Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Registered Users
Why do YOU have a large family?

I know why we have (or are planning to have - we're only on #4 right now but planning #5 and expect to go to 6) a large family, but I'm curious why some of you others have chosen to.

For us, so many things have gone into it, but the heart of it is simple: our children make us happy, we make them happy, and they make each other happy!

As for the things that have gone into it - we got married young and started having children young, so we've had plenty of time. My pregnancies are uncomplicated (sure, I'm sick as a dog for half, but no medical conditions make it difficult), my deliveries are straightforward.

DH and I both love babies - and bigger kids. We love spending time together working and playing. I feel like I am (usually!) good at organizing and managing and DH makes enough to allow me to be at home full time (as long as we budget carefully and make each dollar stretch).

We live in an area where it's not that unusual to have larger families so, while there will always be people who judge harshly for whatever reason, our kids also have friends who come from large families, so it doesn't seem weird to them. It also means that we don't look too much like a circus when we go out. And living I a family-centered neighborhood makes it so we can send out kids to the little neighborhood public school and feel good about it.

We also feel very strongly that our Father in Heaven needs good parents and good families to send His children into, and we are happy to provide a place for them in ours, where we will love them and teach them and train them to be happy in righteous ways and to influence the world around them for good.

Those are some of the reasons we have chosen a large family. What about you?

Married to my love, mama of three big kids and two littles. Happy to be giving the best years of my life to my beautiful family!
krissyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Why do YOU have a large family?

We have one of the smaller "large families" here, but I think 4 kids still qualifies.

Anyway, ours wasnt so much a choice as it was what happened. We tried for 6 years to get pg with DD2, but once she was here, #3 and #4 just kinda happened. Wew were kjnd trying, kinda not with #3, but firmly NTNP with #4. But we have taken steps now to be done.
Kim-married to Dan
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Registered Users

We had several kids because we love the large family life. Our kids are so much fun to do stuff with. Our first 5 were planned and the last two were surprises but I couldn't imagine it any other way. That said we are done!
M, loving my soldier G, and our kiddos B (11) , B (9) , M (8) , A(7) , A (5) , K (2) , and N (6 months)
mouse243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
I don't know. It just happened lol!
Natasha: Mom to toddlers and tweens and everything in between.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
Registered Users

I just loving being a mom! I have littles through adults & none of them have caused me a bit of trouble (truly bad behavior wise). They are not perfect, but they are great people that I love being around. Our family is so close & our kids are best friends. My dh says he never sees me happier than when we have a new baby. I just cant imagine being done. We only have 6, but I would love more. I just don't necessarily want to birth them at this point!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:
I love the excitement if new babies!
I have good kids!
Birth control just doesn't feel right and since me and DH make such cute kids, we just keep having them!
Ariana Armando
{M.o3'} {E.o5'} {C.o9'} {S.12'} {D.14'}
.o8 .13
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

We wanted to be a large family. There have been a couple of times that I declared myself done, but I always change my mind.
SAHM homeschooling mom to K 7, C 5, M 4, E 2 and baby I.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Registered Users

DH wanted a big family right from the get go. He comes from a biggish family, and there's been a few more in the family tree. It didn't take long to convince me. Love the baby stage, love watching their personalities unfold...
YaYaMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
Registered Users

I love being a mother and fortunately, my husband loves being a dad.
Lucky Mama to 5
old DS feedback
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Registered Users

That's just the way it worked out. We love being parents and we have the most amazing kids.

I was one of 6 kids, DH was one of 4, so we both come from larger families. (My mom was one of 8 and dad was one of 7, so my extended family is HUGE.) We're all Catholic, so big families are normal and expected if you follow the teachings of the church.

The kids love being part of a big family. They like the novelty of it and love the incredulous looks other kids give them when they say we have (almost) 5 kids in our family. My kids want me to have more! Their friends LOVE coming here because our house is very kid friendly, the backyard looks like a park and I make a point of baking treats when the kids have guests.

There were times we were going to call ourselves done, but we still chose not to use birth control and we were surprised with 2 more. It was tough when the first 3 were really little and I ended up needing some time to fix a few health issues, so we have a pretty big break after the 3rd. Turns out those health issues were naturally preventing pregnancy. I was surprised how easy it was to go 4 and beyond. It's SO much easier to care for babies when there are older kids in the house to help with everything.

I feel very peaceful about adding to our family right now, but I also feel at peace if this is all God sends our way.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote