Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone want to share positive homebirth stories, anecdotes anything with me?

I am 36 weeks and have been planning a home birth. I've taking hypnobabies and feel comfortable with my midwife and our birth plan. I know I don't want to deliver in a hospital for a whole plethora of reasons.

But...

I am nervous, I am afraid I can't/won't be able to do it. Or that maybe I am being stupid to try for natural rather than a traditional hospital birth with an epi.

Basically I need positive thoughts, anecdotes, anything from mamas who have been there. Pretty please!!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

I strongly suggest reading Ida May's Guide to ChildBirth- tons of great stories!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
attachmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone want to share positive homebirth stories, anecdotes anything with me?

I've had two hospital births and three home births. The home births were so much nicer. It was really hard to get past the fear for the first home birth, though, especially considering that I had never had a natural birth. To be honest, I was surprised at how intense it was and I couldn't imagine going through it in a hospital setting. For the second home birth, I did hypnobabies and it was so much easier. It sounds like you're preparing for it well. Best wishes for an uneventful birth, and enjoy the baby snuggling in your own bed afterwards! (I think that's the best part of being at home for the birth.)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone want to share positive homebirth stories, anecdotes anything with me?

I had 2 home births and they were AWESOME. I would never do it another way! I was in labor for only 10 hours with my first, 4 hours with my second, no uneccessary intervention, and I felt totally safe, loved, and in control. I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain, and I feel like I did really well. I got a little whiney near transition with both of them, but hey, I did it! I felt up until transition things were very manageable. Transition was hard, but it only lasts about an hour or less. In the grand scheme of things, I rather have 1 hour of difficultly and pain than a lifetime of problems because of an epidural or c-section. GL mama!!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

My third was my first homebirth and was beautiful! She was a gentle, smooth easy 3 hour waterbirth, born into my own hands with a minimum of help. She weighed 10 lbs. 10 oz. I tell the astonished Drs. that if they were all like her it would be great!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second reading Ina May's Guide! Mama, you are stronger than you think and your body was made to do this, you will handle labor beautifully I am sure
I had a homebirth with my first as well, it was by far the best experience thus far in my life, the story is linked in my siggy if you'd like to read it. All new things are scary, but it will be fine. I'd be having a second homebirth if I could and I have told my DH that this can't be our last baby because I want another chance to have another homebirth good luck!
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

Read any book by Ina May Gaskin that you can get your hands on. Truth is you will feel like you can't do this during the birth, but you have to know deep down that you can and you will. You need to build up your inner strength. You can do this!!
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth if you haven't already. Also just repeating to yourself that you're made for this and you can do it. I told myself that labor was going to be awesome, and guess what, it was. I know that it won't be easy for everyone, but for me labor was so much better than I had expected. So much so that even though we planned a hospital birth with the first, we almost didn't make it in time because according to the books, I wasn't "in labor". ha. The second time we had a homebirth and it was great not having to leave- everyone comes to you and makes you feel safe. Having been a doula at hospital births, I know now what I missed the first time and opted out of the second. It is so awesome to have your baby in a peaceful, safe environment and not have to worry about being defensive and staying free of hospital germs (and "care").
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 3 hospital births and 2 homebirths and the homebirths were by FAR better. So much quicker, comfortable atmosphere and easy. I loved being able to nurse right away, sleep too and not have nurses stabbing me with needles, waking me up non stop etc. Till you get through it, you wonder if you can handle it BUT once you've done it you'll never doubt again . Good luck mama!