Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
valkynlu
Registered Users

Working third shift

I am considering taking a job that has third shift hours and am paranoid I will hate it. The hours are Fri-Sat 10:30pm-6:30am and Sat-Sun 7pm-7am. My list of pros and cons aren't helping.

Does anyone have any experience working this shift? I have three kids (6, 5 and 10 mo).

Advertisement

valkynlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
valkynlu
Registered Users

Oops, looks like it posted twice. Sorry folks.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Working third shift

I used to work 7pm-730am, every other weekend, I worked a total of 5 shifts/2 weeks. It definitely took adjusting, but then I was fine. I loved being home during the day, I think part of it depends, will someone else be able to watch your kids so you can sleep before/after work?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
valkynlu
Registered Users

My husband is the stay-at-home parent, so yes I would be able to sleep. It's mostly the quality time I would miss out on (weekends).
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yea, if hes home during the week then you can do a lot on weekdays, parks and Zoo's are less crowded, even going grocery shopping, so that's nice! But sometimes there's bigger events(bday parties, weddings, ect) that are weekends. You have to kind of learn what your tolerance is and what your priority is.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

I've worked nights and weekend/holiday nights for years, but not with a baby. I'll let you know about how it'll go after I start back at work March 1st after having my 1st baby.
I think the most important thing is this: are you a night owl or not? Some people simply can't take overnights due to their Circadian rhythm. Can you power nap and feel refreshed enough during the day to take care the kids? In theory, working overnights is perfect for me, since DH (self employed) will be able to be the childcare while I am gone (avoiding daycare) and I can spend my time with the baby after taking a short nap. Of course, we'll see how it actually works out in "real life"!!!
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've worked nights for over 5 years. My husband and I have done opposite shifts to avoid daycare. I go 3 nights or more if I pick up a week with little to no sleep. At first it was very hard to even drive home after I worked. Now I can go 48 hours with no sleep and function alright. If you can get the sleep you need I think you will be alright. I have picked up days on the weekends so I have worked less overnights but I hated being away from my family during the days esp. on the weekends when dh had off. So, I went back to straight nights. For me at this point in life it works for us. I try not to do 2 nights in a row because with the kids I don't get to nap during the day much. Good Luck and I hope it works out for your family.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I work a variety of shifts, but most often it's the 3rd shift. Sleep with that many littles maybe be a big challenge, especially if you're single. I was blessed to find a daycare that is open 24hrs/day, so that's how I do it. It can be done but it will burn you out quickly if you're not careful.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
valkynlu
Registered Users

Thanks everyone! I took the job after all (though I'm hunting for something with better pay). So, we'll see how it goes!

I used to be a night owl, but tended to crash around 4am, so I'm hoping some caffeine and naps will help with that.