Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've tried to fit that many prefolds in a padded flat Rate. I could not get it to work. I ended up keeping them as rags

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cheapest way to ship PFs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c&w's mama View Post
expaik- you have to be the best shipper ever. (adorable avi btw)

I ordered the pfres from the PO-- because of your thread... my question is- is there more than one size? Like a bigger one we could order for prefolds? I'm going to practice tonight (out of interest) but I'm not sure I could get that many pf in one of those. Wouldn't it be best to ship prefolds in regional rate boxes (when not too far apart)?
Aww, thanks so much!

No, only one size to the PFRE. They're quite sturdy and bear up to a lot of stuffing. Seriously, I have shipped some REALLY fat and heavy PFRE's, by wadding up the items into super small rolls, or balls, and really shoving them in there.

By the way, if you ordered them today they won't arrive for at least a week, most likely. You'd think the post office could ship them faster but they seem to take forever. For me, at least 8-10 days usually.

And yes, if you're fairly close, a regional rate box A will hold more and cost only a little more than a padded flat rate envelope. I'm in California and I can ship a RRA box for anywhere between $5.04 and $8 if I'm shipping to Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado and of course within CA.

The RR-A box is VERY useful.. I'd say after the padded flat rate, I use this the most.

Also realize that sometimes shipping two separate packages can be cheaper than shipping it all in one. I gave a classic example in the other thread, in which I can spend about $5 by shipping two first-class packages instead of over $9 by shipping them as one combined package!

Last edited by expaik; 11-27-2012 at 09:58 AM.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

great info as always!
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
They're called padded flat rate envelopes and they're lifesavers. I do 80% of my shipping in these and save a lot. I've shipped size 6 woven wraps and toddler sized SSC carriers in them. Please read the thread below:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454378
Thank you!!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik

Aww, thanks so much!

No, only one size to the PFRE. They're quite sturdy and bear up to a lot of stuffing. Seriously, I have shipped some REALLY fat and heavy PFRE's, by wadding up the items into super small rolls, or balls, and really shoving them in there.

By the way, if you ordered them today they won't arrive for at least a week, most likely. You'd think the post office could ship them faster but they seem to take forever. For me, at least 8-10 days usually.

And yes, if you're fairly close, a regional rate box A will hold more and cost only a little more than a padded flat rate envelope. I'm in California and I can ship a RRA box for anywhere between $5.04 and $8 if I'm shipping to Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado and of course within CA.

The RR-A box is VERY useful.. I'd say after the padded flat rate, I use this the most.

Also realize that sometimes shipping two separate packages can be cheaper than shipping it all in one. I gave a classic example in the other thread, in which I can spend about $5 by shipping two first-class packages instead of over $9 by shipping them as one combined package!
You must be the shipping guru Seriously can you show me how you folded everything to make it fit? I had 13 premium prefolds, and there was no way I could make them fit. i tried and tried. ripped two padded flat rate envelopes. I have another set I would love to sell, but have not because I refuse to pay more than $5 to ship them!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
You must be the shipping guru Seriously can you show me how you folded everything to make it fit? I had 13 premium prefolds, and there was no way I could make them fit. i tried and tried. ripped two padded flat rate envelopes. I have another set I would love to sell, but have not because I refuse to pay more than $5 to ship them!
First let me repeat the suggestion to use a RR-A box if you're shipping relatively close. It can be pretty cheap.

Second, there have been times when I had to try a few times before getting everything in. If you have one of those food sealers that can suck out air from packages, you can put the things into one of those priority tyvek envelopes, suck out air, seal it around really tight with the sticky tab, and slide it into the envelope (the tyvek outer material is "frictionless" and allows for easy slide-ins!) Even if you don't have a vacuum, by putting it into a tyvek priority envelope and really kneeling on it - sometimes guys are better - and getting ALL the air out, you can do it.

Cloth (clothing and diapers) have so much air space in them. By a prodigious amount of squeezing, you CAN reduce their packed size!

Of course, there are limits. If your prefolds are large, you probably couldn't do it. I was imagining the smaller/thinner prefolds when I said I could do 15 in a PFRE.

That said, I've had countless emails from buyers who have been amazed by what-all they pulled out of their padded flat rate envelopes that I sent them.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
When did they start making floppy flat rate envelopes?
Tyvek envelopes or something like that... I ship almost all my orders out in these.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
First let me repeat the suggestion to use a RR-A box if you're shipping relatively close. It can be pretty cheap.

Second, there have been times when I had to try a few times before getting everything in. If you have one of those food sealers that can suck out air from packages, you can put the things into one of those priority tyvek envelopes, suck out air, seal it around really tight with the sticky tab, and slide it into the envelope (the tyvek outer material is "frictionless" and allows for easy slide-ins!) Even if you don't have a vacuum, by putting it into a tyvek priority envelope and really kneeling on it - sometimes guys are better - and getting ALL the air out, you can do it.

Cloth (clothing and diapers) have so much air space in them. By a prodigious amount of squeezing, you CAN reduce their packed size!

Of course, there are limits. If your prefolds are large, you probably couldn't do it. I was imagining the smaller/thinner prefolds when I said I could do 15 in a PFRE.

That said, I've had countless emails from buyers who have been amazed by what-all they pulled out of their padded flat rate envelopes that I sent them.
Question for you. I don't see an option of a padded flat rate envelope and I've tried just using the flat rate envelope option in Paypal, but the package always gets sent back to me "not enough postage paid"... the padded is like 30 cents more than the regular flat rate. Do you have a work a round here in Paypal? We only ship through PP, so that's why I don't use the padded envelopes.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Question for you. I don't see an option of a padded flat rate envelope and I've tried just using the flat rate envelope option in Paypal, but the package always gets sent back to me "not enough postage paid"... the padded is like 30 cents more than the regular flat rate. Do you have a work a round here in Paypal? We only ship through PP, so that's why I don't use the padded envelopes.
Read what I just wrote in another thread about this!

You're really unfortunate in your designated (or nearest) post office. I myself ship these all the time using paypal's regular flat rate (like at least 5 packages a week) and never had one returned or charged to the buyer.

You can use USPS Click-n-ship to ship the PFRE's if your post office is that anal, but the easier solution is to just stick an extra stamp of the appropriate denomination (15 or 20 cents, I believe) onto your paypal-printed label. That will work just fine.

Also - please don't confuse the Tyvek priority envelopes with the padded flat rate. The former flat rate at all, they are weight-based.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
ashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had about half a dozen padded flat rate envelopes show up at my house with postage due. So, even if it lets you print and ship that way, remember your buyer may have to pick up the tab!!
ashleyo is offline   Reply With Quote