Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Religious Christmas Cards

I always send out religious Christmas Cards, because for me Christmas is a very spiritual time. I like receiving all kinds of Christmas Cards. I like the snowman ones and the ones with the Grinch on them, or the ones with Santa Claus on them. Are not so religious people rolling their eyes at my yearly nativity card though? I always wonder. I always pick beautiful cards and I put a photo of the boys in the card and I write them out by hand and address them. I like religious Christmas Cards but I don't want my sentiment of love and Merry Christmas to be thought preachy by my friends who might not like Jesus as much as I do...... But then they like me the way I am right? I don't think Christmas needs to be PC, I can send pretty Nativity Cards.... right? I don't know why I'm even thinking about this. What do yall think?

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

I'm not religious and I don't get upset....the only one that seems pointed to me is the one from my parents. I love receiving cards and it is such a special time of year...I don't think people would be upset especially if they know who you are.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Religious Christmas Cards

I am not religious but do appreciate and respect others spiritual choices. I think your card should most certainly represent your family. Happiest Holidays
Old 11-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I suppose that depends on whether you consider sending the cards to be something you are doing to bring someone else joy or to bring you joy. If you are doing it to bring someone else joy, then I wouldn't send a Christian card to an atheist or a non-Christian. I would instead send an appropriate card that would have meaning to them (such as sending a Hanukkah card to a Jewish family or a Happy Holidays or Happy New Year card to a non-believer). If you are instead doing it because it brings you joy, then I suppose you should send whatever card you like. I don't think most people are offended by receiving a card that doesn't apply to them, but I think most people appreciate receiving a card that shows the sender was considering the receiver's beliefs instead of the sender's.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Christmas is a religious holiday, so I don't see a problem with it. I was actually wondering this myself just today, b/c I found a really cute set of cards with a manger with a star above it on the front, with a portion of a bible passage inside, and I wondered if people would be offended, but I guess if they are that offended by a religious card, then IMHO they shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. *shrug*

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

we are not christian and it does not bother me one bit if a friend who is religious sends me a card with Jesus or the nativity, im touched that they thought of us at the holiday, thats what really matters. Just like i wouldnt be upset or offended if my Jewish friend sent me a Hanukkah (sp?) card, it represents their family and their beliefs during the season
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are religious and therefore I send out "religious" Christmas cards.

I am never offended if I receive "happy holiday" cards. or any other spiritual cards.

IMO the card should represent your family.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I am not religious but do appreciate and respect others spiritual choices. I think your card should most certainly represent your family. Happiest Holidays
This. I think your card should reflect you beliefs and your family. It is meant to send your wishes.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds good, I'm not religious but I enjoy the cards and religious stuff I receive from my grandma, she is very religious. Its a part of her that I love and honored she shares such a huge part of her w/ me and my kids.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
All depends.

If I get a religious card I open it, take the pictures out, and read the note if the person sent one. I dont read the card (like prewritten) or keep religious cards. I do keep peoples pics though. All my secular card go on the mantle.

And xmas is not a religious holiday. It was a pagan holiday taken over by xtians. There are plenty of people I know that get xmas cards that are jewish, athiest etc. i also know many people who dont celebrate xmas as a religious holiday. In fact I know more non religious xmas celebrators than I do religious ones.

I send a card to my jewish friends. Usually something wintery with a pic of the kids and a Happy Holidays. Just because someone celebrates xmas with christ doesnt mean that all people do. I also send them to family and friends of different backgrounds. Always just happy holidays.

That said. If you send a religious card that is just standard religion and not pushy and it makes you feel good then keep doing it!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote