Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Best cover?

I am planning to cloth diaper my new (one the way baby) once the umbilical stump falls off.

I would prefer to pad fold flats & prefolds in a PUL cover.

Is that possible with EBF poop?!

What covers work best? (I prefer aplix)

Do you all prefer sized prefolds?
What about flats?

I am looking at ODC terry flats or sbish but they are pricey so maybe I can make them. Also I have bummis prefolds but they are HuGE! I am not wanting to snappi them so they don't need to be huge. Just pad fold!

Advertisement

crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
blueberriis
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best cover?

I found that the best cover really depends on the size/shape of your baby. I bought lots of Flips when my son was born (because of the raving reviews), but they never really fit him nicely. He has VERY little fat. I now use Best Bottoms for him.

For containment of EBF poo, it seems like the fold mattered. Sometimes I could catch them all in the Gerber, but sometimes I'm not so lucky, haha.

I'm going to test out flats soon once my shipment comes in. I have been using the cheap-o Gerber prefolds snappi'd and the Thirsties Hemp Duo tri-folded. The Thirsties are very absorbant, but I preferred these in a pocket. The Gerber are not the best, but they work.

My advice is to buy a little bit of all different prefolds, flats, and covers (secondhand if you can). You never know what will be the best fit for your baby.
blueberriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
ArmyWifeBethany
Registered Users
seller
seller

Econobum, Flips, and Bummis Super Whispers are my favorites and work great with padfolded anything

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like capris. They have a full cut and lots of room for covering a Prefold or flats. They've got double gussets. And they have a two size system, and both sizes are one-size with three snap settings to adjust the rise. We love 'em!

And their prints are to die for!
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thirsties Duo Wrap covers are great because they have gussets that help keep the poo in. They also lasted us up until 6 months in Size 1. We used them with pad folded short fit infant prefolds and it worked wonderfully!! We are on Size 2s now and they are still our fave covers. They come in aplix and snap. The aplix was great for a newbie and now that she doesn't pee every 20 minutes, I don't mind snaps!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the thristies size 1 duos, they fit from newborn to 18lbs. I used the sized prefolds and would use them again at least in newborn and infant sizes (i found it got alot harder with an active baby).

Why wait for the stump to fall off? That could take up to 3 weeks! I don't feel like i really used the snap downs I did have, most fits right under... though my son had an distended outie so maybe that made it more possible.

Oh and if you snappi on, it normally holds the poop in.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I loved my Bummis Super Brites and jellyrolled snappied prefolds on my son, his EBF poops were so runny that the times I tried to padfold were a mess and he leaked out of the seams or wicked through the binding on any of the covers I had, so if I wanted to reuse a cover at all, I realized quickly that I wouldn't be pad folding.

I like the super brites best of all the Bummis covers, and I was really happy with my covers from Fluffys on Etsy, but other than that I can say I didn't like the BSWW or prowrap. I have never tried a Thirsties, I'm not sure why...

Last edited by RockinLou; 11-23-2012 at 07:30 PM.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
seller

I could never get a good snappi fit with my son so I guess I am scared to try it again. Plus I am not patient with all kinds of folds. Maybe I need too be more patient!
Sounds like double gussets may be the way to go.
I have a bunch of flip to try too.
Are fitteds better to control the poop? Jut more expensive!
Favorite prefolds? What size to start with?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
I like capris. They have a full cut and lots of room for covering a Prefold or flats. They've got double gussets. And they have a two size system, and both sizes are one-size with three snap settings to adjust the rise. We love 'em!

And their prints are to die for!
Seems like these & the thirsties are the winners so far. The price on the bummis is nice too. Guess I will have to get a few
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Katiesuds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love rumparooz covers! I love the double leg gussets and the back gusset contains the biggest poos my dd has.
Katiesuds is offline   Reply With Quote