Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Questions about wool and fleece

Hi everyone, I LOVE the look of fitteds, and then I put a cover on them and get so sad because the cuteness gets hidden and the pul destroys the air flow benefit. Wool and fleece scare the crud out of me but I want to love them. So help me get over this.

My mom has made me longies that I have tried to lanolize. I haven't even tested them. How do I know if the lanoizing worked? Where and how often do you lanolize? I tried to do it in the kitchen sink but the water leaked out and it didn't sit for as long as I would have liked. If I lanolize in the tub does it leave a residue?

When my little one is wearing a fitted with wool how often do you change them? I go 2-4 hours with our other diapers. I wanted to use the wool with our night OBFs, ecoposh and Pianissimo. I also thought about using it when we are home in the evenings (over orange diaper company diapers). Would longer or shorter times require different types of wool?

Now fleece. I know that fleece is less water proof than wool. Would the fleece pants that I already have (old navy performance fleece) work or is there some special cloth diaper fleece?

I would appreciate any thoughts you have, thanks!

Advertisement

eileprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Questions about wool and fleece

I don't know anything about fleece but my wool I change around every 2-3 hours. The diaper that is.

I lanolize in a cheap plastic wash basin. I think they are like $3 at walmart maybe a dollar or two more.

You can tell the wool is pretty well lanolized if dropps of water bead up and roll off the wool when dripped on.

To speed up dry time I fold a dry towel around them and spin in my top load washer. We have reduced the dry time significantly doing this. It used to take about 2-3 days to dry in the winter. Last time I washed which was a couple days ago it only took around 12-18 hours to dry.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't be afraid! Wool is wonderful. I change when I notice pee, so that's every hour to every 2 hours for us, but wool can hold up as well as other covers I think. It isn't necessary to soak very long to properly lanolize. I do it in my kitchen sink and have never noticed any residue. I only lanolize every couple of months (if that) and wash with lanoline rich wool wash between. I put them through the spin cycle on my machine after washing and drying time is a non-issue.
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Fairyblue
Registered Users
Formely: aidan_madisons_mom
seller

My Mood:

Do you know if the yarn she used was 100% or at least 80% wool?
If it is not at least 80% wool then lanolzing it won't really help.

I usually would do the wet zone for lanolizing it and just do a spray lanolin or just wash the woolies in regular wool wash without Lanolin and then use my tube of lansinoh and put a little dab on my hands and dab the wet zone. I found that if I washed them in wool wash with lanolin then they would get gummed up from the lanolin on the legs etc where it was not needed.

Most yarn already had lanolin in it already unless it was processed or stripped.

The good thing about wool is it is antibacterial and self cleaning meaning the lanolin once it gets wet it cleanses and neutralizes any odors, so if they are just peed in you can take them off and hang to dry and reuse them without having to wash them each time. I only washed my son's woolies if they had food spilled on them or a blow out or they played outside in the dirt. I would really do a strip clean once a month or so with some dawn soap and relanolize them.

Fairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

you've got good answers about the wool, so I'll chime in about fleece! fleece is like the poor man's wool! and yes, those old navy fleece pants will work just fine, though you will have to change more often than you will with wool because fleece will feel kind of damp sooner than the wool. With fleece (and wool, really, but to a lesser extent) your coverage is only as good as the diaper underneath. =]
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairyblue View Post
Do you know if the yarn she used was 100% or at least 80% wool?
If it is not at least 80% wool then lanolzing it won't really help.

I usually would do the wet zone for lanolizing it and just do a spray lanolin or just wash the woolies in regular wool wash without Lanolin and then use my tube of lansinoh and put a little dab on my hands and dab the wet zone. I found that if I washed them in wool wash with lanolin then they would get gummed up from the lanolin on the legs etc where it was not needed.

Most yarn already had lanolin in it already unless it was processed or stripped.

The good thing about wool is it is antibacterial and self cleaning meaning the lanolin once it gets wet it cleanses and neutralizes any odors, so if they are just peed in you can take them off and hang to dry and reuse them without having to wash them each time. I only washed my son's woolies if they had food spilled on them or a blow out or they played outside in the dirt. I would really do a strip clean once a month or so with some dawn soap and relanolize them.
I asked my mom what kind of wool she used and she says its 100% wool 'bare wool of the Andres". Mom sent me a link. http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Bare_..._D5420101.html

Thanks for the 'wet zone' suggestion. I have solid lanolin and lansinoh so I can hit it with those if I get nervous.

Last edited by eileprose; 11-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecheatham View Post
you've got good answers about the wool, so I'll chime in about fleece! fleece is like the poor man's wool! and yes, those old navy fleece pants will work just fine, though you will have to change more often than you will with wool because fleece will feel kind of damp sooner than the wool. With fleece (and wool, really, but to a lesser extent) your coverage is only as good as the diaper underneath. =]
Thanks for the fleece help. I appreciate the idea that the wool/fleece is only as good as the diaper under it. I guess that is kind of what I am wrapping my mind around. I am also glad to hear that I can use the pants that I have. I have a ton of old navy fleece pants. They fit so well!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecheatham View Post
but I take a little exception at the "poor man's wool" comment To me, at least, it's LAZY BUSY MAMA'S wool

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Fairyblue
Registered Users
Formely: aidan_madisons_mom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileprose View Post
I asked my mom what kind of wool she used and she says its 100% wool 'bare wool of the Andres". Mom sent me a link. http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Bare_..._D5420101.html

Thanks for the 'wet zone' suggestion. I have solid lanolin and lansinoh so I can hit it with those if I get nervous.
Then it should be fine!

Fairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
but I take a little exception at the "poor man's wool" comment To me, at least, it's LAZY BUSY MAMA'S wool
LOL! yes, that is much more appropriate!
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote