Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Alva and sunbaby make cheap pockets that you could stuff with your prefolds or flats too if pockets are what work for you best.

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats/prefolds aren't working out

Admittedly I scanned the thread quickly, but it sounds like you said the stay-dry fleece liner made her rash worse? And PFs aren't absorbent enough?

I recommend trying covers made from fleece or wool, they will get more air circulation through the diaper area. I saw you wrote you have four, how are they working out? I saw a WAHM on Etsy is having a big clearance sale on fleece so maybe that's a way to inexpensively acquire more fleece http://www.etsy.com/shop/MadeOfFleece

The other suggestion I was going to make is that you might need to add extra absorbency to the flats/PFs you are using. Do you have any cotton terry washcloths -- they'd be a good choice for now if you are low on funds. Extra absorbency means that there won't be a super soggy diaper against your LOs skin. I've noticed that my son's skin is more sensitive to the wetness of a super soggy diaper than a damp diaper.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
Okay so today I'm trying an old snap converted 3.0 stuffed with a homemade blanket weight flannel flat. We'll see how this works. Yesterday I used some homemade fleece covers with some homemade stay dry fitteds. I tried to talk my grandmother into making more of these because I only have four of each but she said they're too much work. Maybe I can get her to show me how to make one and then I can slowly increase my stash this way. When I tried using just a prefold when I ran out of fitteds my LO got an instant diaper rash and she wouldn't sleep because she was wet so we used sposies for night time. What are the BG out shells made of? The don't feel like plastic like my covers.
This is exactly what my son had to wear from about 3-4 months old until after he turned 2. His skin was easily irritated by wetness and PUL covers didn't breathe well enough.

For the record, all the mainstream covers and pockets are made from PUL or TPU, neither of which breathe as well as fleece or wool. Your cheapest option is to make your own, otherwise WAHMs offer stay-dry fitteds (usually as custom order) and fleece/wool covers. I love Imse Vimse wool wraps, but they are $$$$$$ The only "mainstream" fleece covers that I can think of, off the top of my head, are Stacinator and Sugar Peas -- both come in fleece or wool and are side-snaps.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Bumping to see what is working for you mama?
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
How often are you changing? I prefer snappi'd prefolds. I very rarely had ebf poop escape with snappis. What size prefolds are you using?
I gaveup on prefolds because the onesi had were smartfit but they werent wide enough. My smalls werethe side width as the nb except longer. Now im just using mainly flats and a few fitteds.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: Flats/prefolds aren't working out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
There are great suggestions here. But just wanted to add, if you get the microfiber inserts from Cottonbabies, don't put them right against baby's skin.

My suggestion is to call or email Green Mountain Diapers, for suggestions on augmenting your current stash. Karen is amazing.

You can keep using your prefolds, laid inside those Flip type covers. Gmd has fleece liners, and fleece topped hemp doublers, that are of an extremely hypoallergenic fleece. A lot of fleece has a lot of irritating chemicals in it. Green Mountain only sells things that are well proven, and economical, and they give incredible advice.

Still, frequent changes may be the way to avoid rashes. Even stay dry tops don't guarantee dry skin. The moisture can come back through, and the whole situation is humid. Stay dry fabrics also don't absorb quickly, so if she's a fast wetter you may still have leaks.

In our experience, it was plain old cotton birds eye flats (GMd) that kept his skin driest. But he still demanded a diaper change the minute he was wet.

So sorry you're having such a hard time, that is a challenging situation.
I actually have a dozen gmd flats ive been using. I like hiw they absorbe the wetness evenly but i still change frequently. My grandmother mailed my some microfleece liners but they dont seem to make much of a difference with the rash. They do however keep the baby happier so they must keep her drier. Im going to change detergents next and see what happens.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama, just another suggestion to keep the LO dry- have you tried taking her to the potty when you sense that she's gonna go? I started doing EC with my DS3 and he was staying dry for like 5 hours at night. Had to take a break since the whole family was sick last week but while I was pottying him, it saved me a lot of poopy diapers- seriously awesome, especially since he goes four/five days between poops (4 months, EBF) and there is no diaper that I know of that can hold that much poop! Check out The EC forum for more suggestions. Eventually you will use less diapers and do less laundry-yay! Hope things are better, mama!

ETA: no matter what you choose to do, you're still an awesome mama for all you do for your babe!

Last edited by strongwoman; 12-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyNurseMommy View Post
Bumping to see what is working for you mama?
Thanksfor the bump. I had forgoten about this tread. My lo diaper rash/heavy wetting problem is still a work in progress. Ive been using mainly flats with microfleece liners and fleece or flip covers. Althoughshes really too big fir the fleece covers now and i dont like how the flips are so tight in the back but still gap in the front.theyreleaving red marks on her. Ive loosened them up and now theyre leaking but i feel bad about the marks . My grandmother is visuting next week for an early Christmas and sges supposed to shoe me how to make a fleece cover so i can make a handful of the next size up. Im thinking about getting a wool soaker but i cant really spend a lot of money yet i dont know how to use a sewing machine very well buti was thinking maybe i could just make one by hand at home and lanolize it and see if I like it before i waste money I would have to try and resell . I'm also going tobuy some different laundry detergent tomorrow and see if that helps. LOis ebf and ped thinks it might me another food allergy causing alot of the rash so im going to cut out soy and peanuts and seewhat happens. Im already dairy free but ive
been stillbeen eating a little soy and alot of peanut butter
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #29
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongwoman View Post
Hey mama, just another suggestion to keep the LO dry- have you tried taking her to the potty when you sense that she's gonna go? I started doing EC with my DS3 and he was staying dry for like 5 hours at night. Had to take a break since the whole family was sick last week but while I was pottying him, it saved me a lot of poopy diapers- seriously awesome, especially since he goes four/five days between poops (4 months, EBF) and there is no diaper that I know of that can hold that much poop! Check out The EC forum for more suggestions. Eventually you will use less diapers and do less laundry-yay! Hope things are better, mama!
I like the idea of ec but ive been afraid to try it but i think i should. Sometimes when im rinsing her bottom at the sink she poos so i think I could get her to go. Luckily shes stopped going as often. She was going every change but now its only a few times a day. My lo is 3 months ebf but shes been straining alot lately when she poops or atleast it seems like it. Shes funny and likes to do her big poopies in a clean non wet diaper so maybe ec would be the way to go. I saw a book online about it that i wasgoing to order at the library and see what its all about thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #30
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worry about you mentioning that fleece made things worst. I hope things are working out.

I just wanted to throw out that babies that can't stand to be wet are great candidate for elimination communication (EC). It's best to start in the first 6 months and just start offering the potty! There is a forum here and lots of info on the web.

I really like the book: The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative Christine Gross-Loh
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0061229709

It's really open on doing part time EC and starting at any age.

There is also good info in this one, but it's a bit preachy (get the feeling that you must start day 1 and do full time) but if you get passed that it has good info Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene by Ingrid Bauer
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 12-08-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote