Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
emsody22
Registered Users
seller

I used a safety first on board air for fitting 3 across in my Ford Focus (the other two seats were radians).

Advertisement

emsody22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: most narrow infant seat?

eek! I just feel like if we got hit by a car on the side that the infant was on, that he would not make it
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
eek! I just feel like if we got hit by a car on the side that the infant was on, that he would not make it
If you are more comforatable with the infant seat int he middle the do it. Just because someone else says it is a PITB to get an infant seat over another seat doesn't mean it wont work for you. Try it. You can always move the seats around once you are using all three seats on a daily basis.

The arrangement I though would work best for the three kids before DD was born ended up not working so I moved things around after a few weeks.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have always understood the infant seat is the safest therefore they should go outboard versus a booster. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I am certainly no expert.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

an infant seat might be "safest", but an infant is the most vulnerable and small physically. not saying i'm an expert either, but this is my instinct.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
Maybe I just got lucky but I completely disagree with this. It was super easy to install in my van, DH's car (camry) and his truck (toyota tundra). I have no trouble getting the seat in and out with the release in the front. I have always picked the bucket seat up by the front and back, no the handle. It takes about a 1/2 a second to put the handle down. DH, my mom, our daycare provider, has not had any trouble using the seat.

For the price espeically it is a great seat. Just becuase you think that doesnt' mean everyone has issues with the seat. I am very glad I didnt' listen to everyone on here that said not to get it.
We see at least one of these seats at almost every single check I have done. It is entirely dependent on the vehicle as to how it's going to install, but we have problems more often than not with this particular seat. It's that seat that makes us groan when it's on the schedule because we know there is a pretty good chance it's going to be a PITA to install. If it worked for you then that's great. Since I have found that experiences like that are the exception rather than the rule, I don't recommend the seat at all. The only seat I dislike more than the Baby Trend is the rear adjust Evenflo Discovery. At least the BT seats are all front adjust.

OP, in your situation, I would not put the newborn in the middle. Best practice suggests that you put the least protected rider in the most protected position. This doesn't always work out IRL, but it would be my first suggestion to try. The least protected rider is going to be your forward facer. The FFer will be able to enter the vehicle through the front seat and go between the front seats to get to the back or (s)he can go in before the bucket and can be buckled from the front seat. Another option would be to tumble one of the middle row seats, have your two older children in the third row, and the newborn in the middle row.

ETA to address the questions about "safest". Infant seats are no safer than rear facing convertible seats. An infant/child in a rear facing seat is the safest which is why it is recommended to put the forward facer in the middle. Absolute best practice with seating positions isn't always possible IRL. You do the best you can with what you have.

Last edited by monica-m; 11-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm just curious, what advantage a FF rider would have in the middle position over the side? In either spot they will still be FF. Only asking because if a 4 year old was hit vs. a tiny newborn, I would think the 4 year old would fare better from any injuries...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does it need to be an infant bucket seat? What about a Combi Coccoro? Those are fantastic for getting 3 across installations.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Forward facing does not give the same level of protection in a side impact that rear facing provides. The rear facer is more protected in a side impact. If putting the newborn outboard makes you uncomfortable (people do it all the time, techs included) then don't do it. You are the parent and you get to make the decisions. As a tech, I told you what I would recommend in a seat check situation. I also suggested what I would do if it were me and that was oldest two in the third row and newbie in the middle row.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've got to fit 3 across in the back seat of hubby's toyota tacoma double cab... we've got 2 FF radians that will be next to it... I'm thinking baby on the outside and the 2 radians next to each other. we'll probalby go "play" with buckets at BRU.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote