Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is there a "professional" dedicated to sibling childcare during labor?

I'm in the midst of really getting things nailed down for this birth. My plan is to labor at home for as long as possible before going to the birth center. My concern is childcare for my 2.5 year old son during labor. DH works rotating shift work so it's not likely he will be home when labor starts to watch DS (besides, I'll need his support which would be hard if he's tending to DS). We have no family nearby and no friends I'd reliably trust with childcare.

My ideal situation would be to go into labor, labor at home while DS is taken care of in our home, have DH drive me to the birth center leaving DS with the caretaker, birth knowing he's well taken care of at home. Return home as soon as is feasible. I'd love a caretaker I could call to come to my home when labor begins and remain as long as it takes for me to return home.

Anyone know if there is a "professional" dedicated to this purpose that I could hire?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there a "professional" dedicated to sibling childcare during labor?

You could see if there are any doulas in your area who would like to be a sibling doula. I'm not sure how common it is for a doula to be left in sole charge of a sibling while the parents leave, but probably not very. Otherwise, you would just need to hire a babysitter who has the kind of flexibity and availability you need.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
ibenchu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you are looking to hire a sibling doula. In my area the child usually goes along to the birtcenter (If desired) and the sibling doula watches them out in the sitting area/lobby. This also gives you the choice if after baby is born and it's been awhile if you want your DS to come meet baby. Good luck!
Mama to DD #1 9/15/2006 and DD #2 6/2/2008: DS 8/5/2010 and DD 1/6/2013
CAPPA Doula for Metro Denver
ibenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the info!
DS will be a rambunctious 2.5 year old ( who thrives on routine) when this baby is born. He will not do well waiting in a waiting room for hours until sister is born (he will be trying to get to me the entire time which may not be the best for focusing through labor) lol. So, I'll definitely need someone to stay at home with him. Ill look into those suggested options

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also look for a postpartum doula that would be willing to fill that role. Or even a birth doula. There is a local CNM who doesn't allow her clients to have a birth doula, so some have hired a doula to be with them at home intl they head to the hospital then the doula watches their other children.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just confirmed my birth doula and she is putting out her antenna for someone/recommendations who could fulfill this caretaking role for us :-)