Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: Can I make a suggestion? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
I'm hoping the ladies here would be mature enough to know that if they can't just agree or give support, they would choose not to participate in the discussion. Maybe just wishful thinking? lol
I've been on this board a long time. Since before it even was *this* board and there are many people here who pretty much only post to tell other people how to live. And this board has never done well with posters who just want hiney pats.

Personally IDC either way, but I really don't think JAWM will work with the dynamics here. Maybe all the newbies can prove me wrong

Advertisement

Last edited by Gerdgrid; 11-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
my first thought as well, along w/ controversial topics
I'm not sure, but I guess my thought is that just b/c someone makes a thread, doesn't mean you HAVE to respond to it. On the other board, it is never abused like that.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #33
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm just saying people could easily abuse a system like that, posting threads just to hit a nerve or being able to post hot button topics and its only one-sided because y'all have to agree with OP or not post at all. Seems also away to be able push one's beliefs out there knowing they can't get called out.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #34
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I guess I just have more faith in these ladies than that. It would only work if everyone allowed it to work. You never know unless you try it.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower
I'm just saying people could easily abuse a system like that, posting threads just to hit a nerve or being able to post hot button topics and its only one-sided because y'all have to agree with OP or not post at all. Seems also away to be able push one's beliefs out there knowing they can't get called out.
I think that pretty much already happens. As an example, anti-circ threads with a disclaimer saying they're for anti-circ discussion only. Come in and argue, get reported to mods.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #36
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think it would work here

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I think that pretty much already happens. As an example, anti-circ threads with a disclaimer saying they're for anti-circ discussion only. Come in and argue, get reported to mods.
Yeah, those kind of threads happen already, and besides...it's just a phrase. If what they are talking about is really THAT bad, it will probably get locked anyway. Plus, it just notifies people that they don't want to argue or get advice. I'm sure, from what you all are saying, that some people will do it anyway, but for those of us that WILL actually listen and respect that, I think it would work.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #38
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

What if it was a section called Venting? An opt in forum, you don't abide by the rules, you don't get to play.
First rule is you respect a vent and only offer support.
Second rule you can not pick any of the topics in ~happy2Bamommy~ the supermod's signature. I can't find her old siggy it said if you want a hot discussion (or something like this) pick one of these topics. It had circumcision, vaccines, spanking, homebirths, duggars, etc.

I think if people just said I am really upset my MIL is not respecting our choices, even if they said "about circumcision" the focus is on the lack of respect, not circumcision (the hot button topic). If instead you said my MIL wants be to brutalize my child and have him cirumcized, you are pushing buttons. It could work but there would have to be some monitoring for a time. Which is why I think a separate forum would be perfect, repeat offenders just don't get to play. It would be lovely to be able to complain about someone not respecting your choices without it becoming a heated thread.

Last edited by joyful mother; 11-19-2012 at 08:33 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sometimes a JAWM post isn't a vent, though. What if someone had something happen to them and they just want support, not advice. I don't think that would fit in a vent forum. I posted something along those lines once, and got a ton of advice I wasn't looking for. I simply just didn't respond to those posts but they hurt me more than they helped me (my post was about us stopping TTC after 12 years), and if someone says it is a JAWM post people will know ahead of time that they don't want any advice.

A forum like you suggested would be nice, though. Kind of like the SS board.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 11-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #40
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady

Yeah, those kind of threads happen already, and besides...it's just a phrase. If what they are talking about is really THAT bad, it will probably get locked anyway. Plus, it just notifies people that they don't want to argue or get advice. I'm sure, from what you all are saying, that some people will do it anyway, but for those of us that WILL actually listen and respect that, I think it would work.
I agree.