Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
FF Car Seat good for Back Seat of Truck

Hi,

My Son is almost 3, 35lbs. He is FF. My husband drives a Dakota truck that has a full back with back doors. Currently our son is in a Evenflo Triumph Advance LX, in the most upright position but he doesn't have much room for his feet.

Any suggestions for a car seat to give more foot room for a truck?

My husband is already talking booster seat because he wants there to be more room -- i told him that its a year minimum but I would want him in a 5pt harness longer. When poking around i learned about convertible seats that eventually convert into a booster seat -- it is also more booster seat like with a 5pt harness which is nice, like the Diono RadianRXT. It appears that it would have more foot room.

I also really like the adjustable without rethreading (our other car seat is a adjustable britix) but I know I might need to punt on that feature.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-26-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: FF Car Seat good for Back Seat of Truck

Would he have any more room with a Britax Frontier? I read that is a good belt positioning booster, is it still a good car seat?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my frontier but it is so wide both side to side and front to back that my son has no leg room when used in my husband's truck. We honestly get the best leg room with our Radian, and our Maestro. I would also check out an Evenflo secure kid because it is a lot like a Maestro. These seem to have a shallow"er" seat.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

On amazon they have the Radian R120 & RXT, the second being more expensive. There doesn't appear to be much difference between them in look & specs. Is there any reason to get one over the other?

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-26-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The booster function of the Radian promises more than it can deliver, I'm afraid. It has a 50 lb minimum weight to use it as a booster, and most kids outgrow it entirely by height at around 60 lbs and long before they are ready to go without a booster seat. It's a good seat and it will probably fit nicely in your truck, but if you're counting on it being the last car seat he'll need, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you have any more children in your future to pass it down to, you'll get your money's worth out of it in the long run as a rear facing and forward facing car seat.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post
The booster function of the Radian promises more than it can deliver, I'm afraid. It has a 50 lb minimum weight to use it as a booster, and most kids outgrow it entirely by height at around 60 lbs and long before they are ready to go without a booster seat. It's a good seat and it will probably fit nicely in your truck, but if you're counting on it being the last car seat he'll need, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you have any more children in your future to pass it down to, you'll get your money's worth out of it in the long run as a rear facing and forward facing car seat.
Interesting. I finally found something that told me up to 57 tall which would basically be the 4.9 min height requirement for a kid to be out of a booster.

If we are still needing a booster at that point I would think we could convert to a inexpensive backless one ---- also it's only good for 9 years if we need one passed this height/weight it might be too old anyway.

Thanks for letting me know and giving me something else to look into!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH had a Dakota truck and i have tall boys with long legs and DS1 was in a Nautalis and had plenty of room. He never complained about being squished. We took the truck on long road trips also (6 hours one way).

We had DS2 RF in a graco comfort sport in the back of the dakota.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Interesting. I finally found something that told me up to 57 tall which would basically be the 4.9 min height requirement for a kid to be out of a booster.
It lies. He won't make it anywhere near 57" tall in the Radian. It is also outgrown when the tops of his ears are at the top of the car seat. My DH's granddaughter is too tall for the Radian now and she is almost 7 and nowhere near 4'9" tall. And she outgrew the XTSL/RXT about the time she turned six, not because it was "technically" outgrown but because her shoulders ran into the head wings and she just physically couldn't sit in it anymore.

Really, any child who fits in the Radian as a booster will also fit in the Radian as a harnessed seat, so there's almost no point in even having a booster function.

Depending on what age your child outgrows the Radian, a backless booster may be sufficient after the Radian is outgrown, though.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post
Depending on what age your child outgrows the Radian, a backless booster may be sufficient after the Radian is outgrown, though.
true true. thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
DH had a Dakota truck and i have tall boys with long legs and DS1 was in a Nautalis and had plenty of room. He never complained about being squished. We took the truck on long road trips also (6 hours one way)
Also thanks for the
Thanks!