy for my twin girls that will run me around 300 and work, please by all means let me know but I for one am thankful that Alva exists because they were my last ditch effort before giving up on cloth all together.
__________________
Cheli
Mommy to the 4 that make me whole
River (2/06) Journey (2/08) Twin girls Kaeda & Ember (8/10)
Chrijodo is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #326
Chrijodo's Avatar
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 6,960
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

WOW I did not mean to get that winded
__________________
Cheli
Mommy to the 4 that make me whole
River (2/06) Journey (2/08) Twin girls Kaeda & Ember (8/10)
Chrijodo is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #327
kalibratx4's Avatar
kalibratx4
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,610
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

I have read through this thread (took me 3 days) and while I understand the ethics behind the stolen prints and the buying overseas argument. We try to buy american made as much as possible but there are times when we don't. The diaper snob comments ehh I feel like I am a diaper snob when it comes to sposies but brands don't matter to me, what works and what is in my budget does.

When we needed a filler for our stash and wanted to stay within our means Alvas fit the bill. They are an awesome diaper considering the $ spent. We love the fit and have not had any problem with the workmanship not to mention very good customer service. I have not bought any of the stolen prints and most likely wouldn't but I will buy more Alvas.


Last edited by kalibratx4; 11-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.
kalibratx4 is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #328
Jenrose
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 62
Re: Alva stealing prints?

This is a hard issue for me. My first experience with cloth diapers was flats, pins, and rubber pants, in 1984, when my sister was born. I was good at it. When my daughter was born in 1993, prefolds were the "new" thing, and I could not afford the fancy wool snap covers. I got some used, as well as some contours, but mostly used gerber prefolds (triple stuffed), pins and pull up nylon pants. In 2005, when my second was born, we used covers and prefolds for the most part... but I didn't love it. I never loved it. It was a chore. Life got busy, we switched to the cheapest disposables I could find. When my son was born in 2012, I said I wouldn't cloth diaper and we used disposables for 4 months... he hit that neverland between size 2 and size 3 where nothing fit and I was washing so much poop out of his clothes I decided I might as well be washing cloth. I was resistant because I have fibro and had a VERY hard pregnancy and was having a hard time dealing with my own laundry, let alone diaper laundry. The idea of spending $20 per diaper was ludicrous to me. A friend raved on about her GoGreens, I looked at reviews which said they were rebranded alvas, bought some alvas, and it was seriously like the choirs sang and the clouds parted. No freakin way was I spending $12 per diaper, let alone the $25-35 that the "good" diapers were going for. I had a hard enough time with the cost of covers, everything for my girls had been sized and had to be rebought when they grew.

I really rather loathed prefolds, and with my kids' sensitive skin, anything sitting with wetness next to the skin is just asking for trouble. One of the reasons I readily gave up disposables with Miles is that all of them seemed to make him break out. It hasn't been perfect with ALvas but it has been much, much better.

Alvas+Charcoal bamboo works for us. Really, really well. And yet... I have a Problem with them stealing art. The designs of cloth diapers have been swiped grandly from one brand to another rampantly for years. As a baby carrier designer I know how possible it is for one person to spend weeks, months, years perfecting a design and then turn around and see someone else came up with something dang near identical working in their little corner without ever seeing yours. I don't worry too much about "design theft" where the structure of the diaper is concerned. But stealing prints is just stupid and unnecessary. I'd design fabric for Alva for free, because I like their stuff and I like how many people are cloth diapering now who weren't because thier prices are low.

The argument that cloth diapering is cheaper falls apart when you realize that coming up with $12-16 per week might be manageable but paying for one's kid's entire diapering career up front at a cost of $1000 for a "good" stash is completely out of reach for a lot of families. There is a cost to being poor, and sometimes that cost is that you can't afford to do the thing that is cheaper in the long run (like buy a good car that won't need repair, or buy 40 $25 diapers up front. "Have a smaller stash, just wash more often" doesn't work for a mom who is working, or who is stretched to the max getting the laundry done every 5 days.

But in order to have inexpensive diapers we really don't NEED to have ripoff prints. And for the vast majority of cloth diapering mamas, if they find alvas, they aren't off looking at every other print to find out if the one they like at Alva is a rip-off. I wish Alva wouldn't swipe fabrics... how many freakin' owl prints do they need, anyway? I'd rather see something pretty and unique. Blaming alva may not be on point, they may or may not be commissioning the fabric... they may simply see a print and buy it, and the fabric company may be the place to be venting your spleen. There are enough chinese diaper companies using the same prints that I suspect the fabric mill is the real point of concern.

So I don't know. We have a good sized stash because of Alva. I probably wouldn't be enthusiastic about cloth diapering if it cost as much as the "main" brands do. I sure as heck would probably not still be cloth diapering if it was just prefolds and covers (which arent' necessarily cheaper... alvas on co-op are *that* cheap). Sunbabies are okay but not great for us, not as good a fit, and I don't like the fleece much. I have sunbabies, JCTrade diapers and alvas. That's it. That's what I can afford and what most of the moms I know who are doing cloth can afford. The idea of spending $16-20 on a single pocket diaper makes no sense to me. It takes a stash of about 30 diapers as a comfortable minimum for us, and that is a LOT of money to spend up front. I could build someone a stash for $200 total that would last them their kid's entire diapering career with alvas on co-op. I can steer clear of the knockoff prints if I know which they are... but am I supposed to look at a 15 year old teen mom and tell her that I'm sorry, I have a moral issue with buying from China so no, we won't be ordering the cheap ones, and her kid can only have used diapers if she can find them in between going to school and trying to keep her head above water?

So which prints from alva are knockoffs? I coordinate local buys from larger co-ops, I can keep the knockoffs off the spreadsheets. But only if I know which ones they are.
Jenrose is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #329
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenrose
This is a hard issue for me. My first experience with cloth diapers was flats, pins, and rubber pants, in 1984, when my sister was born. I was good at it. When my daughter was born in 1993, prefolds were the "new" thing, and I could not afford the fancy wool snap covers. I got some used, as well as some contours, but mostly used gerber prefolds (triple stuffed), pins and pull up nylon pants. In 2005, when my second was born, we used covers and prefolds for the most part... but I didn't love it. I never loved it. It was a chore. Life got busy, we switched to the cheapest disposables I could find. When my son was born in 2012, I said I wouldn't cloth diaper and we used disposables for 4 months... he hit that neverland between size 2 and size 3 where nothing fit and I was washing so much poop out of his clothes I decided I might as well be washing cloth. I was resistant because I have fibro and had a VERY hard pregnancy and was having a hard time dealing with my own laundry, let alone diaper laundry. The idea of spending $20 per diaper was ludicrous to me. A friend raved on about her GoGreens, I looked at reviews which said they were rebranded alvas, bought some alvas, and it was seriously like the choirs sang and the clouds parted. No freakin way was I spending $12 per diaper, let alone the $25-35 that the "good" diapers were going for. I had a hard enough time with the cost of covers, everything for my girls had been sized and had to be rebought when they grew.

I really rather loathed prefolds, and with my kids' sensitive skin, anything sitting with wetness next to the skin is just asking for trouble. One of the reasons I readily gave up disposables with Miles is that all of them seemed to make him break out. It hasn't been perfect with ALvas but it has been much, much better.

Alvas+Charcoal bamboo works for us. Really, really well. And yet... I have a Problem with them stealing art. The designs of cloth diapers have been swiped grandly from one brand to another rampantly for years. As a baby carrier designer I know how possible it is for one person to spend weeks, months, years perfecting a design and then turn around and see someone else came up with something dang near identical working in their little corner without ever seeing yours. I don't worry too much about "design theft" where the structure of the diaper is concerned. But stealing prints is just stupid and unnecessary. I'd design fabric for Alva for free, because I like their stuff and I like how many people are cloth diapering now who weren't because thier prices are low.

The argument that cloth diapering is cheaper falls apart when you realize that coming up with $12-16 per week might be manageable but paying for one's kid's entire diapering career up front at a cost of $1000 for a "good" stash is completely out of reach for a lot of families. There is a cost to being poor, and sometimes that cost is that you can't afford to do the thing that is cheaper in the long run (like buy a good car that won't need repair, or buy 40 $25 diapers up front. "Have a smaller stash, just wash more often" doesn't work for a mom who is working, or who is stretched to the max getting the laundry done every 5 days.

But in order to have inexpensive diapers we really don't NEED to have ripoff prints. And for the vast majority of cloth diapering mamas, if they find alvas, they aren't off looking at every other print to find out if the one they like at Alva is a rip-off. I wish Alva wouldn't swipe fabrics... how many freakin' owl prints do they need, anyway? I'd rather see something pretty and unique. Blaming alva may not be on point, they may or may not be commissioning the fabric... they may simply see a print and buy it, and the fabric company may be the place to be venting your spleen. There are enough chinese diaper companies using the same prints that I suspect the fabric mill is the real point of concern.

So I don't know. We have a good sized stash because of Alva. I probably wouldn't be enthusiastic about cloth diapering if it cost as much as the "main" brands do. I sure as heck would probably not still be cloth diapering if it was just prefolds and covers (which arent' necessarily cheaper... alvas on co-op are *that* cheap). Sunbabies are okay but not great for us, not as good a fit, and I don't like the fleece much. I have sunbabies, JCTrade diapers and alvas. That's it. That's what I can afford and what most of the moms I know who are doing cloth can afford. The idea of spending $16-20 on a single pocket diaper makes no sense to me. It takes a stash of about 30 diapers as a comfortable minimum for us, and that is a LOT of money to spend up front. I could build someone a stash for $200 total that would last them their kid's entire diapering career with alvas on co-op. I can steer clear of the knockoff prints if I know which they are... but am I supposed to look at a 15 year old teen mom and tell her that I'm sorry, I have a moral issue with buying from China so no, we won't be ordering the cheap ones, and her kid can only have used diapers if she can find them in between going to school and trying to keep her head above water?

So which prints from alva are knockoffs? I coordinate local buys from larger co-ops, I can keep the knockoffs off the spreadsheets. But only if I know which ones they are.
Very well said.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #330
newmommy13's Avatar
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,750
Aren't the alva double gussets a rumparooz design knockoff? Never seen either but I remember hearing that.

I think for a lot of people its about priorities. For one person buying usa is priority #1 so it comes before ease of use so they use flats/pfs or buy fewer. 30 is a big stash imo.

Eta also this was no happy coincidence. They looked specifically at the best selling diapers and found out their most popular prints. This was deliberately done to steal business.

Eta again lol to those who say alvas are made for a different market than more expensive diapers I don't believe that is true. My family was in a terrible financial position when my dd was a baby but I was working 13 hour days and daycare wasn't having prefolds. So I had 6 bg aios for daycare and the ready was pfs. Now with alva of course for the same price I can have a big 30 diaper stash if I pay coop prices. This time around I chose to get a dozen bg seconds for $150 and some flats off fsot. It doesn't make me a snob or even better than anyone else. I just made a different choice because I had different priorities at the time.
__________________
I, mama to dd A (3-08) dfs J (10/11) and in love with newbie dfd N! (10/13)
hopeful pre-adoptive foster family

Last edited by newmommy13; 11-24-2012 at 08:30 PM.
newmommy13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.