Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
IzzysMomma90
Registered Users
seller

Can't get LO to eat for more than 5 mins

Can't get LO to eat for more than 5 mins at a time. She seems to like "snacking" and not getting a full feed. I'll feel like I never get a beak because she never seems full. Anyone have any tips?

Advertisement

IzzysMomma90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

How old is she and how long is she going btwn feedings? My dd1 was always a super efficient nurser, and I had a really forcefull let down. After my supply was established, she never nursed for longer than 5-7 min but was satisfied afterward and would last a couple hours till the next feeding

Sent from my droid
Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can't get LO to eat for more than 5 mins

My LO never nursed for more than 8 minutes beginning around 8 weeks. She had super suction power, because I always felt 'emptied' but she also ate more often. So I don't have any tips, just sympathy!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
IzzysMomma90
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
How old is she and how long is she going btwn feedings? My dd1 was always a super efficient nurser, and I had a really forcefull let down. After my supply was established, she never nursed for longer than 5-7 min but was satisfied afterward and would last a couple hours till the next feeding

Sent from my droid
She's almost a month old. It depends she can go 2 hours between a feeding or she goes 15 mins. 2 hours is rare though. I just can't seem to figure out her schedule. I'm constantly worried she's not getting enough but I feel like all I do is feed her.
IzzysMomma90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

At that age there is no schedule, just eat on demand. Keep doing what you are doing.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
cbreeding
Registered Users

At this age she could be going through a growth spurt.

The baby is still young and it may be a few weeks before she gets into her "pattern". For me, a pattern would develop somewhere between 6-8 weeks and would last for 2-4 weeks before it changed again. It pretty much did this until right around a year. I always fed on demand though.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest two never nursed for more than 5 minutes per feeding and only on 1 breast each feeding. That is all they ever needed. They were super efficient nursers and they were big healthy babies. Oddly enough my 3rd was my long nurser (10-15 minutes per feeding) and she is my peanut who has stayed at the bottom of the charts.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you seen a LC? My son did this and we figured out he wasn't latching correctly (even though he had been fine before) and was just getting tired. Then 30 minutes later he was starving again. I ended up getting mastitis before we figured out what was going on.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms
My oldest two never nursed for more than 5 minutes per feeding and only on 1 breast each feeding. That is all they ever needed. They were super efficient nursers ...
This was my DD.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
MichelleKiley
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hang in there! My girl only and ever nurses for about five minutes. Total. One side is plenty for her and there's no pushing for more.

She ate most every hour for the first two months or so? She's just about six months and sometimes goes four hours now!
So basically, unless you think babe is starving, she probably just eats fast/you have a strong milk flow. or both! Which seems to be our case.
MichelleKiley is offline   Reply With Quote