Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I want to be successful this time

I had a very hard time nursing my daughter and never made it past the 12 week mark (and that was a formula supplemented 12 weeks due to a *genuinely* low supply)

Annnyway, my second daughter was born the day before yesterday and she not only latches, but latches beautifully without too much fuss (and my milk has already come in) but I have some questions as this might as well be my first time considering the troubles I had with my 1st little one.

1. My boobs are very engorged and when she nurses, it barely makes a dent in the rock-hard-ness of them. Any "softening" doesn't even last an hour before becoming hard again. Is that normal? Should I be pumping? I don't want to create an over supply, but I sure as heck don't want to make my supply suffer. Do I just tough it out? I don't want to leave a bunch of milk in there and end up with mastitis either.

2. She'll nurse about 15-20 minutes, pull off and try to snooze... until the moment I lay her down, then the rooting starts again. I nurse her again, she eats for a while, repeat. Is she using me as a paci?

3. Although she latches on so nicely (there has only been one time where she pinched one of my nips), she nurses a TON. Sometimes as long as 40-45 minutes. My poor nips are so raw. The initial latch on hurts for about 5-10 seconds, then just a general tender feeling as she suckles. Anyway, I let my chest air out as often as possible and use lanolin. Anything else I can do to help? Ice/cold packs? Any other creams that work great?

I am open ears to any tricks you have to share!

Thanks for any advice, answers to the above, tips, etc...

Advertisement

Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Everything you described is pretty normal. The enforcement will get better once yore supply regulates. Your body has to learn how much to make. Babies this little do most times nurse pretty much constantly. And as far as nipples being sore rub some breast milk on them, lots of lanolin. It will get better, I promise

Sent from my droid
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to be successful this time

The engorgement will get better. I would only pump if you want to build a freezer stash.

My DD nursed a ton for the first 4 weeks and then evened out.

Since your nipples are raw I would suggest getting a LLL memmber or LC to look at your latch. I though DD had a great latch until I ended up with raw nipples and horrible pain. I saw a LC and she helped tweek the latch just a bit and OMG the difference. I went from very painful latch on and pain during nursing to only a slight pain on latch on (because of the raw nipples) and no pain during nursing and within a week healed nipples and no pain at all. I am very glad I didnt' tough it out for weeks like others have suggested. I got in when DD was just a week old. I would havn't have made it weeks.

The LC gave me a nipple shield to wear between feedings so that air got to my nipples and nothing rubbed up against them. They was great. It made healing much better.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Seeing an lc can be super helpful. But I wanted to warn against a nipple shield. They work for some but cause many problems with others. They can be very hard to get rid of once started. I would only use one as a last resort.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
oldmomma
Registered Users

Nursing all the time is pretty normal. Some discomfort is normal but the LLC might help too. I used a nipple shield for other reasons and we weaned off. We have been successfully nursing 14 months.
oldmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't refering to a nipple shield used to nurse. I had a hard plastic cup like thing that I put on my breasts between feedings. I kept my shirt off the nipple and had holes to let air in. I got it from the LC.

It is actually called a breast shell. sorry for the wrong term. I guess my discription wasn't read

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com.../breast-shells
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everything you describe sounds normal to me. Don't worry about the baby using you as a pacifier. She was just born! She is just doing what is natural to her. She is encouraging your supply; that's what she's designed to do. Also, different babies have different personalities. My first nursed for 40 minutes at a time like you describe. My second, only for 10-15 minutes at a time, even in the beginning. The soreness sounds normal to me also. I had that with both, even after nursing for 20 months with the first.

Sounds like you're doing great. Don't overthink it Your supply will even out and everything will become more comfortable, don't worry!!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congratulations on your new squish! You sound right on track to me. The engorgement is normal and so is the constant nursing. Babies are supposed to "use you as a paci" so that's fine unless you don't like it. Nipples are the original paci! And with both of my DDs, my nipples took a beating in the first two weeks, then they were good after the crusties went away.

I wouldn't worry about mastitis unless you get a clog you can't clear and the milk is stuck for a long time. As long as the milk is flowing then the engorgement isn't bad per se, just uncomfortable.

I think it always helps with success if you know where to set your expectations. Just keep in mind, the first 2-4 months are the hardest. Like breastfeeding boot camp. When your supply regulates and your baby gains experience, you will find your stride.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
kdzb243
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations! I think most things have been covered, but if you are in any pain at all, please see a LC to help you correct her latch. Breastfeeding shouldn't be painful. Let her nurse whenever she wants, especially these early weeks as your supply is regulating. Remember that pacifiers are boob-substitutes, and nursing for comfort is just as important as nursing for nutrition. I'd recommend that you find a LLL or similar breastfeeding support group near you for the encouragement and support that they can provide. Sometimes it's just nice to know that other mamas are going through the same things and hear how they survived and were able to meet their goals. Hang in there, mama! You can meet your goals too, just take it one day at a time!
kdzb243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all very much! She really is a great little nurser which I'm so grateful for - These are all "problems" I'm glad to have since I didn't have them with DD1 (and subsequently stopped trying around 12 weeks with her).

I appreciate all of the input!
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote