Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten

How old are your kiddos and what program(s) are you using? I know a lot of us try to combine where we can to help save time and sanity. Math and LA are the hardest to combine....but with the other subjects you can sometimes combine and pretty wide age range. And as they get older they can do more things independently so that helps time wise too. Don't be hard on yourself though--it was just your first day. It takes a while for you and the kids to get into a routine and find what works for you.

My kiddos are 6.5, *almost* 5 and 3. I only do school with the older two, and we use My Father's World 1st grade. That program only takes around 2 hours a day to comlete and sometimes less. We live in MO though, and we have to log 1000 hours per year, so we usually log about 4-5 hours a day, although not a lot of that is sit-down work with kids this young.
And combining with in subjects... Instead of a seperate handwriting curriculum, just use copying which doubles as LA and can help with memory work.

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: HSing Check-In Nov. 25--Dec. 7

I am touched that you guys care about me and my problems. I'm not really ready to get into it right now because it's a 40 mile long story! Ugh. One day....
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #23
danigrace05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd love to join in here. I'm Danielle. I homeschool my 6yo son Luke and 4yo daughter Malorie. We have homeschooled since January.
I am looking for a more computer based curriculum for Luke that doesn't include handwriting. I started the free subscription with abc mouse dot com but it seems too easy for him. He can read pretty well for his age and uses the computer better than I do lol
Any suggestions/advice would be great! Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #24
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom
I am touched that you guys care about me and my problems. I'm not really ready to get into it right now because it's a 40 mile long story! Ugh. One day....
Everyone needs a little support now and then..

Mamas I'd love to know more about you. Could everyone check in with ages/grades and curriculum? And how long you've hsd?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danigrace05
I'd love to join in here. I'm Danielle. I homeschool my 6yo son Luke and 4yo daughter Malorie. We have homeschooled since January.
I am looking for a more computer based curriculum for Luke that doesn't include handwriting. I started the free subscription with abc mouse dot com but it seems too easy for him. He can read pretty well for his age and uses the computer better than I do lol
Any suggestions/advice would be great! Thanks
Starfall? Time4learning?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HSing Check-In Nov. 25--Dec. 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
And combining with in subjects... Instead of a seperate handwriting curriculum, just use copying which doubles as LA and can help with memory work.
Vicki,

Does copywork really work? I know it improves handwriting but will it really help with grammar and spelling? It just seems too easy. I have heard that good readers are good spellers but I devour books and I am a terrible speller.

I listened to Victoria Botkins curriculum advice. I love the laid back approach to it. So we are not doing any curriculum except math. We are reading 2-3 hours a day. Every subject under the sun. Doing lots of writing and copywork at my boys young age. They are 2nd and 1st. This is my first year home educating. My boys did awesome at public school. I am afraid of them falling behind. My husband wants them to go back to school next year so I feel like I have to get this right.

My state requires testing in the spring. Just praying they do well.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #27
danigrace05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma

Starfall? Time4learning?
We've tried starfall before. I'll check on the second one. I was hoping for something all exclusive like switched on schoolhouse.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten

How old are your kiddos and what program(s) are you using? I know a lot of us try to combine where we can to help save time and sanity. Math and LA are the hardest to combine....but with the other subjects you can sometimes combine and pretty wide age range. And as they get older they can do more things independently so that helps time wise too. Don't be hard on yourself though--it was just your first day. It takes a while for you and the kids to get into a routine and find what works for you.

My kiddos are 6.5, *almost* 5 and 3. I only do school with the older two, and we use My Father's World 1st grade. That program only takes around 2 hours a day to comlete and sometimes less. We live in MO though, and we have to log 1000 hours per year, so we usually log about 4-5 hours a day, although not a lot of that is sit-down work with kids this young.
My kids are 11, 7, and 4. I have combined a little bit with the younger two but the older one is pretty much too far ahead. This is kinda how our day went yesterday.
journal writing - all kids
calendar and math lesson - younger two / minute math - older child
computer math - younger two / math lesson - older child
BREAK
reading lesson - middle child / reading computer work - older child
preschool - younger child / ind. reading work - middle child / computer work - older child
play time - two younger / reading lesson - older one

This again was our first day so we will see how it goes today. Any advice or something that might work better?
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz

Vicki,

Does copywork really work? I know it improves handwriting but will it really help with grammar and spelling? It just seems too easy. I have heard that good readers are good spellers but I devour books and I am a terrible speller.

I listened to Victoria Botkins curriculum advice. I love the laid back approach to it. So we are not doing any curriculum except math. We are reading 2-3 hours a day. Every subject under the sun. Doing lots of writing and copywork at my boys young age. They are 2nd and 1st. This is my first year home educating. My boys did awesome at public school. I am afraid of them falling behind. My husband wants them to go back to school next year so I feel like I have to get this right.

My state requires testing in the spring. Just praying they do well.
Yes it does. We do use a curriculum called Primary Language Lessons and have experimented this year with real English curriculum and the difference is that a Charlotte Mason approach is simpler and more gentle. Copywork is great for handwriting and I think if your struggling its fine to use alone for a time.

I don't know anything about botkins advice but I find a simple curriculum is plenty effective. What is most needed is consistency.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danigrace05

We've tried starfall before. I'll check on the second one. I was hoping for something all exclusive like switched on schoolhouse.
Your kiddo is 6? I think that computer based curriculum is best for older grades. At this age they need more hand holding and one on one attention. But practice is nice. We use jumpstart for fun games but not as a replacement.