Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HSing Check-In Nov. 25--Dec. 7

Pyschomom--will your DD talk to the teacher in the class where she does volunteer? It does sound like she would be great with kids, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a job with kids, but not parents. Teaching (school, gymnastics, whatever) wouldn't involve a ton of interation....hopefully with the new med and counseling she will be feeling a bit braver. Could she work with another gymnastics teacher for a while helping there until she got comfortable with some of the parents?

As for us--Yeah for Friday! I think the kids were excited too, they did their work super quick this morning.

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #52
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Pyschomom--will your DD talk to the teacher in the class where she does volunteer?
No, never. In fact, the first few weeks my friend kept asking me if my daughter enjoyed being there because she doesn't act like it. But that is her personality; she is very stone-faced all the time. She is very difficult to read. You could tell her, "Hey, your dog was run over by a garbage truck," and her face wouldn't change...she would just say, "Oh, that's sad. I'll miss her." On the other hand, you can say, "Here are the keys to your brand new dream car!" and she would respond with the same face and say, "Thanks." This is pretty horrible but I used to joke she'll probably be a serial killer one day.

Anyway, I had to tell my friend not to concern herself with whether or not she was having a good time; as a kindergarten teacher the last thing she needed to do was to "babysit" my child. I also told her to please tell me if my daughter wasn't being helpful. She's the kind of person that would so I'm not worried there. Alisa (that's my daughter; I'm tired of referring to her as "my daughter" in posts ) helps the kids who are struggling with the things the rest of the class is working on. She has even helped in a couple of other classes, although we personally know those teachers, too. Whenever I see them, they tell me they love her.

A bit of good news, too. Although she only started her full dose of Lexapro last night, she said by Saturday she could feel a difference. I was at work on Saturday and we needed a 3rd coach to help with a 5 year old birthday party so Alisa came in and worked it. She was nervous but she said she had fun. One of the little girls went up to her and said, "Excuse me, do you work at ________ Elementary school?" Alisa said, "Yes, I do!" So cute.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #53
croark
Registered Users
seller

Lots of newbies. Can I be added to the newbie list?!? I used to be a lot more active on this board but since I don't have a lil one in cloth diapers anymore, I just don't frequent DS as often.

We are actually breaking for the whole month of December. We start our school year in January and school year round. So I'm in the process of getting school books in and prepping for the new year. I have finished a schedule for the whole 2013 year and have started lesson plans for the first quarter.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #54
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oo.. prepping is fun.. what are u picking?

Today is a slooooow day. We are just getting rolling! But luckily my kids are being compliant. we had a late night so we slept in and took our time getting moving this morning. Ah the beauty of homeschooling.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #55
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah for the meds helping Alisa already.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #56
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Week 2: We added our time for learning site sp we have started science, history, and some extra reading and math. We have alot more to do now. After lunch we will finish up with reading for the day then to the library and the YMCA.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Glad to hear Alisa may have found something that helps her. I can't imagine what y'all go through with her (including her, herself).She's very lucky to have you working with her and encouraging her.

Croark, you are way organized. I don't think I've ever done a schedule.

AFU, last week was a bit of a struggle. That week we took off to go see family threw the kids for a loop. I knew it would to an extent, but it was worse than I was expecting. But, we are in full swing today. Finally got our history books from the library and everyone's got a good attitude today. Hopefully it sticks. I'm debating how much of a break to take over Christmas. I am seriously considering just taking Christmas Eve and Christmas off, due to the late start we got, the way the kids are after a break, and the fact that DH is deploying sometime this spring, which will throw us off for a bit.

I can't wait until next Friday, though. Provided DH can get the day off work, we're going to all go see The Hobbit.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #58
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have already put in 2 days of schoolwork today!! We were just about done with today's stuff when the kids started begging to do their Bible Readers, which was not scheduled for today. They need the reading practice, so it's hard to say no to that. So we did that, and then the workbook that goes with them, and then.... We ended up with two days done except for a drawing lesson. We'll either do that tonight or we may throw it in with tomorrow's stuff. The kids also read me Hop on Pop today, which is a pretty major accomplishment for them. A very good start to what I hope is a very good week!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #59
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Today my 2 youngest had their eye doctor appointments, so while I took them my mom got school done with the older kids. She just covered the basics, but that is usually all we get done on Mondays anyway. Then we spent some time decorating outside. I think this is weird warm weather we're having here in OH for Nov./Dec., but I'm not complaining! Hope everyone else is having a good Monday.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #60
3boys_mom
Registered Users

We are having a pretty good week so far here, hope it stays that way! Lately we've gotten back in the habit of just getting the basics done, which I'm not too happy about. But I'll take that trade off for the lack of fussing and fighting about every last thing. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get science and/or history back in to the mix.

psycho~glad that your daughter is noticing a positive difference while on meds! hope this trend continues for you both.
cedavid~I hear you on the beautiful weather! DH went out this afternoon to hang more Christmas lights. He brought his jacket back in saying it was too warm for it.
tallanvor~I'm also torn about when/how long to break for Christmas. Last year we stopped right after my son's birthday (16th) but this year that almost feels too early. I have on my calendar lessons through the 19th or 20th but DH will fuss and want them done sooner, so who knows what will actually happen. At the very latest we won't go past the 21st.

Welcome croark! prepping and planning...fun fun!