Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #21
No Longer Here
My Mood:
Re: Buyer received empty package

Originally Posted by Kimmyboo View Post
If the buyer didn't purchase insurance, it is not the seller's fault. When I invoice people, I write that insurance is extra and I'm not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items once it leaves my hands, if insurance is not purchased.
This is False, sorry to tell you but insurance is the sellers responsibility not the buyers. Also disclaimers have zero leg to stand on when paypal is used for payments, all sellers must abide by paypal rules which means, the seller is responsible for getting a package to the buyer safely.
Originally Posted by Lanae View Post
This is not true. The insurance protests the seller NOT the buyer.

Originally Posted by misskira View Post
No and no. Insurance is 100% on the seller and for the protection of the sender. It doesnt matter what kind of disclaimer you use or if you offer insurance and it was turned down. Op owes the buyer a full refund, unfortunately.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #22
My Mood:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade7503

It protects both. Nobody wants anyone to lose items, or money. OP, did you offer insurance? If they turned it down, then in my opinion, they took a risk and lost. If you did not think to offer it, I feel like the burden is more on you. I would talk to the PO, and then if the items are not located reimburse your customer.

I always ship in boxes.

Also, about the gift cards- the post office uses these automatic sort machines. Something like a gift card can get stuck in it and the envelope tears. Cards much smaller than their envelopes can also do this, as well as any other small items. I ordered a book mark off of etsy and the seller kept sending it in a bill envelope. I kept getting empty envelopes.
Nope. If the package doesn't make it, items are lost or they are damaged, the seller ALWAYS has to refund if it was a PayPal transaction. It doesn't matter if insurance is there. The buyer WILL get a refund regardless, if they open a claim. Insurance is to reimburse the seller, if they are forced to give a refund.

And as a PP said, there are no disclaimers. It doesn't matter what you say. Your rules aren't PayPal's, and theirs are all that count. If you rely on your own, you're in for a rude awakening.

Sorry OP, that you're in this spot. I would ask for a picture and then refund on my own if they provide one of the note and package. If they don't, you can leave it up to claims, and they'll have to at least show them proof. Sorry mama!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-27-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
Registered Users

Originally Posted by essential1892 View Post
This happened to me on ebay- I sold a $60 gift card and the buyer received an empty envelope with a note from the post office. She sent me a picture of the box and I refunded her all of her money. I am now out all of that money and there is nothing I can do about it. I honestly cannot stand the USPS and if UPS was cheaper I would ship through them.
Honestly, this screams "buyer scam" all over.

I'm one of those who believes that postal theft is rare enough that I would sooner believe that the buyer is conning you. And if you sent the GC in a box, as you say, it's even more far-fetched. There have been countless cases of buyers scamming sellers over gift cards on eBay. I'd notify eBay so they have it on record that this buyer has claimed to not have received a gift card, in case he/she does it repeatedly.

The postal note that the buyer "took of photo of" could easily be a fake one (if he's a professional scam artist) or he could be re-using an old note that he's kept over the years, over and over.
Ellen, part-time freelancing SAHM to Diane('06), Ryan('08), Darren('10); wife to the best man in the world, Jake.
Trade with me - I have and need LOTS:

Last edited by expaik; 11-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:
If you write down the card serial number prior to shipping, is it possible to have that card deactivated if it gets lost/stolen during transit?
- Addie -
Wife to
Mama to (3/07) and (2/10) and our bonus blessing (3/12)
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'd say ask for photos. Then give a refund. Then call the PO it was last at and see if it can be found. You have the photos if needed for the PO.
It may end up being a loss for you but your customer will trust you and be willing to do business with you again and tell her friends the same.
Sabrina - Momma to DS 10/09 and DD 8/11
Faithsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll
If you write down the card serial number prior to shipping, is it possible to have that card deactivated if it gets lost/stolen during transit?
Friend on the card. It should say on the back of the card most you can report stolen at least. I would definitely wrote down the info and the number for the future
Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote