Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
newbaby
Registered Users
seller

Paypal Scam??

My husband put our homemade sleigh bed on craigslist and we have someone overseas (on duty) wanting to make payments via paypal. He says he has an agent who will pick it up when payments are finished. I don't know much about paypal, but would like the payments to go directly to our checking account. Is this possible? We also don't want to pay PP fees, but not sure how much Paypal charges for transactions or how we would get him to pay these fees. I've never heard of paypal being unsafe, but we just want to be extra cautious. Any comments, recommendations, etc? Please help! Anything would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

newbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paypal Scam??

sounds like a scam to me. I don't sell ANYTHING on craigslist unless its a local pickup/meetup and they come with cash in hand. Paypal & craigslist can be tricky and is almost always a scam...pretty much what most scammers with it do is pay with paypal, then try to pick up locally (so there's no proof that they received the item), then file a claim and get the money back claiming non-delivery. Its almost guaranteed anytime you get an "overseas" scammer, they're going to supposedly be military to try to gain trust. Don't even bother.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

it says be wary on these inquiries as well as money orders and the like on CL in scam stuff.

I get those a lot and one on our truck was like he would pay for ship and all but didn't ever seem to acknowledge the fact that we needed to find different car first and was like right away I will have ship company come get it.....

Paypal goes on % of money in transaction and you could request the other party to cover but it sounds fishy to me personally. like for 120.00 I think for my diapers I got like 100 for it or slightly less so it is based on amount (lower amount = lower fees). I think you should read the updates to paypal too on changes they have made to policies they have.

I would deal locally on CL personally and meet in a public space if possible for exchange and cash (no check or anything like that). if you have an email of the person you could check facebook too I suppose but like I don't and can't find in yahoo profiles a really good solid thing plus I have gotten spam in my email from friends that I know they don't send out and from strangers the same....

I wouldn't do it!!!!!!!!

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 11-22-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: wnted to reword something
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's definitely a scam.

I have never understood what exactly this scam would be getting out of you though? Unless they're asking for your bank info so they can wire the payment?

Don't do it.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Red flag to me. Everything screams scam...I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't use PayPal through Craig's list. But, to be honest, when you do use PayPal, it is common convention and expected that the seller pays the PayPal fees (not the buyer). You need to be aware of what they are and then factor that into your asking price. For diapers I sold for $150, I think I paid $15 in PayPal fees. This is why I have since decided to sell my used baby items on Kijiji, rather than eBay, whenever possible.

Plus everything is exchanged in person...it is so easy for them to go back to PyPal and claim "nondelivery".
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
sounds like a scam to me. I don't sell ANYTHING on craigslist unless its a local pickup/meetup and they come with cash in hand. Paypal & craigslist can be tricky and is almost always a scam...pretty much what most scammers with it do is pay with paypal, then try to pick up locally (so there's no proof that they received the item), then file a claim and get the money back claiming non-delivery. Its almost guaranteed anytime you get an "overseas" scammer, they're going to supposedly be military to try to gain trust. Don't even bother.
My dad was scammed this way don't do it he lost $5,000 it was for a car.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs77tsa View Post
My dad was scammed this way don't do it he lost $5,000 it was for a car.
I'm not sure how long it has been but he should be to prove the car was delivered if the new owner changed the title into their name.

If they are saying they didn't get it and your dad doesn't have it, he needs to report it stolen and try getting it recovered that way.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
NOOOO!!!!

It is absolutely a scam. Do NOT do it.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~

I'm not sure how long it has been but he should be to prove the car was delivered if the new owner changed the title into their name.

If they are saying they didn't get it and your dad doesn't have it, he needs to report it stolen and try getting it recovered that way.
This. That car didn't just go poof. I'm sure it's traceable by vin.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote