Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Show me your favorite learning toys, games, etc. Grandma needs christmas presents!!

Title says it all . My kids are 7, 5, 3, and 18 months. Mostly for my older two of course. One is 1st and the other is pre-k.

Thank you so much for any ideas you might share!

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
MommyMarshall
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Show me your favorite learning toys, games, etc. Grandma needs christmas present

I'm interested to hear suggestions too

Here are some of our favorites:

Structures & Contraptions by MindWare
I'm planning on getting these for my boys this year, so I can't tell you that they love them, but I'm feeling pretty confident that they will.

Imaginets
My 2 year old and 4 year old love these! My 6 year old likes them, but not as much as the younger two.
MommyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Show me your favorite learning toys, games, etc. Grandma needs christmas present

I've always wanted to get Wedgits for my kids. They have them at our doctor's office, and they're a great toy!

We also have something like this:

Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks & Boards

We also have this, a set of Unifix cubes. They're good for playing and for learning:

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mama_to_DJM; 11-22-2012 at 11:28 AM.
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Pattern blocks

Board games -- You would be amazed at what they can learn from all sorts of games. Some of our favorites for that age would be Sequence (we just got the regular, but they have different versions), dominos, various games from GameWright, Professor Noggin games, Guess Who, Battleship, Clue, Monopoly, Rack-O, and more. I can't think of more right now, but just about all games can count because they learn strategy, problem solving, money, etc, depending on the game. I also don't get wrapped up in the age range it says on the box. My kids start playing games with help before the age on the box and then play on their own by the time they get to the age listed on the box.

MindWare has a lot of cool stuff. My kids really enjoyed the marble run we had from then, plus we've had several of their activity books over the years.

A microscope would be fun. We haven't actually gotten one of these yet, but they love looking through them when we go to museums.

Legos and K'Nex. These are two of the biggest learning tools we have. Yes, we have some sets of Legos, but mostly we just have a huge tub of them (think large storage tub). The K'Nex we keep separate, though.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love the leapfrog videos the girls get to watch one on laundry day.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
InBloomDoula
Registered Users
seller

http://www.playathomemom3.blogspot.c...-age-four.html you might enjoy this blog while searching for toy ideas. She lists the educational toys that she puts her BTDT stamp of approval on. It currently has ages NB-4yo but I'm sure that will grow as her little ones do too.

Last edited by InBloomDoula; 11-26-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
InBloomDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a globe would be awesome. I'd really love "santa" to bring on to our boys.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have them, but I've heard amazing things about these. If you look them up on Amazon, you'll find that they have the highest rating with well over 200 reviews. Pretty impressive if you ask me. They seem expensive, but I think I'm going to buy them for my kids as a collective gift.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...02325806~~.jsp
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Just ordered Magna-Tiles for my older ds for Christmas. I am watching this thread for suggestions for my almost 2 year old...
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
Just ordered Magna-Tiles for my older ds for Christmas. I am watching this thread for suggestions for my almost 2 year old...
Where did you order them from? I'm looking for the best deal.