Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help with turkey

Oh, one mama on here uses a slat water brine on her turkey.
I've always wanted to try that.

Advertisement

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I've tried two turkey 'recipes' that I really like. The first is Alton brown's: you brine the turkey overnight, start it at a very high temp in the oven then turn the oven down a bit to get it to temp. The brine really acts as some insurance to make sure you don't dry out the meat. However, if you have a butterball brand or something similar it's likely already injected with a brine solution. The other thing I've done that is tasty is make an herbed butter mixture and push it under the skin of the bird. Neither of these cooking methods uses a bag or requires basting.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm trying Martha Stewart's method with butter soaked cheesecloth covering the breast until the last hour or so. She adds white wine but I'm not sure if I want to yet. Has anyone tried that before? Oh and OP please remove the innards, I forgot once and it was not cute
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done at 3
I'm trying Martha Stewart's method with butter soaked cheesecloth covering the breast until the last hour or so. She adds white wine but I'm not sure if I want to yet. Has anyone tried that before? Oh and OP please remove the innards, I forgot once and it was not cute
What happened when you forgot to remove them?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda

What happened when you forgot to remove them?
It was all mushy and made the stuffing gross. I imagine if you didn't stuff lt maybe it wouldn't have been as bad but of course there was the embarrassment of my family laughing at me for not taking it out
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pulling the innards out is the grossest part of dealing with turkey. I'm not a big fan of dealing with raw meats and chicken juice tends to make my hands itchy.

I'm also doing my first whole Thanksgiving spread this year, so you aren't alone. I'm following a recipe for the turkey from a magazine and inventing my own stuffing.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some of you go to a lot more work with the turkey than I do. Turkey is one of the easiest things to make. Thaw it. Pull the neck and giblets out (definitely the grossest part - the first couple times I did a turkey I made dh grab them). I then put it in a pan and cover with foil. I put it in the oven on 300 for around 6-7 hours. There is a white plastic pop up thermometer thing in the turkey - if its popped up your turkey is done. I don't baste it or put anything on the turkey and it tastes wonderful everytime with no work from me.

With having a bag you can just put it in the bag and seal up the bag and put it in the oven and forget it. The juices off the turkey will keep itself moist when its sealed up good.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
Oh, one mama on here uses a slat water brine on her turkey.
I've always wanted to try that.
We always brine with Alton Brown's recipe, and everyone loves our turkey, but it is a lot of work, and like a PP said, if you have a turkey that is already brined it would taste way too salty. OP, if I were you I would go to Walmart and buy a cheap meat thermometer. We never go by the button b/c they are unreliable, and you can end up with either an undercooked or overcooked turkey. DH is always the one to cook it, and it always turns out perfectly, so I can ask him how exactly how he cooks it if you want me to.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 11-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First time cooking the Thanksgiving turkey here too. My family does a Thanksgiving potlock and the turkey torch has now been passed to me. I was so nervous about cooking a turkey for a group of 20 that I cooked a tester turkey a few weeks ago. I did a modified Alton Brown recipie because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. It came out great and I'm not a huge fan of turkey. The whole process wasn't nearly as intimidating after having accomplished one complete bird. I learned a few things.

If you're going to brine the turkey, do it now so that it sits overnight. Salt, water, and maybe a little sugar is the most important part of the brine. The extras...are extra. Don't forget to wash the brine water off. Timing is important with a giant bird. Be aware of the time you want to served food and count backwards with the number of hours needed to cook the turkey. Pad that with an hour. For instance, dinner is served at 3pm in my family. With a 20 pound turkey, I ought to put the turkey in the oven around 8am, no later than 9am. Use a meat thermometer, even a cheapie one, so that you don't overcook the turkey, or worse, undercook it. Oven bags are wonderful. Don't carve the turkey immediately after taking it out of the oven. Let it sit for 15-20 mintues.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

The bag makes it really easy, take out the neck and giblets and follow the directions that came with the bag. I always have a nice brown skin with the bag and it stay nice and moist on the inside. Most turkeys have a button that pops out when it is done so you really don't need a thermometer. You can also check it by piercing the thigh and if the juices are clear it's good.
It's not really that hard, I cooked my first complete Thanksgiving by myself when I was 17 and it was all good.