Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
MamaRuth
Registered Users

WWYD? Item not as described

I've only had a couple of purchases on here and I was happy with the transactions but I'm not sure what to do about the latest one. A mama advertised a Grovia stay-dry soaker which is what I was looking for. I asked her the condition and she said it was "good". The picture on her post wasn't close up, so I really couldn't tell. I paid for it along with a Grovia cover and when I received it, it looks more like an organic one, but it's actually a bit darker tinted than the ones I've purchased new and it is definitely not stay-dry. Once I let her know she apologized and just said she does not offer refunds and wasn't familiar with the Grovia products because she never used it on her child. Is this the norm on this site for refunds? If it is, I'll call it a loss because I won't use the soaker in the condition it's in.

It was only $3 and I'm wondering if I should just let it go. But the fact that it wasn't as described even after I asked for the condition doesn't sit well with me. My other thought is to leave negative feedback.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

MamaRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Lol, no. She doesn't get the option of "not offering refunds." You paid through PayPal, yes? If so, you're fine. First, I would contact a moderator, and tell them who she is and that she is saying she doesn't offer refunds on misrepresented items. You don't get to claim something is one thing, find out it's another and refuse any type of solution. The moderator will do just that, moderate, and inform her of the rules of selling on DS, as well as accepting payment through PayPal and what that entails. Then, they will attempt to find a route you're both happy with. You may end up with a solution through mediation.

If she still refuses to do anything to appease the issue, you can open a claim with PayPal as "item not as described" and since it is the incorrect item, you will almost certainly win. In which case you mail the item back to her, and they make her issue a refund.

Luckily, PayPal protects buyers from situations like this, when an item you bought isn't what you received.

Also, I wouldn't leave feedback until the entire transaction is over, and you see how it ends up.

ETA: While it is "just" a $3 item, I would at the very least contact a mod. She needs to have someone talk to her about how she has handled this thus far, and how B/S/T works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-19-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: WWYD? Item not as described

PP is correct, however paypal will require that you the buyer pay return shipping, which on low value items you have to outweigh the cost/benefit on returns. That said of course a seller can and should cover return shipping on items not as described, but paypal will not force them too, and while we at DS encourage sellers to do the right thing we are bound by paypals terms and conditions and they make the decisions on claims we dont have any sway nor can we negate a means in which seller pays return ship unfortionatly.

And sellers do not get to say they dont accept returns on items they inaccuratly describe, please feel free to contact me or any other mod per pm.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
MamaRuth
Registered Users

Thanks! This is very helpful. I did pay through PayPal. It's definitely the principal of it. Contacted you Serenajean1.

Last edited by MamaRuth; 11-19-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

ya she doesnt get to "not offer refunds" file through PP if you need to. There is a sticky about how to contact a mod here
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

but lots of mods post in this section of DS so anyone with moderator written under their screen name should be able to help you out
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She said it was a certain thing, then when you got, it wasn't what she said it was - it wasn't what you bought. She definitely needs to make this right for you mama! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
PP is correct, however paypal will require that you the buyer pay return shipping, which on low value items you have to outweigh the cost/benefit on returns. That said of course a seller can and should cover return shipping on items not as described, but paypal will not force them too, and while we at DS encourage sellers to do the right thing
It's unfortunate that sellers won't just make things really right (ie. pay for all shipping) when it's their own mistake.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
MamaRuth
Registered Users

Thanks so much for your help on this and the quick responses! You all are making me feel better about continuing to purchase on this site. I now have the help of a moderator. I always try to ask the right questions and only buy from people with feedback, but it's a learning experience for sure. *sigh*
Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's definitely up to the buyer to ask for a detailed description of the items condition and close up pictures so I'd keep that in mind for next time so there is not difference of opinion as far as that goes, but the fact that she sold you the wrong item is enough to either ask for a refund or file with paypal. I know mistakes can be made, but her unwillingness to do anything after sending you the wrong item would leave a very bad taste in my mouth.