Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
most narrow infant seat?

Just wondering if there is an opinion out there on what is the narrowest infant carseat? I will be trying to get 3 across in our second row of a 2006 honda odyssey... (infant seat in middle, britax pavilion on one side, britax marathon on the other)

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
discohiker
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: most narrow infant seat?

I am thinking that all the bases are about the same, but my maxi cosi mico seems narrower... everyone comments on how light and different it looks.
discohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

subbing, came to ask just this question!
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we were looking at infant seats I think the baby trend and chico were the narrowest.

We went with the baby trend--I really don't understand why everyone hates them. I love it. And it was inexpensive and since we are done I didnt' want to spend a ton a bucket seat. (I did have one that was 5 years old that had no padding). We were able to get three across with the infant seat and 2 nautlis seats in the back of DH's camry. It was tight but doable. I could also get 3 across with same seats in the back of his toyota tundra pick up.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

The problem with the baby trend is that the handle MUST be down while the car is in motion. That makes the seat take up TONS of room (you need the space to move the handle down) AND it is awkward to do so. However, it IS the narrowest infant seat on the market, so sometimes it must be done. Some people don't mind putting the handle down and have the extra front-to-back room, so it is a non-issue. It really depends on your needs.

Other than that, the Gracos don't tend to puzzle well (not sure about the newest Gracos, but that is true of the Snugrides 22, 32, and 35) for a 3-across. The bases flare at the wrong places.

The older Maxi-Cosi Micos are fairly narrow and tended to work well in a 3-across. However, the Mico has been recently redesigned, I don't know if the redesign has hit the market, nor do I know if that affects its compatibility in a 3-across. It would be one to try.

The other one to try is the Chicco Keyfit. It has a squarish base that makes it tend to puzzle better in a 3-across. It can be pricy though.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Baby Trend infant seats are not user friendly. They are a giant PITA to install with a seat belt and their funky LATCH connectors are not compatible with all vehicles. The release to get the seat out of the base is under the baby's feet which would be a royal PITA in the center of any back seat.

I would look at the Chicco Keyfit and the Cybex Aton. They're both narrow and much more user friendly than the Baby Trend seats.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are all 3 seats RFing?

Other question...lifting an infant seat over a carseat to get it in the middle in a base is a PITA. Your baby most likely will NOT still be asleep when you finally get it lifted over. I tried it once and it didn't work for us. Since I couldn't gracefully get baby out, it defeated the purpose of the infant seat.

Does the infant seat have to go in the middle?

You might go to BRU and take an infant seat out to the car and try it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, the infant seat is not here yet since the baby is due in March/April, but of course it would be rear facing as it would be for a newborn. The marathon is FF and the other Britax is RF.

I think the infant seat would be safest in the middle in the event of an accident, that's why I want it there. I was thinking I could slide one of the side seats back in order to put the infant seat in, but I guess I should try it out to see if it would be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Are all 3 seats RFing?

Other question...lifting an infant seat over a carseat to get it in the middle in a base is a PITA. Your baby most likely will NOT still be asleep when you finally get it lifted over. I tried it once and it didn't work for us. Since I couldn't gracefully get baby out, it defeated the purpose of the infant seat.

Does the infant seat have to go in the middle?

You might go to BRU and take an infant seat out to the car and try it.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have 3 across. My setup is britax frontier 85 behind driver, Chicco key fit 30 in the middle and a clek oobr behind the passenger. This is the only configuration that would work in my car. Lifting the baby seat over the other seats is a PIA but do-able, with a wee one that is, I may take that back when he's 25 lbs . I went to BRU and played with their infant seats and the Chicco was the only one that worked in my situation. I think that's definitely your best bet, you won't know how they puzzle until you get seats in there to try. Just to throw this out there just in case the baby seat in the middle doesn't configure well for you, I wouldn't be too worried about having the baby in an outboard position if that's where it puzzles best, my understanding is that you would want your least protective seat in the center and infant seats like the key fit are well constructed. I would have ideally preferred my oldest in the clek go in the center but it wouldn't fit and he couldn't load and unload in the school pick up/drop off line. I hope you find a setup your comfortable with, good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
Baby Trend infant seats are not user friendly. They are a giant PITA to install with a seat belt and their funky LATCH connectors are not compatible with all vehicles. The release to get the seat out of the base is under the baby's feet which would be a royal PITA in the center of any back seat.
I would look at the Chicco Keyfit and the Cybex Aton. They're both narrow and much more user friendly than the Baby Trend seats.
Maybe I just got lucky but I completely disagree with this. It was super easy to install in my van, DH's car (camry) and his truck (toyota tundra). I have no trouble getting the seat in and out with the release in the front. I have always picked the bucket seat up by the front and back, no the handle. It takes about a 1/2 a second to put the handle down. DH, my mom, our daycare provider, has not had any trouble using the seat.

For the price espeically it is a great seat. Just becuase you think that doesnt' mean everyone has issues with the seat. I am very glad I didnt' listen to everyone on here that said not to get it.