Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Help. Does OB's plan sound right? How can I go the natural route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen View Post

She's asked 3 other OB's opinions and they all seem to have the same basic opinions...I'm not sure where to even start as far as OB's in our new area.

It is still coming from her though, ya know.

I have had tremendous luck looking at Heathgrades online. Patients' reviews of their doctors. That's how I found my OB who is WONDERFUL!

*wishing you the best*

Advertisement

Last edited by Steph Ed; 11-20-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen

I already know. My body fat percentage is 32 (point something) % so it's not like I'm extremely thin...I mean to be a normal/average weight I would need to lose 2 more inches from my tummy.

ETA: I have more body fat on me than I did before conceiving DS. I weighed 120 before I conceived him...same height, same everything else. Now I weight 131 and have a higher body fat percentage...That's where I'm confused also.
Didn't read all the replies, but:

32% is definitely sufficient. I don't want to sound mean, but medically speaking, 32% body fat is considered overweight, no matter how thin you may look. 14% is actually too LOW. Normal body fat is from 18.5 to 25% (I'd venture to say under 30% is average by today's standards).

Have you examined your diet? Are you eating enough meat, legumes, and leafy greens? You won't bleed if your iron and protein is too low. You may also want to consider light exercise. Herbs can't reverse bad diet and exercise. If those need to be adjusted, make it a family affair. Salad on the table every night, nuts for snacks, and go on a family walk before or after dinner.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth

14% is actually too LOW. Normal body fat is from 18.5 to 25% (I'd venture to say under 30% is average by today's standards).
I actually disagree. For my frame and activity level, 14% is normal. When I am not pregnant or nursing, I am 125 pounds - that is nearly 15 lbs of fat, which is plenty. That is on a maintenance workout regimen with no supplements. If I lift heavier weights and increase my protein intake, I gain muscle mass. Looking at a chart with just numbers it might appear to be too low or for someone who is taller or built differently it might be too low, but IRL, for me, it's normal and healthy.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH

I actually disagree. For my frame and activity level, 14% is normal. When I am not pregnant or nursing, I am 125 pounds - that is nearly 15 lbs of fat, which is plenty. That is on a maintenance workout regimen with no supplements. If I lift heavier weights and increase my protein intake, I gain muscle mass. Looking at a chart with just numbers it might appear to be too low or for someone who is taller or built differently it might be too low, but IRL, for me, it's normal and healthy.
The minimum for healthy function is 10%, so 14 is within normal. Especially with your activity level. :-).

Then there's me over here boasting a near 40% ::

Yeah... Gotta do sown thing about that.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB621 View Post
This is totally what I was going to say! We tried for a year to get preggo with our DD. When we finally did what you said here we got pregnant the next month.

btw....if you have an android based phone or kindle fire I know you can get a free app that is called My Days that will help you keep track of when your periods are, temps, weight, CM, estimates your best days of Oing, and allows you to input which days exactly you DTD so that you can maximize your chances of ttc. I just started using it and it seems great. I'm sure you can get something very similar for an iphone or ipad too.
Yeah...I'm old fashioned. LOL. I have a go-phone, atm. I'll check around online for a free fertility chart. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph Ed View Post
It is still coming from her though, ya know.

I have had tremendous luck looking at Heathgrades online. Patients' reviews of their doctors. That's how I found my OB who is WONDERFUL!

*wishing you the best*
Ah, thanks! I'll have to get on there and look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth View Post
Didn't read all the replies, but:

32% is definitely sufficient. I don't want to sound mean, but medically speaking, 32% body fat is considered overweight, no matter how thin you may look. 14% is actually too LOW. Normal body fat is from 18.5 to 25% (I'd venture to say under 30% is average by today's standards).

Have you examined your diet? Are you eating enough meat, legumes, and leafy greens? You won't bleed if your iron and protein is too low. You may also want to consider light exercise. Herbs can't reverse bad diet and exercise. If those need to be adjusted, make it a family affair. Salad on the table every night, nuts for snacks, and go on a family walk before or after dinner.

I have actually lost around 10 pounds (never got my period when I had those extra pounds either) and my goal is to lose another 10 to be at my normal weight pre pregnancy #1. I am logging what I eat on myfitnesspal. I get plenty of protein. I eat generally very healthy apart from every other Sunday (we visit grandparents and eat some candy or icecream or cake depending and then Dh and I do a date night and get takeout that Sunday). We generally have salad atleast 2 days a week with lunch or dinner or both. I am currently doing p90x and have been for a month as time allows (had to take a break during that hurricane for a week because no one had power and had to take a short break while Ds and I were sick with a bad cold). Before that I'd been doing a dance workout and did the 30 day shred before that. I take an iron pill for anemia and prenatal vitamins. Overall I'm losing fat and gaining muscle, eating healthier, drinking a ton of water, taking my vitamins. OB told me that I'm very healthy, doing the right thing with workouts and my bmi is within normal range but she doesn't think I have enough fat to store estrogen. That's where I'm so confused.... I had just stopped taking vitex and drinking fertilitea when I O'd in September. I'm kind of thinking that they helped me out to O.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
NOTWMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Yeah...I'm old fashioned. LOL. I have a go-phone, atm. I'll check around online for a free fertility chart. Thanks!!
Check out fertilityfriend.com. I use it and have found it to be super simple. I am a semi-self taught charter and FF has some great video "classes" on charting. The last 4 months of charting have really given me some useful cycle info.

I also second the suggestion to read TCOYF.

Good luck mama!
"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD" Joshua 24:15
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3ec49c
NOTWMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

32% body fat is high
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #28
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well you sound healthy and that's what's important.

About the 14%, that's healthy too! I'm saying its below normal (average). Many women with that low of BMI do not have a regular period.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I have actually lost around 10 pounds (never got my period when I had those extra pounds either) and my goal is to lose another 10 to be at my normal weight pre pregnancy #1. I am logging what I eat on myfitnesspal. I get plenty of protein. I eat generally very healthy apart from every other Sunday (we visit grandparents and eat some candy or icecream or cake depending and then Dh and I do a date night and get takeout that Sunday). We generally have salad atleast 2 days a week with lunch or dinner or both. I am currently doing p90x and have been for a month as time allows (had to take a break during that hurricane for a week because no one had power and had to take a short break while Ds and I were sick with a bad cold). Before that I'd been doing a dance workout and did the 30 day shred before that. I take an iron pill for anemia and prenatal vitamins. Overall I'm losing fat and gaining muscle, eating healthier, drinking a ton of water, taking my vitamins. OB told me that I'm very healthy, doing the right thing with workouts and my bmi is within normal range but she doesn't think I have enough fat to store estrogen. That's where I'm so confused.... I had just stopped taking vitex and drinking fertilitea when I O'd in September. I'm kind of thinking that they helped me out to O.
That sounds AWESOME! Good for you, mama. Do you have a body composition scale (like an Ironman)? I just ask because it was/is a hugely motivating factor for me. It sounds like you're doing great, though.

Your Dr's advice does sound confusing. "Good on you for working out, but you don't have enough body fat". ?
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #30
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTWMommy View Post
Check out fertilityfriend.com. I use it and have found it to be super simple. I am a semi-self taught charter and FF has some great video "classes" on charting. The last 4 months of charting have really given me some useful cycle info.

I also second the suggestion to read TCOYF.

Good luck mama!
Great. Thanks!! I'll definitely be checking it this weekend out after the holiday and blackfriday. I'm cooking this year so I don't have time until Saturday to figure out a new website but I'm definitely going to check into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellEBeanDesigns View Post
32% body fat is high
That's why I was trying to get back in shape. Before I was somewhere around20% give or take...I can't remember. But I O'd obviously then. I actually had lost some weight right before Ds was conceived b/c I was working FT and going to college PT and didn't have time to eat. It sounds contradicting that she says that I don't have enough to store/produce estrogen when I know for a fact that my body fat percentage is higher than it should be atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
That sounds AWESOME! Good for you, mama. Do you have a body composition scale (like an Ironman)? I just ask because it was/is a hugely motivating factor for me. It sounds like you're doing great, though.

Your Dr's advice does sound confusing. "Good on you for working out, but you don't have enough body fat". ?
Thanks! I am proud of myself for losing and getting healthy and so is Dh. He is actually trying to be healthier in eating now too by my example though he has no time/energy to exercise with me after 12-16 hour days. lol. I do not...I just have a normal bathroom scale. Just haven't gotten around to a new one yet. Exactly my point! That's why I got on here to ask. I was in a store when she called me and she told me I was thin and normally girls who are as thin as I am don't have enough fat to store /produce estrogen. I told her I was trying to get into shape and I was losing body fat. She acted kind of flustered and asked if I was doing it in a healthy way and I told her what I was doing. She said that it sounded like I was doing things in a healthy way but not to lose too much. I'm 5'4" and weighed 136 last time I was in there. Now I fluctuate between 130-132.

Here's a pic of my tummy from myfitnesspal and how it looks, atm just a tiny tiny bit smaller...though not much. I'm not huge but I'm really not tiny either.

Last edited by Dani_Phen; 04-16-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote