Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HSing Check-In Nov. 25--Dec. 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
I am ready to throw the homeschooling towel in.
I am sorry you are feeling down about homeschooling. I hope things look up soon.

I think I missed the last thread too. Things have been insane in this house. We have had so many appointments that we haven't gotten much done either. My son had a dermatology appointment 2 weeks ago for a scary looking mole and had it removed. The pediatric dermatologist was scared it was melanoma and waiting for the results almost killed me. But we heard back last week that it was benign, so we are so happy. I also have been having constant migraines and my neurologist wants to do an MRI, so I will probably need to so that soon.it wouldn't be a big deal except I am having tons of numbness too. I am way behind in schooling my kids.
My youngest dd is staring preschool 2 mornings a week. I had her evaluated for her speech and she needs speech therapy. They will do it at the school. I feel guilty, but know she will like it and maybe I can get more dne with the kids.

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Welcome to the couple newbies! I'm glad to see quite a few people checking in, seems like it had tapered off for a while, and I figure it will again when Christmas season starts getting REALLY hectic.

Psychomom....sorry you're having such a bad day/week/month/year. What's going on?

As for us, I was kind of nervous about getting school back underway since we pretty much took a whole week off, but so far things have went splendidly. We did a full day yesterday, and the kids started their Bible readers. Anyone know if there's anything kinds similar in the KJV? It's not a big deal for this year since it looks like pretty basic stuff, but we use the KJV for everything and I would love it if there was an easy reader KJV. They really enjoyed doing the Bible readers, and we also did a lot of review words to make sure they didn't forget everything. Today also went quite well. We are going to keep going almost right to Christmas if I can manage it, although some might be holiday themed stuff, that way we'll have plenty of time to take off and play in the snow if we get some this year.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi,
Mind if I join? I'm only teaching my k-er right now. Though really were only managing the three r's most days and ballet on Wednesdays. It sure feels like I used to get more done, but I don't know where the time goes anymore.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Welcome to new posters! The more the merrier!

Psychomom - I know most of us have had the "throw in the towel" feeling at some point, so you're not alone. It's hard to offer help on a forum such as this, but we can certainly "listen" if you feel like sharing anything.

AFU - We had a pretty good day. We got a later start than I had intended, but managed to get everything done, including some grocery shopping. Now, if only the baby sleeps better tonight then last night...
Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess we had a good day nana did most of the teaching today while I was helping Pop put up a shed. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood when we came in so I guess school went well. I Have to find some things for them to do tomorrow not sure what I am going to have them do yet. We made borax crystal snow flakes this morning they turned out well we are going to make some more when we get some white pip cleaners to give as Christmas ornaments this year. I am currently sitting hear flipping through amazon trying to decide on what I want to spend my $100 amazon gift card on when it comes in I need to spend it wisely I dont want to waste it and get something that we wont use. so far I have a magnetic word set. A magnetic science kit that im on the fence about and some translucent geometric shapes unifix cubes and possibly a geoboard. So far thats all i have come up with. I would like to get some curriculum for next year but I have no idea what to get. I think i am leaning toward time for learning because we will be in a small apartment and we will be very limited on space and that would cut down on the need for a big box of curriculum but I dont know how DD would do with it. Or I could just take the $100 amazon gift card be completely irresponsible and blow it on something totally fun but I probably wont do that since my Christmas shopping is basically done.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would love to join. This is my first year home educating my 2 oldest boys. 2nd grade and 1st. I have to say I am not loving it and think almost daily about sending my boys to school. Then the other days I feel like they are getting a wonderful education. Home educating has brought out many insecurites and many of my boys discipline issues.

We use RightStart math and read for 2-3 hours everyday on every subject under the sun.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We survived our first day We have started by just doing math and language arts. I am homeschooling three so timing today was my biggest challenge. How many hours a day do you mamas spend working on school work?
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
We survived our first day We have started by just doing math and language arts. I am homeschooling three so timing today was my biggest challenge. How many hours a day do you mamas spend working on school work?
How old are your kiddos and what program(s) are you using? I know a lot of us try to combine where we can to help save time and sanity. Math and LA are the hardest to combine....but with the other subjects you can sometimes combine and pretty wide age range. And as they get older they can do more things independently so that helps time wise too. Don't be hard on yourself though--it was just your first day. It takes a while for you and the kids to get into a routine and find what works for you.

My kiddos are 6.5, *almost* 5 and 3. I only do school with the older two, and we use My Father's World 1st grade. That program only takes around 2 hours a day to comlete and sometimes less. We live in MO though, and we have to log 1000 hours per year, so we usually log about 4-5 hours a day, although not a lot of that is sit-down work with kids this young.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure I fit in 100% here, but I kind of homeschool my 5 year old DD. DH and I teach in a small school (9 students from K-8th). My older DD just turned 5 a week ago, so she's not really in kindergarten yet. But she has been going to work/school with us since she was 9 months old.

Last month I decided to start doing some work with her because she was showing interest in reading, and always loved math. I don't use our school's curriculum to teach her because I don't really like it , so I do my own thing with her and kind of home school her. We use The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code, and Singapore Math (though I'm not sure I like Singapore Math very much).
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #20
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Welcome to the couple newbies! I'm glad to see quite a few people checking in, seems like it had tapered off for a while, and I figure it will again when Christmas season starts getting REALLY hectic.

Psychomom....sorry you're having such a bad day/week/month/year. What's going on?

As for us, I was kind of nervous about getting school back underway since we pretty much took a whole week off, but so far things have went splendidly. We did a full day yesterday, and the kids started their Bible readers. Anyone know if there's anything kinds similar in the KJV? It's not a big deal for this year since it looks like pretty basic stuff, but we use the KJV for everything and I would love it if there was an easy reader KJV. They really enjoyed doing the Bible readers, and we also did a lot of review words to make sure they didn't forget everything. Today also went quite well. We are going to keep going almost right to Christmas if I can manage it, although some might be holiday themed stuff, that way we'll have plenty of time to take off and play in the snow if we get some this year.
There are KJV kids bibles that are revised.. but if you read kjv i would stick with kjv.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote