Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
Angry birds has an IRL game. Stack the blocks in the way they are seen on the card, put the pigs there, use a provided, little slingshot and stuffed birds. Totally getting it if my son asks when he's older. Haha

I get it, I do. Kids just have quicker means to being exposed to things. We live in a world where things are passed along from around the world in an instant. But that doesn't negate the foundations we set. Don't worry mama

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
moms5angels's Avatar
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,919
My Mood:
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
LOL. I agree!!!!

Personally, this is why I "shelter" my poor, deprived kids and they don't attend public school or daycare.

They can play at the park or museum under my direct supervision, or in the backyard, or with kids who I know.

B/c of exactly this reason. I *want* them to be different. And innocent.

( I know not every family has this option. Not looking for a debate. )
same here
__________________
I'm a proud sahm mom 4boys & 1girlWife to my Dh Were a, erf, hs, loving family. enjoying our jurney in life!
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
*KaiMom*'s Avatar
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where everything is bigger...Texas BABY!
Posts: 3,902
My Mood:
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
LOL. I agree!!!!

Personally, this is why I "shelter" my poor, deprived kids and they don't attend public school or daycare.

They can play at the park or museum under my direct supervision, or in the backyard, or with kids who I know.

B/c of exactly this reason. I *want* them to be different. And innocent.

( I know not every family has this option. Not looking for a debate. )
Same here. I also screen my kids friends pretty closely. DS2 watched something pretty scary at a friends one time and we had to put an end to going over to their house.
__________________
Amanda hopelessly in love with my US Marine and three little men 12, 7.5 and 4 years<--what! When did that happen?
*KaiMom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
moms5angels's Avatar
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,919
My Mood:
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Same here. I also screen my kids friends pretty closely. DS2 watched something pretty scary at a friends one time and we had to put an end to going over to their house.
i do the same too! so nice to see ppl do the same things i do! alot of ppl think im werd.
__________________
I'm a proud sahm mom 4boys & 1girlWife to my Dh Were a, erf, hs, loving family. enjoying our jurney in life!
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Same here. I also screen my kids friends pretty closely. DS2 watched something pretty scary at a friends one time and we had to put an end to going over to their house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5angels View Post
i do the same too! so nice to see ppl do the same things i do! alot of ppl think im werd.
add me to this list!

If I think a kid has a nasty attitude, we avoid them. If it's bad enough (which has only happened once), I don't allow my kids to associate with them.

People rub off on other people. So you should keep friends that you want to be like, b/c you will inevitably become like them in SOME ways. Same is true for kids. And I keep a strict eye on it b/c I want my kids to be a certain way. So their associates are chosen carefully, and restricted to those we approve of.

It is the same with entertainment. We either screen it before they see it if it is questionable, we watch it with them if we think it's probably okay, or there are a select handful of shows they are allowed to watch without us in the room (Curious George, Pinky Dinky Doo, etc) but we are always within earshot, or we already have seen it/know it is safe.

We are very selective about what gets into their brains. Can't stop everything, obviously, but what we CAN control, we do. And I don't feel one bit bad about it at all.

Obviously, as they age, and life goes on, they will have (and NEED) opportunities to select their own friends and their own entertainment. But the hope is that all of the training they are getting now on choosing good friends and good entertainment will stick with them and they will make good choices as a result.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
moms5angels's Avatar
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,919
My Mood:
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
add me to this list!

If I think a kid has a nasty attitude, we avoid them. If it's bad enough (which has only happened once), I don't allow my kids to associate with them.

People rub off on other people. So you should keep friends that you want to be like, b/c you will inevitably become like them in SOME ways. Same is true for kids. And I keep a strict eye on it b/c I want my kids to be a certain way. So their associates are chosen carefully, and restricted to those we approve of.

It is the same with entertainment. We either screen it before they see it if it is questionable, we watch it with them if we think it's probably okay, or there are a select handful of shows they are allowed to watch without us in the room (Curious George, Pinky Dinky Doo, etc) but we are always within earshot, or we already have seen it/know it is safe.

We are very selective about what gets into their brains. Can't stop everything, obviously, but what we CAN control, we do. And I don't feel one bit bad about it at all.

Obviously, as they age, and life goes on, they will have (and NEED) opportunities to select their own friends and their own entertainment. But the hope is that all of the training they are getting now on choosing good friends and good entertainment will stick with them and they will make good choices as a result.
r u my lost sister? i do the same things & never hear the end of it from some ppl.
__________________
I'm a proud sahm mom 4boys & 1girlWife to my Dh Were a, erf, hs, loving family. enjoying our jurney in life!
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Terra's Avatar
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 12,302
My Mood:
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
I'd like to offer some perspective, although I wholeheartedly agree. When I was a very little kid, it was really cool to have a transistor radio. It operated on batteries and was totally portable. I carried it around everywhere. The number one song on the radio (I assume it was anyway) was Hot Stuff by Donna Summer. I walked around singing it much to my mom's dismay.

I shelter my daughter from media because of the insidious cradle to grave marketing that pervades everything. Sex and violence is actually a secondary concern of mine, although I do address it when necessary.
You are so dating yourself, and I say that with love because I too did that! I'm 41

I like your post too and agree.

Both of my boys go to public/charter schools and daycare. Yes it exposes them to things and yeah we don't have a choice, and honestly, even if we did I don't think I'd want to keep them home anymore. While I do shelter from certain things [we have no gaming system, we don't listen to "popular" radio. I force them to listen to NPR! lol], I also let them experience other real life things. I know growing up I did. And I can say for myself, it helped to create my worldview and enabled me to see a lot of things that I otherwise would not have.
__________________
Terra: Independent woman, wife to Eric , mother to David & Aaron
Deeply spiritual, follower of Christ, connnected to my Native American spiritual roots. Over-thinker on life!
http://myownblueplanet.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
This is part of the reason we home school.


But....

My kids are totally dancing to oppa gangnam style right now in our living room!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
This is part of the reason we home school.


But....

My kids are totally dancing to oppa gangnam style right now in our living room!
Yeah, we shelter to a degree and homeschooling takes care of a big part of that....but my 21 month old said Heeeeey, sexy lady! the other day with his leg stuck out to the side. I don't have a problem with the song because it is fun, not raunchy and my kids think sexy just means pretty.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
SaraElise's Avatar
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,446
My Mood:
Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

As a kid we were exposed to plenty of things my parents didn't really like through friends, family members, or just commercials on the radio or when we watched some tv. The difference was in what we were allowed to do/wear/have/listen to/watch. It was often a good starting point for a lesson on WHY those things were not in our house.

I'm glad I was exposed to "normal" things as a kid, but that my parents had the sense to instill good values in me from an early age so I didn't have to figure it all out on my own later. We've taken a similar approach with our kids so far.

We can't protect them from everything, but we can teach them why we do what we do.

My husband and his brother taught their youngest brother (16 and 18 years younger than them) to say "sexy" as one of his first words. Their mother was mortified, but he's turned out to be a polite well adjusted kid anyway
__________________
Hi I'm Sara mommy to 4 little Mischief Makers
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.