Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
math help

My dd is eleven. She would be in fifth grade in a regular school. She is an excellent reader, loves history and languages, is learning Latin, asl, dives right in to everything I give her....... Except math! She cries over math. She absolutely hates it. Last year we didn't do any curriculum. Basically unschooled. I still unschool except for math. We are doing Calvert. She is in a third grade book about halfway through. I try to make it fun but I am starting to worry. I told get that she has to get her multiplication and division facts down pat before we go back to fractions. She HAS to know them. I try games, cards, worksheets, some days I'm pulling my hair out. Please help

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Re: math help

I can really sympathize because I struggled in math at her age--and continued to until literally the last time I took algebra, my second time in college, at age 33.

For me, ADD is a factor. But what made the difference for me the last time was that I was allowed to use notes when taking tests. I could write down formulas and example problems and refer to them. And when that small change was made I went from total failure to getting an A in the class, which is nothing short of amazing for someone like me. I felt like I finally won! LOL. So lots of notes and examples is my suggestion--let her figure out the way to do problems that works for her, and if looking at an example works best let her do that, at least for now. Memorizing was hard for me too. Keep at it with the flash cards, but keep the chart handy also. It took me a really long time to be able to remember the entire times tables. Have you thought about having educational testing for dyslexia or learning difficulties? Public school would offer those services even if you homeschool, in most cases. Also consider a tutor. One on one with someone experienced is a big help.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne_josh View Post
I can really sympathize because I struggled in math at her age--and continued to until literally the last time I took algebra, my second time in college, at age 33.

For me, ADD is a factor. But what made the difference for me the last time was that I was allowed to use notes when taking tests. I could write down formulas and example problems and refer to them. And when that small change was made I went from total failure to getting an A in the class, which is nothing short of amazing for someone like me. I felt like I finally won! LOL. So lots of notes and examples is my suggestion--let her figure out the way to do problems that works for her, and if looking at an example works best let her do that, at least for now. Memorizing was hard for me too. Keep at it with the flash cards, but keep the chart handy also. It took me a really long time to be able to remember the entire times tables. Have you thought about having educational testing for dyslexia or learning difficulties? Public school would offer those services even if you homeschool, in most cases. Also consider a tutor. One on one with someone experienced is a big help.
well, I can't really afford a tutor; however at our homeschool group there is a mom who offered to tutor math during her free class period. I think I'll contact her and see if she wouldn't mind helping me out. I don't generally "test" her so that isn't an issue. I do let her use extra paper to doodle the math problems. She's very visual. Maybe I should just stop pressuring her. I have no problem unschooling but this year I started forcing her to do more math; mostly because her third grader sister is in a private school now and I don't want my oldest to get behind in math. I know silly huh? I never had a problem with her going at her own pace before and suddenly I want her to "catch up" Honestly I will be happy if she can do the four basics plus money skills, measuring, simple fractions and decimals. If we never get to algebra I won't cry over it. I just want her to "get it"

No I haven't tested her for learning disabilities because she excels in everything else. I keep thinking it must be me failing her
Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ODS struggles in math. His issue is that he has a processing disorder (very slow processor) along with dyscalculia. He is going to be 13 in January and is in 7th grade and STILL doesn't have his multiplication and division facts "down pat."

Some ideas:

-Dianne Craft is great to look up for math issues. I especially like her memorization ideas. She suggests making 5 fact cards and putting them up above eye level directly across from the area where your DC typically works. For example, 4 X 12 = 48 on a card. We are decorating the cards and making them more interesting to look at. It appeals to my DC's right brains.

-We used Life of Fred books for review of things he's learned over the last 2 years to really help him understand and give him more practice. We've just finished Life of Fred Fractions.

-Math-U-See is amazing. The manipulatives really help him understand the different concepts. The other day he needed to figure out 2/3 of 18. He couldn't do it. We pulled out the manipulatives and it made sense to him!

I hope this helps you out! Good luck!!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ODS struggles in math. His issue is that he has a processing disorder (very slow processor) along with dyscalculia. He is going to be 13 in January and is in 7th grade and STILL doesn't have his multiplication and division facts "down pat."

Some ideas:

-Dianne Craft is great to look up for math issues. I especially like her memorization ideas. She suggests making 5 fact cards and putting them up above eye level directly across from the area where your DC typically works. For example, 4 X 12 = 48 on a card. We are decorating the cards and making them more interesting to look at. It appeals to my DC's right brains.

-We used Life of Fred books for review of things he's learned over the last 2 years to really help him understand and give him more practice. We've just finished Life of Fred Fractions.

-Math-U-See is amazing. The manipulatives really help him understand the different concepts. The other day he needed to figure out 2/3 of 18. He couldn't do it. We pulled out the manipulatives and it made sense to him!

-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26 View Post
Some ideas:

I second all of these things! Diane Craft has been a speaker at my homeschool conference twice and she is amazing! We also use Math-U-See and it is working pretty good for us, although we haven't reached multiplication yet. And, I have homeschool friends who have used Life of Fred and had great success with it. Hope maybe one or all of these things can help your daughter.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
No I haven't tested her for learning disabilities because she excels in everything else. I keep thinking it must be me failing her
I don't think that's necessarily the case. I excelled in everything but math and got 1350 on the SAT's, and I still needed help in math--had nothing to do with my parents. And actually not that much to do with my teachers, I just wasn't set up to learn it well, ykwim?

Last edited by anne_josh; 11-22-2012 at 08:29 AM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Look into RightStart math. It is amazing. I cannot say enough good things about it. My boys are getting math. They don't need to memorize because it actually teaches how math works.
My unsupportive SIL called this morning when I was putting the baby down and she started quizing my 8 year old on his multipilcation. She told me when I got on the phone that she had asked him what 4x3, 5x6, 6x6, and 8x7 were and he knew them all. I thought that was so funny. Maybe now she won't be so unsupportive.
Find a math to fit her learning style.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My MIL is a math tutor at the middle school/high school level. She says that if needed, let the child use a flashcard with the facts on it. It takes the stress out of doing math so that the child can relax and learn. Eventually, they will know the facts. What is more important is that she understand the concepts.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote