Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
MomMe3
Registered Users

How Do You Do Holiday Gifting?

We're now a family of 6. In the past, we've done an equal amount of money spent on each child. I've seen on another board when people do a set number of presents or a theme like "something to read, something to wear, and a want" and wonder what you guys are doing.

This year is off balance, but I'll try to keep it short...

DS wants an expensive gift and it's basically the only thing he's asked for and he's asked since last year for every gift-giving event. I planned on getting it on Black Friday and already told relatives I was so the purchased gifts to go along with mine that are completely useless if I don't get that one thing. I couldn't get it Black Friday, but I'm pretty much stuck getting it. It's not on sale anymroe and is really expensive (IMVHO).

While we literally could spend the same amount on the two younger kids (not including the baby who just turned 1), it would really be a financial strain and over budget. I have picked out one big gift (that seems expensive/equivalent to a 7 year-old) to what DS is getting for the two 7 year-olds. I was planning on getting them a few more smaller gifts but it does not come out to even half the amount spent on DS.

While I know it's the thought that counts. THe part of me that wants to be "fair" feels guilt and pressure. Ugh...

What would you do?

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How Do You Do Holiday Gifting?

We plan to spend the same amount on each kid, but every so often there are special circumstances where one has more spent on them than the others.

My parents used to do the same thing every so often and it was made known that this was a special gift so that we were never expecting to get big gifts every single time. When we were the kids not getting the big gift we got excited for the other sibling and what they were getting.

This year my 5 year old is getting 1 gift, it costs twice as much as we normally spend, and my mom is chipping in a little for it, but we are still spending more than we normally do. My 4 year old is getting 4-5 small gifts that don't equal as much. Either way you look at it, number of gifts or money spent, someone is getting more. But that's just the way it works out sometimes.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

I have six kids and I use to try to get them the same amount of gifts not really the same amount of money. If anything I make sure the littlest ones have the same number of gifts as the kid with the most gifts since they do not understand. My littlest are happy with dollar gifts its the big kids that end up with more expensive things.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
MomMe3
Registered Users

Thank you for sharing.

In the end, I spent about the same on the two 7 year-olds. We decided that we would not get anything for the baby, which makes me feel less guilty about spending so much more. She's 1 and she just had a birthday and got presents and is getting gifts from both our sides of the family so it seemed like overkill.

I think next year I'm going to try for the theme of getting a set number "a want, a need, something to read" type of deal. It just makes it easier for me and then there's no worry of anyone feeling leftout.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
mommmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Right now we just get the same number of gifts for each kid and the amount spent on each is a bit different. seems to work the best right now as the kids dont understand yet about stuff costing more and will just fixate on someone getting more presents than the other
Emily , SAHM to Ava (08/08), Connor (01/10), Adrian (01/11), Logan (12/11) , Hannah and Olivia (12/12) , and expecting #100
mommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with pp. I was the oldest of five and usually got the more expensive gifts because I was older and did a lot of stuff to help, etc. my mom always made sure the younger kids got them same amount instead of the same price! It would have been impossible to get the same price gifts. We would have been broke!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

We are a family of 6 as well. We don't really buy Christmas gifts for our 4 DDs so I can't speak to this specific issue but I can speak to the buying the girls each something and is it more important to get the same amount of gifts or spend the same amount. I don't much care to try to spend the same amount especially when they are younger, for me it is more important to find something they will truly enjoy. Having a $4 toy will be just as special to a younger child as the $55 toy/item his/her older sibling got. I don't feel guilty about it at all because I know in the future things will even out.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote