Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: Flats/prefolds aren't working out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
When she's in cloth I have to change every 45 min to an hour bc she hates being wet. Even in the sposies as soon as she wets or poops she demands to be changed immediately. I just wish I could get two hours between changes during the day so I can get something done other than diaper duty lol. Now she's also sleeping six hours at night now but sometimes she gets up for a change, feeds for a few minutes to soothe herself and then she goes back down but we've been leaks.
This was the same with my son when I tried using fitted or prefolds in a cover. He really needed the stay dry and would howl and get very upset at being wet. Seemed like I never got any sleep or anything done as always changing diapers and soothing him. It will get better. It will.

You've got some great suggestions here if you're needing more covers and want to stay with prefolds. The sale suggestions, especially are helpful.

I think the quickest, cheapest thing to do right now would be to get a cheap microfleece blanket from the store and cut it to make stay dry liners as fleece won't fray and that may help things enough that you can stay with the prefolds. Even if you decide to sell off the prefolds and covers, the fleece liners will be handy to use with other diapers to protect from cream.

I ended up selling most of my covers and switching to pocket diapers with suede cloth, keeping my prefolds to use as inserts and doublers, as my son is a super soaker. If you want to try a few pockets, this weekend would be the best time to get them with the sales on, and you could even look for something with double gussets and stay-dry.

I would also recommend using bleach with every wash because of the yeast (soounds like you are already) and probiotic drops (you can express a little milk into a bottle or use a syringe if you want to avoid a bottle, but the yeast will probably NOT clear unless you use probiotics). I use BioGaia and they are excellent.

Advertisement

kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I'm considering some of the bg free times bc they're on sale for overnight at least. originally went with what i had bc they seemed more economical and easier to wash. I just have a regular top loader. Does anyway have any ideas? Thanks.
I have some Freetimes and they do dry fast but they are very expensive, even with the sale, and I can't say I would recommend them for runny breast-fed poo in terms of ease of cleanup.

Edited to add: The regular top loader is great! It's the FL HE washers that are trickier when it comes to microfiber. I originally had pocket diapers with microfiber (came with them) and now I'm looking at getting rid of all my microfiber as it is hard to keep from getting stinky. I am glad I kept my prefolds and also glad I didn't get too many Freetimes ( I just bought some Nana's Bottoms AIOs with Bamboo fleece inside and microfleece or suedecloth on top as she is having a Black Fri sale- code "bfsale").

Just wanted to let you know that 8 months into cloth diapering, I am not liking microfiber like I used to at first, so watch out for that and maybe hold onto your prefolds if you can.

Last edited by kirst; 11-23-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wanted to add
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah it looks like the free times are a little steep for me right now even on sale. I only have $30 to spend. I never thought about just buying a cheap microfiber blanket. That's a great idea. I'm going to check dollar general today. I was going to try and by some at Joanne's but this is way easier and cheap for me bc I live in the country and stores are all over thirty minutes away except for Walmart. I'm a little afraid of stinky microfiber though. How much bleach should I put in the wash? I can't stand the smell. Also I looked at the alvas website but it was confusing. Which ones are pocket diapers?
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
janeen0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds & covers didn't work for me, either. I did what has been suggested -- I cut up a micro fleece blanket I already had. That didn't really do it, either, so I bought a few fuzzibunz here on the FSOT. I loved them, she loved them, so I bought more and never looked back. There are lots of other diapers with a stay- dry micro fleece liner to choose from, though.

I kept my prefolds and have used them as stuffing along with the MF that came with them. If you go this route, be sure to keep the micro fleece liners you make. I used them any time dd had a rash so that I could put cream on her and keep it off the diapers.

Speaking of rash, she had a persistent yeast rash once. Her doctor told me to buy some monistat and use it. I did. Problem solved overnight.
Cloth diapering our new little bundle

Last edited by janeen0225; 11-23-2012 at 02:05 PM.
janeen0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeen0225
Prefolds & covers didn't work for me, either. I did what has been suggested -- I cut up a micro fleece blanket I already had. That didn't really do it, either, so I bought a few fuzzibunz here on the FSOT. I loved them, she loved them, so I bought more and never looked back. There are lots of other diapers with a stay- dry micro fleece liner to choose from, though.

I kept my prefolds and have used them as stuffing along with the MF that came with them. If you go this route, be sure to keep the micro fleece liners you make. I used them any time dd had a rash so that I could put cream on her and keep it off the diapers.

Speaking of rash, she had a persistent yeast rash once. Her doctor told me to buy some monistat and use it. I did. Problem solved overnight.
Do you wash your mf and cotton together?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
janeen0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Do you wash your mf and cotton together?
Oh yes. Always.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeen0225

Oh yes. Always.
What type of detergent do you use? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
janeen0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
What type of detergent do you use? Thanks.
I use the Costco brand free & clear. It's what I was using before I had diapers to wash, and I haven't had any problem with it.

Really, I don't think either MF or cotton needs to be handled delicately. I use a wash routine similar to that which someone else posted here really recently... Basically, treat them as though they are really dirty clothes. I do make sure I rinse really well. I don't use chlorine bleach.

Last edited by janeen0225; 11-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
ktgrok
Registered Users
seller

Nicki's diapers has imagine pockets and imagine all in ones on sale, and the pockets are free shipping.
ktgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Okay so today I'm trying an old snap converted 3.0 stuffed with a homemade blanket weight flannel flat. We'll see how this works. Yesterday I used some homemade fleece covers with some homemade stay dry fitteds. I tried to talk my grandmother into making more of these because I only have four of each but she said they're too much work. Maybe I can get her to show me how to make one and then I can slowly increase my stash this way. When I tried using just a prefold when I ran out of fitteds my LO got an instant diaper rash and she wouldn't sleep because she was wet so we used sposies for night time. What are the BG out shells made of? The don't feel like plastic like my covers.