Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #81
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are we stuck in the 1950's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Wow. I find this really condescending. I hope I'm mis-reading your tone.

I was never told not to lift 15+ lbs after birth. Ever. I'm pg with my 4th baby. I guess that could be important if a mama had a c/s??? I dunno.

Women all over the world have babies and then go back to work immediately. I kind of think that while moms need time to heal, they don't need to be told what NOT to do other than "if it hurts, you should stop" seems like a pretty good rule of thumb to me.

I've also lifted all kinds of heavy things during and immediately after pregnancy. Including but not limited to: my 30+ lb older kids who still need/want to be held by their mommy.
I wasn't replying to you. But no, women should not be lifting more than 15 pounds immediately after delivery (and that includes your 30+ pound kid). It's irresponsible. Your body is recovering from a major, major ordeal. Exercise, heavy housework, lifting more than 15 pounds- it's not recommended by any medical literature I have ever read. In fact, all of the medical literature recommends the exact opposite.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #82
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

^^ seriously... Now we are attacking each other. Once again proving why people think Diaper Swappers is just nuts.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #83
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
I wasn't replying to you. But no, women should not be lifting more than 15 pounds immediately after delivery (and that includes your 30+ pound kid). It's irresponsible. Your body is recovering from a major, major ordeal. Exercise, heavy housework, lifting more than 15 pounds- it's not recommended by any medical literature I have ever read. In fact, all of the medical literature recommends the exact opposite.
ok
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #84
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
It's probably not ok, but it's like being out on bed rest when you have several little ones and no one to help you... You gotta do what you gotta do. People do it because they don't have a choice.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #85
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the record, I don't believe in men mollycoddling their wives during the time directly after birth either. You know, in the way Dr. Sears described his wife going into a cocoon and everyone basically making sure she isn't disturbed etc.

There is a happy medium to be had here for both partners and based on the REAL need of each partner.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #86
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
It's probably not ok, but it's like being out on bed rest when you have several little ones and no one to help you... You gotta do what you gotta do. People do it because they don't have a choice.
Well sure the woman in the third world country doesn't have a choice. She's got to get out there and do what she has to do to survive. But you can't tell me that a woman in a first world country with a fully functioning DH doesn't have a choice- unless she's stuck in a patriarchal marriage where she is subservient to her husband who is put on God like status such that he needs his floor mopped on hands and knees (recommended in the article) in the postpartum period. That's just crazy talk. And moving boxes into a Uhaul 2-3 days after delivery? That's not something to boast about. If I had done that 2-3 days after delivery, my husband would be ashamed of himself for not stepping up to the plate, being a man, and allowing my body to recover from childbirth.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #87
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Well sure the woman in the third world country doesn't have a choice. She's got to get out there and do what she has to do to survive. But you can't tell me that a woman in a first world country with a fully functioning DH doesn't have a choice- unless she's stuck in a patriarchal marriage where she is subservient to her husband who is put on God like status such that he needs his floor mopped on hands and knees (recommended in the article) in the postpartum period. That's just crazy talk. And moving boxes into a Uhaul 2-3 days after delivery? That's not something to boast about. If I had done that 2-3 days after delivery, my husband would be ashamed of himself for not stepping up to the plate, being a man, and allowing my body to recover from childbirth.
I'm sure wives can get help while their DH is home, but most dh's can't take off that much time from work, if any. And there is all the time during the day when there is no help... I think many women just get used to doing I themselves so even when there is help they don't accept it. Like why avoid lifting 15 pounds for 4 hours of the day when I have to lift that much for 12 hours of the day?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #88
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
For the record, I don't believe in men mollycoddling their wives during the time directly after birth either. You know, in the way Dr. Sears described his wife going into a cocoon and everyone basically making sure she isn't disturbed etc.

There is a happy medium to be had here for both partners and based on the REAL need of each partner.
YES. Agree 100%. I just gave birth. I did not just have brain or spinal surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
I'm sure wives can get help while their DH is home, but most dh's can't take off that much time from work, if any. And there is all the time during the day when there is no help... I think many women just get used to doing I themselves so even when there is help they don't accept it. Like why avoid lifting 15 pounds for 4 hours of the day when I have to lift that much for 12 hours of the day?
Agree. And, good point.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #89
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Wow. I find this really condescending. I hope I'm mis-reading your tone.

I was never told not to lift 15+ lbs after birth. Ever. I'm pg with my 4th baby. I guess that could be important if a mama had a c/s??? I dunno.

Women all over the world have babies and then go back to work immediately. I kind of think that while moms need time to heal, they don't need to be told what NOT to do other than "if it hurts, you should stop" seems like a pretty good rule of thumb to me.

I've also lifted all kinds of heavy things during and immediately after pregnancy. Including but not limited to: my 30+ lb older kids who still need/want to be held by their mommy.
I was told not to carry anything heavier than the baby/a gallon of milk 6 weeks after delivery. I tore all 4 times and when I wasn't compliant my hoohaa let me know because of my tearing and sutures. The body needs to recover after birth.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #90
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
I was told not to carry anything heavier than the baby/a gallon of milk 6 weeks after delivery. I tore all 4 times and when I wasn't compliant my hoohaa let me know because of my tearing and sutures. The body needs to recover after birth.
Maybe I haven't heard of this b/c I never had any stitches. I did tear. But never consented to stitches. Never had a c/s either. I would think with those 2 things, you'd need to be more careful about straining.