Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need help on making stay dry inserts

I want to make some stay dry inserts that would function like the flip or thirsties duo ones bc my daughter is very sensative to wetness and the prefolds i have just arent working. Has anyone ever made something like this? How many layers of what should I use? I would also need to make them as affordably as possible. My grandmother is comming up to visit soon and she can help me with the sewing I hope, but once she gets me started I should be able to get it done okay. Thank you.

Advertisement

MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Macamommy
Registered Users

Re: Need help on making stay dry inserts

Hi Manda,

I sew a lot and while I've never done much with inserts as far as making them myself, I can give you some pointers. My kids are past the diapering stage, but I mostly used softbums (getting on here to list them). I think the softbums "pods" are very similar to the thirsties and flip inserts. My second son was very sensitive to wetness and he was like a flood when he went, so I sympathize.

More importantly than how many layers you use, is what you use for your layers. Everyone loves microfiber but I don't. It doesn't absorb as fast as other fabrics. I'd take a trip to the fabric store, buy a yard of some different fabrics and experiment. Flannel is wonderfully absorbant, soft and you can stack a lot of layers together without a lot of bulk. Also, sweatshirt fleece might work, too. Maybe as an outer layer with 4 or 5 layers of flannel inside? Maybe also terrycloth, if you can find some that is soft. I always liked the terry cloth inserts for bed time, but I couldn't tell you what brand they were... just something random I bought. I also really like the terrycloth Totbots easy fit diaper. If you can't find terrycloth at your local fabric store that's suitable, just go to a discount store like Big Lots or Kmart and buy kitchen towels.

I don't know what kind of sewing machine you're going to use, but it might be hard to get through all of the layers. A serger would be a great thing to have here, but a sewing machine with zig-zag/serger stitches would make do. Depending on how much your grandmother knows about sewing, you'll need to adjust your presser foot pressure and if possible use a walking foot.

If you want to put snaps in them, Joann's sells plastic snaps and a setter online. I've only seen it for sale in their superstore once. Hopefully the issue is keeping your little girl dry, not saving money. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy these things.
Macamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

If you download the cloth revolution pattern (it's free) it lists how many layers you need based on fabric type. I have a ton of 8 layer flannel prefolds that have worked well for my son who just turned 1.

When I made inserts for a friend, I just bought a bunch if flour sack towels, and pad folded them. Layered a cut of micro fleece on top and zig zagged around the edges of the entire thing, with an X down the middle to keep the layers in place. She loved them last time I asked her!

Lastly, you may consider this design, with a layer of micro fleece added for the stay dry part.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1223723

Also, what about the prefolds aren't working? Are they not absorbant? Or is it just the stay dry? If its just the stay dry, them I would simply sew some micro fleece down the center and pad fold those!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 11-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help on making stay dry inserts

Not sure on type of inserts u are talking about. Had my mom help in making some. I used terry cloth but u could use minky, velvety?, fleece to make. We did 3 layers of terry. Sew like pillow case on 3 sides & zigzag last after we pull right side out. They work well with my pockets. I would try few different layers of stuff. Terry cloth good under mf but when my baby pee it stays in one spot otherwise. Fleece maybe too....
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macamommy
Hi Manda,

I sew a lot and while I've never done much with inserts as far as making them myself, I can give you some pointers. My kids are past the diapering stage, but I mostly used softbums (getting on here to list them). I think the softbums "pods" are very similar to the thirsties and flip inserts. My second son was very sensitive to wetness and he was like a flood when he went, so I sympathize.

More importantly than how many layers you use, is what you use for your layers. Everyone loves microfiber but I don't. It doesn't absorb as fast as other fabrics. I'd take a trip to the fabric store, buy a yard of some different fabrics and experiment. Flannel is wonderfully absorbant, soft and you can stack a lot of layers together without a lot of bulk. Also, sweatshirt fleece might work, too. Maybe as an outer layer with 4 or 5 layers of flannel inside? Maybe also terrycloth, if you can find some that is soft. I always liked the terry cloth inserts for bed time, but I couldn't tell you what brand they were... just something random I bought. I also really like the terrycloth Totbots easy fit diaper. If you can't find terrycloth at your local fabric store that's suitable, just go to a discount store like Big Lots or Kmart and buy kitchen towels.

I don't know what kind of sewing machine you're going to use, but it might be hard to get through all of the layers. A serger would be a great thing to have here, but a sewing machine with zig-zag/serger stitches would make do. Depending on how much your grandmother knows about sewing, you'll need to adjust your presser foot pressure and if possible use a walking foot.

If you want to put snaps in them, Joann's sells plastic snaps and a setter online. I've only seen it for sale in their superstore once. Hopefully the issue is keeping your little girl dry, not saving money. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy these things.
My grandmother is an experienced seamstress but I'm not sure if shell want to bring her Serger with her. I watched a show about sergers on pbs the other day and it was pretty neat. I'll be using my mothers sewing machine and she only has the two feet it came with and she doesn't really know how to see because she just didn't want to. I think my uncle knows more than my mother lol.

I know I went to Joanne's once and all the fabric was pricey; well for me at least. My grandmother has been using up fabric she had to make a few things. My LO is a super soaker with sensitive skin who hates being wet. What a combo.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith
If you download the cloth revolution pattern (it's free) it lists how many layers you need based on fabric type. I have a ton of 8 layer flannel prefolds that have worked well for my son who just turned 1.

When I made inserts for a friend, I just bought a bunch if flour sack towels, and pad folded them. Layered a cut of micro fleece on top and zig zagged around the edges of the entire thing, with an X down the middle to keep the layers in place. She loved them last time I asked her!

Lastly, you may consider this design, with a layer of micro fleece added for the stay dry part.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1223723

Also, what about the prefolds aren't working? Are they not absorbant? Or is it just the stay dry? If its just the stay dry, them I would simply sew some micro fleece down the center and pad fold those!
My LO is a heavy wetter and she drenches prefolds. I have two hemp doublers that seem to help. I'm just getting really sick of stacking a bunch of things and then trying to but them on a squirming baby every one to two hours. I'll definitely take a look at those patterns. Thanks.