Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

What nice things will you do for strangers this holiday season?

The other day I was grocery shopping (by myself for once) and the lady in front of me didn't quite have enough $ to cover her last few items. She wasn't too concerned or anything, and just told the checker "oh well", but I went ahead and paid for them (it wasn't very much, like $3), but it still made me She said that she would "pay it forward" which made me wonder if anyone else does little things for other people (holiday season or not), and their experiences.
Thanks!

Advertisement

MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Re: What nice things will you do for strangers this holiday season?

Yes all the time. I love doing things for people. Me and the kids make gift bags for the women and kids at the battered women's shelter for Christmas.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was really inspired by all of the stories about strangers paying off people's layaway orders last year and I promised myself I'd do that this year.

It's not some change the world type charity, but there have been times when such a gesture would have done a lot for me.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark
I was really inspired by all of the stories about strangers paying off people's layaway orders last year and I promised myself I'd do that this year.

It's not some change the world type charity, but there have been times when such a gesture would have done a lot for me.

Love this!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post

Agree.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am extra courteous to everyone I encounter lately. It's for me too, but for this holiday time I am forcing myself to slow down, even if it makes me late, and let people get in front of me, or make eye contact and smile at them, or whatever I can do to make this time of year a little better or easier. I don't consider our family as having a lot extra money wise, but money just can't seem to buy a friendly gesture.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Last Christmas, my 2 youngest children were in the NICU and had been for well over a month by that point. It sucked. To be honest, I know that we did all of the Christmas traditions at home because I insisted on doing it for DD1, but I actually don't remember any of it. I have PTSD from our NICU experience. The day after Christmas last year, I found a basket of mom goodies (body wash, lotion, lip gloss, etc.) next to my DS's NICU crib with a note that said, "To a NICU Mom, From a former NICU Mom." That's what I actually remember from last Christmas. It just meant so much to know that someone else had lived it and survived it and was thinking of me even though we had never met.

This year, I'm organizing a very grass-roots drive for NICU baby and mom gifts. I've asked my friends, family, and co-workers to help me buy and gather things for families with babies in the NICU and my DH and I will be "paying it forward" by delivering them to 2 different NICUs this Christmas.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
Last Christmas, my 2 youngest children were in the NICU and had been for well over a month by that point. It sucked. To be honest, I know that we did all of the Christmas traditions at home because I insisted on doing it for DD1, but I actually don't remember any of it. I have PTSD from our NICU experience. The day after Christmas last year, I found a basket of mom goodies (body wash, lotion, lip gloss, etc.) next to my DS's NICU crib with a note that said, "To a NICU Mom, From a former NICU Mom." That's what I actually remember from last Christmas. It just meant so much to know that someone else had lived it and survived it and was thinking of me even though we had never met.

This year, I'm organizing a very grass-roots drive for NICU baby and mom gifts. I've asked my friends, family, and co-workers to help me buy and gather things for families with babies in the NICU and my DH and I will be "paying it forward" by delivering them to 2 different NICUs this Christmas.
Where in VA are you? We are in Richmond and I would love to try and gather more people to help you with this, I had a NICU baby as well and know what a heart breaking time it can be.
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
Where in VA are you? We are in Richmond and I would love to try and gather more people to help you with this, I had a NICU baby as well and know what a heart breaking time it can be.
We're in the Fredericksburg/NOVA area. We're planning to split the gifts between MWH in Fredericksburg and Christiana Hospital in Delaware (where my twins were born when we lived there last year). I have family in Richmond and would be willing to meet you there to pick things up if you want to help.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

I am taking a bunch of toys the kids never played with and giving them to people who can't afford Christmas this year. We are also going to see if we can find an angel tree, and do toys for tots as well. I like the idea of paying for something for someone else, but I don't know how to go about doing that on an amount we can afford.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote