Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

trader joes- another what do you buy post

we had a trader joes open here last week, and i'm eager to go check it out, i've heard lots of good things.

what do you buy? what should i stay away from?

Advertisement

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: trader joes- another what do you buy post

Ours just opened a week or so ago too. Honestly I think most everything in there is pretty high priced compared to our local grocery store, so we don't really intend on buying much in there besides a few treats. If you have the budget for organic though, it's probably great to shop there.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

orange chicken....in the freezer section! delicious!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ours just opened about 2 weeks ago. I've been traveling an hour once a month to get to one for the last several years so I was glad when ours finally opened. My favorite staple things that we always get
chipotle hummus, the classico salsa (the cheap one 1.69 with the yellow lid), General Tso's sauce, the black bean and quinoa tortilla chips, the regular cereal bars ("an apple walked into the bar" or other variations of those), gluten free granola, cheerio type cereal with dried fruit, plantain chips, frozen stir fry veggies and of course the wine .
I keep all those things in my cabinets at all time. Then some of our other favorites
frozen spinach and kale pie, the pasta arrabiata, peanut butter cups, the goat cheese, brussel sprout stalks, pizza dough, kefir, frozen cheesecake, frozen gnocci with goat cheese and other various delicious things in it.

I do agree prices are more expensive than a conventional grocery store but when you compare the quality of the food it is much better. The frozen meals are not processed, no preservatives or anything. They taste great and we like to have 1 or 2 in our freezer for when we get held up during the day. When you compare their prices to Whole foods they are much cheaper.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cheapest place to buy almond milk!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

The freezer section is like my candy-land. Polenta with cream sauce, lamb vindaloo, chicken enchiladas... The frozen meals range from 3-5 bucks for the things I like, and they aren't huge. If I'm starving I can nearly finish one myself, but hubby and I can split one for a lighter meal. They aren't worth it every night, but if we've both had bad days and it's late it is definitely cheaper than ordering take out or pizza. And most of it is pretty healthy.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh yes...love the hummus! and they have the best chicken hotdogs!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcar_27 View Post
cheapest place to buy almond milk!
I was thinking of saying this but I thought, "no one else likes almond milk." There's a chocolate flavor called Almond Smooth (make sure it says smooth) that is like a milkshake. I add a shot of espresso and some ice to it in the morning and it's amazing. It's replaced my Starbucks habit easily!

Also addicted to the peanut-butter-filled-chocolate-covered-pretzels. Salty, sweet, crunchy, and it only takes one for me to have my fix.

Last edited by Palooka; 11-10-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Trader Joes is the cheapest place to buy almost anything IMO! (With the exception of Costco or the like).

Their hummus is so awesome! We love the White Bean and Tuscan varieties.

We'll be buying our turkey there this year. It is fresh and brined (which is great for smoking!). Also, we usually buy our hams for Xmas and Easter. I'm not sure if they carry them for Thanksgiving but if they do we're buying that there too. They are uncured and $1-2 cheaper/lb than Whole Foods.

Cheap things we always buy there:
Plain Greek or European yogurt $3/32oz
Relish (no HFCS) and $2ish
nuts, etc for trail mix. We make our own and buy everything there. Cheaper than anywhere else we've found
Box wine (I love the Chardonnay)

That is all I can think of off the top of my head but my overall favorite thing in the store is the Chili Mangos in the dried fruit/nut section!!

ETA: Their toothpaste is $2 and no SLS
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

sounds good... definitely dont have the budget for all organics, but i like to buy what i can. working/student mom, so a few cheap, healthy freezer meals would be nice, and ds doesnt drink cow milk, so cheap almond milk would be great

i'll probably go look aound after he goes to his dads for thanksgiving, so i can take my time, lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote