Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #41
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WHY are MILs so terrible?

I have 2 boys and already am promising to be a decent mil. I need to start studying up. I won't have any daughters so I HAVE to behave myself.

Advertisement

misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Dang! Now I'm curious what did she say?? She sounds like a real nutter!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #43
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it has to do with over bearing moms not wanting to let go. :-)

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #44
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For what it's worth I'm in the camp of love my mil (though she annoys me sometimes, she's still great- and lives with us no less). But my dad is another story. Thankfully he lives 1500 miles away and only visits every few years.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #45
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I have 2 boys and already am promising to be a decent mil. I need to start studying up. I won't have any daughters so I HAVE to behave myself.
I have one daughter and one son, but I'm still worried. I will do my best to respect my kids-in-law and be the best MIL for them I can, and I hope they show me some grace as we figure out the dynamics of our relationship.

I think being a MIL is a pretty tough job, it seems like some DILs (not that I've seen in this thread, but elsewhere) just aren't ever happy. She's too involved, not involved enough. Too generous/uses money to manipulate, never gives anything. Wants to be your new best friend, doesn't want to be close. And on and on.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #46
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum

Haha, I think you just won DS
She was the worst in terms of spousal parents. I've had about 50/50 with ex's parents and liking/disliking each other.

My friends' parents however... ha. My best friend for many years, her father contemplated running me over with his truck. Another's parents swore up and down I was the devil and ruined their daughter's soul.

My parental experiences aren't boring, that much I can say. I'm really a love or hate me type of person. I've had ex's mothers that still love me to death and keep in contact, wish I had married their son, etc. And those that I'm sure would have me on the top of a hit list if it were an option.

ETA: I can add my most recent ex's mother in there. When I told her I was pregnant with DS2, she stood up, drew back and bucked at me, trying to fight me.

Apparently I just solicit violence from people

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #47
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't stand my in-laws and haven't talked to them for months and my DH also can't stand his parents. They are know it alls and my father in-law refuses to take his medication which makes him miserable. One day I got sick of his behavior and I stood up to him which he totally could not handle and he stopped talking to me. He brainwashed my mother in law with years of belittling her so she thinks that he is perfectly normal. I always tell my DH that if he ever treated me the way his dad treats his mom he would be wishing he never met me

I think that the major problem with my in-laws is that they expect everyone to need their help- they raised my DH and his brother to always fall back on them. Well, too bad for them because their son married me and my parents raised me to be independent and to know that if I was going to make it in life that I needed to do it on my own because they were broke. My DH is now a reformed born-with-a-silver-spoon-in-his-mouth kid and like me, would rather be a hooker on the street corner than ask his throw-it-in-your-face-that-we-helped-you parents.

My parents are great because they know they raised me well and don't even try to give me unwanted advice. Plus I don't see them often so that definetly helps
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #48
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The subject of in-laws makes my stomach turn to knots. We are supposed to go to sil's for Thanksgiving on Saturday and I'm hoping that it gets canceled. The past two years Christmas was canceled because of the flu. Yeehaw!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #49
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok I will not tell stories of MIL bc we would be here for a long time and I would have pain in my hands after typing so in the end MIL wins--but my dh describes her in the perfect sports terms

"She passes when she should shoot, and shoots when she should pass."

If you do not understand--asks your dh's.

When dh said this quote to me it was a total "AHH HAA" moment.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #50
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
My MIL isn't bad. My relationship with her isn't great mainly bc of the cultural/religious differences and language barrier, but she's a nice woman who accepts me the way I am. That's all I can ask.

My own mother is so freaking critical of me that the thought of seeing her this week has pushed me into my seasonal depression. I actually spent time today googling very expensive skin care lines so I could magically make myself beautiful before seeing my mother on Wednesday. Not that it matters because she'll find something else wrong with me.