Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone NOT like Heart of Dakota???

We used it for a few years and went a different route this year. The main reason I switched was because I wanted to keep all of my DC together. It also took us forever to get through each day's plans! They would take forever on all the assignments! We also didn't like the art projects. My DC are very creative and the projects were so specific and left little room for creativity.

With all that being said, I learned a lot about how to schedule my own curriculum. Seeing it all laid out really helped me. It also helped me homeschool through a move and the birth of our 4th baby. Another plus is the booklist...I absolutely adore the books HOD uses.

This year I am using my own curriculum (following Charlotte Mason methods) and it's going really well. I think I learned so much by HOD lesson plans and it's really helped me to create my own.

Advertisement

HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I was doing the preschool one with two of mine, and I did not care for the preschool one. I am doing Little Hearts for His Glory with my 7 year old and we really love it. I don't do it all for sure (every box/activity), but it seems like such a good base for us. I have added in explode the code and we do math u see as well. I have felt guilty for not doing it ALL, but we add in so I am sure it equals out. Or at least I hope . My advice is to get the guide and go from there before you order the rest of what you might need .

So those who do HOD, am I not the only one who doesn't do everything?!? We haven't really got into the poems too much...and we don't do every activity.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have done several guides from HOD.

I did Preschool with my dd when she was 2. She really loved all the hand movements, but I also sang them to her.

I did LHFHG with my middle ds when he was 5. The only thing I didn't like was that I feel it is way too light on the science end. My middle child loves math and science, so I was having to add another science program. We also really didn't like History for Little Pilgrims.

With my oldest I used PHFHG and Creation to Christ. Again, it was too light in science for me. I did love all the books and the layout of the programs. Science for the olders would be my only complaint.

Now I am using KONOS with my younger 2 kids. My oldest son hates Unit Studies, so I put together some different things for 7th grade. He prefers more of a classical education, I love Memoria Press.

KONOS is really a lot of fun and has similar concepts to HOD, but you do not have such detailed directions, it is more up to you to figure that out.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
So those who do HOD, am I not the only one who doesn't do everything?!? We haven't really got into the poems too much...and we don't do every activity.
We don't do every activity. With food issues here, I don't do the ones that require a lot of our more expensive food alternatives. Some the kids just don't want to do. I'm fine with that.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've sort of gone in the opposite direction as south5--she's gone from HOD to KONOS, and we did it the other way! In my heart of hearts, I would love to still be using KONOS and teaching all my kiddos together, but in the grand scheme of things, I've needed something the past few years in which it's all laid out for me. HOD has definitely fulfilled that need. I'd say it depends on which level you're looking at. I've never managed to make it past the 8th week or so with LHTH, for whatever reason. I don't think it's so much the curriculu, but with preschool I don't put a whole lot of priority on doing actual curriculum. At that age, I much prefer to sit down and read books with my little one and maybe do some fun lapbook type things from homeschoolshare.com.
I tried doing LHFHG with one of my kids--did not care for that one at all. History for Little Pilgrims just wasn't clicking with me and the poems/fingerplays seemed disjointed and forced to me.
However, we have enjoyed Beyond Little Hearts. I am currently doing Bigger Hearts with 2 of my kiddos and we are enjoying it. My older son completed all of CTC, and that was a fantastic year (and a half)! Now he's doing RtoR (another year and a half). He really enjoys having everything all laid out for him and being able to work independently. I feel like it's the perfect balance between independent work and me still having time to sit and cuddle and read with him. I absolutely love all the books that Carrie picks out. If it's up to me, I'd continue with HOD for the long haul all the way through high school as she writes those guides. However, we'll have to see since we're not sure if we're homeschooling for high school.
So I'd say that while I don't care for LHFHG, after that, I progressively like the programs more and more as they go up in level. I do think that they are extremely meaty and there is a lot of learning in them! If anything, it's difficult to get everything done in a day because we do enjoy following rabbit trails sometimes and discussing things more than perhaps the curriculum has planned for. However, that's part of the reason we're homeschooling--explore topics of interest in more depth, tie in concepts that relate to what we're reading, etc.
HTH
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

I'm using BLHFHG with my 1st and 2nd grader....I LOVE their history, LOVE LOVE LOVE it....the science is a joke....the language arts is ok, but I decided to go with other things that work better for us. The Math just tells you what pages to do in Singapore Math...we were already doing Singapore, so I just kept working on that. They have great read-aloud suggestions. and I LOVE LOVE DITHOR for my 2nd grader. If they just had their history by itself, I would continue with that, but they don't, so we will be moving on next year. I will probably continue with DITHOR for upper elementary reading.
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote